+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives? in General; On our previous domain (if i remember) each users home drive was shared. e.g. on "\server\staff$\test_user" the "test_user" folder would ...

Thank Post

Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives?

On our previous domain (if i remember) each users home drive was shared. e.g. on "\\server\staff$\test_user" the "test_user" folder would be shared... meaning it could be accessed and also their home drive is mapped to: \\server\test_user

Is this how it should be? Currently their home drives are mapped to "\\server\staff$\test_user" instead and there is no share for each home drive?

How do you guys do it please?
    Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    We have a share at the root of the folder eg \\Server\StaffHome$\%Username%, having a share at the user level puts unesesery stress on the admin and the server. one share is easier to manage, and AD will create the folder for you with apropreate permissions under the share when new users are created. Can't imagine how our server would react if I told it to share 500 folders, I think it would up and walk out on me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson83 View Post
    We have a share at the root of the folder eg \\Server\StaffHome$\%Username%, having a share at the user level puts unesesery stress on the admin and the server. one share is easier to manage, and AD will create the folder for you with apropreate permissions under the share when new users are created. Can't imagine how our server would react if I told it to share 500 folders, I think it would up and walk out on me.
    Thanks, we have the above setup currently also, there is one share called "Staff_Drives"..... BUT
    I am trying to setup quotas using FSRM (File Server Resource Manager) and it look like each home drive requires a share for it to work correctly on 2003 r2....

"\\server\home" works, but "\\server\homedrives\home" doesnt work....

Disk Quotas
    Last edited by burgemaster; 13th July 2011 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You do not need to 'share' every user area, just the containing folder. It's also very bad practice to do this as it was a carry over from the NT 4.0 days which some people seem to have migrated from platform to platform as new versions of Windows Server were relesed.
    For instance if you had \\server\yearx\pupilname, only the 'yearx' folder, needs to be shared, not the 'pupilname'. If you create your users correctly it will automatically grant permissions to the cretaed users folder preventing access to anyone else. I can't remember offhanf what permissions the containing folder should have, but I'm sure someone can let us know.

Thank Post
    That's exactly what I have here (legacy issue) and it's a right pain. One share at the top and let Windows create the subfolders automatically is the way to go for sure

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Burgemaster. Hmmm. I feel some light morning reading coming on

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Used to share each userfolder but it puts a massive load on the server and backupexec

We now just share the base folder and let Windows create the share on first login.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Thanks, we have the above setup currently also, there is one share called "Staff_Drives"..... BUT
    I am trying to setup quotas using FSRM (File Server Resource Manager) and it look like each home drive requires a share for it to work correctly on 2003 r2....

"\\server\home" works, but "\\server\homedrives\home" doesnt work....

Disk Quotas
    I use 2003 R2 on one of my ad/file servers d:\home\students is shared and then under there I have 08 and 06 folders containing the users home directories.

I have quotas applied to d:\home\students\08 and d:\home\students\06 and it works correctly.

Ben

Thank Post
    We are currently stuck sharing each folder, left over from old system. Was hoping to re--build all the servers this summer to resolve this and many other issues but sadly wont have time.

Thank Post
    Why disk space is incorrectly reported on folders where File Server Resource Manager quotas are enabled - The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

It says at the bottom:

For Windows XP clients, the workaround is to have the quota on the root of the share (like in case 1). This has been fixed for SMB 2.0 and will not be a problem when clients running Windows Vista access servers running Windows Server "Longhorn."

So the other option is to upgrade our NAS server to server 2k8

Thank Post
    @dave.81
    I inherited a Network with individual shares for each user (also individual statics for each IT Dept PC), one of the first things I did was to share the containing folder for each year group and the staff, re-map the user home drives to \\server\share$\%username% (select ALL pupls in YearX OU, Properties, Homedrive "\\Server\Share$\%username%", %username% is replaced by each of the users username, jobs a good un, althought I did make sure no one was logged in at the time)

IMO there isnt a reason why anyone should be "Stuck" with individual shares
    Last edited by smithson83; 13th July 2011 at 11:08 AM.

12. Thanks to smithson83 from:

dave.81 (13th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I use 2003 R2 on one of my ad/file servers d:\home\students is shared and then under there I have 08 and 06 folders containing the users home directories.

I have quotas applied to d:\home\students\08 and d:\home\students\06 and it works correctly.

Ben
    Thanks Ben, so it could be fixable Would you mind comparing settings please?
    Here is our setup (not working):
    Staff:
    "G:\Staff_Drives\" <-- staff drives is shared. Inside are all the staff members folders.
    Students:
    "H:\Student_Drives\ year of entry \" <-- Student drives folder is shared, Inside are all the student folders.

They have an N: (home drive). in AD this is mapped as: \\server\student_drives\ "year of entry to school" \username
    I setup a quota for each individual "year group" eg. "\\server\student_drives\07" and checked the "auto apply template" button
    Currently the quota shows as the WHOLE disk size (1tb) instead of their quota limit of 750meg.
    When you say works correctly, ours works and restrict them to the allocated quota, but do you also mean the visual quota size are also correct when they check?

Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives?-quotas.jpg
    Do you guys "share" your staff / Student home drives?-quota2.jpg
    Last edited by burgemaster; 13th July 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    From our experience Windows is absolutely crap at sharing individual folders - we always found it would break backups and restore points.
    In the end we moved all teh shares to Samba servers - the samba servers also allow more advanced features than on windows, which is a bit ironic really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I found this whilst Googleling for a method to unshare folders (YAY, EduGeek to the rescue!): Unshare/delete multiple home folders
    I'm wondering if the small script on the last post from 7andY can be altered to not just removed the share on each folder but place the correct user permissions on the folders as well?

REM Script to de-share all sub-folders within a folder
    REM Use when deleting a student year group

REM Set folder before use!!

FOR /D %%I IN (F:\USERDATA\STUDATA\HDRIVES\2009\*) DO NET SHARE %%~nI$ /DELETE

REM Follow up with RMDIR /S F:\USERDATA\STUDATA\HDRIVES\2009
    Edited to add: Please don't use that last line in the script either!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There should be a GPO option to show the actual quota rather than the disk size, we did this for our students.

As for a shared drive, there is the following set up in our place

F:\ - %User area% (Read, Write, Modify) - Each individual user area as mapped by active directory - limited to 1GB for students/20GB for staff and cleaned out at the end of the academic year for students, but never for staff
    G:\ - %Staff shared% (Read, Write) - Staff only access
    H:\ - %Student Share% (Read, Write) - Staff and Student Access
    I:\ - Admin Drive - Admin Staff only
    J:\ - SLT Drive - SLT only
    K:\ - Maths Drive - Maths Staff only
    L:\ - Science Drive - Science Staff only
    M:\ - English Drive - English Staff only
    N:\ - ICT Drive - ICT Staff only
    O:\ - Humanities Drive - Humanities Staff only
    P:\ - PE Drive - PE Staff Only
    Q:\ - MFL Drive - MFL staff only
    R:\ - SEN Drive - SEN Staff only
    S:\ - Sims Drive - Staff only
    T:\ - ADT Drive - Art, Design, Technology Staff only
    W:\ - WPShared (Read, Write, Modify) - Staff only access, "Work in Progress Shared" is what it stands for

We have so many drives which is set to 50GB limit for each subject, but this was at the request of the SLT so that staff dont clog up the laptops and such like.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast