+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cheques not to be scrapped in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Mobile payments are the future e.g. Square, iZettle, Card.io, Google Wallet etc.

I HATE paying in cheques I receive. Not only do I have to wait ages for them to clear, but I have to pay several £s to park my car in town too.

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (13th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    What a complete @rs3 it will be without them. Say I have a man come around to fit a boiler (as I did last summer). Am I going to give him 3000 odd £1 coins? No, a cheque is the right answer. I want to post a gift to a favoured niece? Used tenners in an envelope? Sure; postie would love that!

The use of the cheque will wane, but we do still need them, or something very similar.
    Erm. There are other denominations of cash. £3000 is 60 £50 notes. Or, you could use a bank transfer, or they might accept Paypal. Loads of options.

Thank Post
    Cheques are ok, but as a small business person who isn't a full time self employed person, I find them irritating as I have to get to a physical branch to pay the things in, and that involves driving and often (for some of my small clients) can cost me more to drive, park and pay the cheque in than what the cheque is worth. In fact, so much so, I knew I had a job that was going to be paying in cheque form 2 months after I had one of these small cheques, so left it to pay in at the same time.

Bank transfers are by far my favourite way, but with the likes of PayPal and Google Checkout, especially with relatively inexpensive Apps for various smart phones available, you can quite easily take card payments or PayPal payments out in the field.

If my DJing picks back up to where it used to be then I might invest in a hand held card reader so that people can pay by card on the night too, but I agree they are an expensive option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In most European countries cheques are very rarely used, if at all. Its been this way for a long time and they all seem to cope, we are an anomaly in our desire to cling on to cheques.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Was a thing on watch dog where banks would not check the signature on a cheque or much to do with it and just authorise payments regardless.

Think they proved it by signing some random persons cheque as micky mouse and they still approved it
    They also did this on one of the bbc radio shows, all took a cheque from each others cheque book and wrote them out to themselves and signed them with silly names. All of them worked.

7. Thanks to SmellyLlama from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyLlama View Post
    They also did this on one of the bbc radio shows, all took a cheque from each others cheque book and wrote them out to themselves and signed them with silly names. All of them worked.
    I've had a friend where they wrote a check to pay their credit card bill, and instead of £200, they took £2000. Took about 2 months to get it resolved, as it turned out that whoever had entered it had mistyped...

Thank Post
    Archaic idea, and I hate them.

They are unreliable for period of time to cashin for both parties, the security on them is laughable, and the only way to cash them in is to find your way into a high street bank with a paying in slip and BLAH! I just hate them.

I work with cheques a lot within scouting, and we are desperately trying to move parents towards Standing orders for subscription fee's.
    I'm looking into wheither we can setup online banking etc with my current charity bank account too, to help with the treasury/accounting side of things, at which point I will offer Bank transfers as an option for paying for things like trips/camps/events.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    What a complete @rs3 it will be without them. Say I have a man come around to fit a boiler (as I did last summer). Am I going to give him 3000 odd £1 coins? No, a cheque is the right answer. I want to post a gift to a favoured niece? Used tenners in an envelope? Sure; postie would love that!

The use of the cheque will wane, but we do still need them, or something very similar.
    er, im having a new boiler put in my house (today), and intend to pay via direct debit card, same if i was to give someone money as a present if i couldnt see them personally i would just wire it accross the net through online banking.

the whole use a debit card/internet banking is so ingrained in me im often surprised when i get on a bus or go to a shop that doesnt except them, that i need to make a journey to the nearest ATM machine, luckily some of the chippys round here take debit cards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Cheques are fantastic, I have them as a back up, as they take 5 days to come through, so I could write one on the 23rd and it would come out on payday, which is fantastic, no other payment method lets me do that. I also like having cheques made out to me so that there is a proper paper trail.
    I can logon to lloyds and set a payment ( bill payment I think it is ) to go out on whatever date I want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Granted but can you do that in a shop?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, but you can use a credit card...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Archaic idea, and I hate them.

They are unreliable for period of time to cashin for both parties, the security on them is laughable, and the only way to cash them in is to find your way into a high street bank with a paying in slip and BLAH! I just hate them.

I work with cheques a lot within scouting, and we are desperately trying to move parents towards Standing orders for subscription fee's.
    I'm looking into wheither we can setup online banking etc with my current charity bank account too, to help with the treasury/accounting side of things, at which point I will offer Bank transfers as an option for paying for things like trips/camps/events.
    Same here. You tend to store them up so as not to keep having to go to the bank each week so parents ask has it been cashed yet. Then we have some leaders who 'mislay' them and end up having to ask for the cheque again as when it is found they are out of date.
    We have had a big push on standing orders even giving a small discount if they set up a monthly SO rather than pay termly. Seems to be getting there, the only issue is where our funds are group based I have problems keeping track of who is on the SO list.

Thank Post
    Or Debit card and as per Arthurs comment, mobile payments are the future

The future is bright and no its not orange

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Mobile payments are the future e.g. Square, iZettle, Card.io, Google Wallet etc.

I HATE paying in cheques I receive. Not only do I have to wait ages for them to clear, but I have to pay several £s to park my car in town too.
    Think there was some mention of the iphone doing some form of mobile payment, how will that work with mobile payments ?

Will it rely on bluetooth or is there a different IC on the phone that will use near field technology that I think was mentioned on other edugeek threads / google fu etc

Have got a google checkout account so how come you cant use google wallet with google checkout as the payment type or use an already existing visa debit card ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 13th July 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Think there was some mention of the iphone doing some form of mobile payment, how will that work with mobile payments ?

Will it rely on bluetooth or is there a different IC on the phone that will use near field technology that I think was mentioned on other edugeek threads / google fu etc
    It'll be using the NFC technology that has started appearing and being pushed by banks. It is now available in a few Android handsets.

18. Thanks to localzuk from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast