+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Help! Job advice needed in General; You are interested in more than the technical side and that's good if you want to go full time with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    You are interested in more than the technical side and that's good if you want to go full time with this school. As witch says, do be sure the Head isn't close to retirement as you could find a change of leadership scuppers something that should be good for you.

As for ICT Co-ordinator... that worrries me. I'm expecting to be shouted down, but in my view that role is a teaching position. You are responsible for ICT curriculum and planning and will be directing teachers in what they teach... It was suggested that I do this, but I refused on two grounds. Firstly, I am not, and have no desire to become, a teacher (they did offer GTP). Secondly, teachers tend to respond to leadership from other teachers, particularly when it comes to what and how they teach.

I am also school librarian; while I organise book week, I ensure the academic side is led by the English Co-ordinator. My attempts to get the teachers onside in the couple of years our English Co-ordinator was absent in the run-up were fraught with difficulties to put it mildly. The same activities presented by a fellow teacher were much more readily taken on board.

Don't get me wrong, I present to the children regularly in Library and IT roles, particularly for e-safety. I get good feedback from both staff and children alike, but the lesson planning, curriculum planning, observation parts of the co-ordinator's role need training to do it properly.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 10th July 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Thank Post
    @elsiegee40

yes i agree... i have no desire to be an ict-coord or a teacher! and i think i'll cross that bridge when the time comes. we have a new ict-cord for Sep so thats good news..

the head is not near retirement.. but she wont stay at this school forever.. and i voiced these concerns.. cant go into too much details.. but she did reassure me..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    It depends on the school - if the school is small the head may want him to teach all the ICT and then being the IT-coord isnt such a big deal. A friend of mine locally is ICT coord in a local 2 form entry First school (reception to Yr 4). She teaches all the IT and is also the tech responsible for the network. Because she has no-one to tell what to do it works very well, and the only thing she does with other teachers is liaise over how to integrate IT into the rest of the curriculum.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It depends on the school - if the school is small the head may want him to teach all the ICT and then being the IT-coord isnt such a big deal. A friend of mine locally is ICT coord in a local 2 form entry First school (reception to Yr 4). She teaches all the IT and is also the tech responsible for the network. Because she has no-one to tell what to do it works very well, and the only thing she does with other teachers is liaise over how to integrate IT into the rest of the curriculum.
    The thing is that many schools are moving away from dedicated IT teaching these days. In these schools, they'd no more have an IT teacher in the primary school than they'd have a teacher just to teach handwriting. ICT is becoming a tool used in all aspects of school life, so the co-ordinator who is responsible for what is taught and how it is taught requires more general knowledge of the curriculum and that would require a teacher to be undertaking the role. TBH I think the ICT Co-ordinator's role will go too in these schools... there isn't a handwriting co-ordinator, the handwriting scheme will generally come under literacy.

Thank Post
    i'm not confident enough to teach a class of 30 .. i do work with small groups though.. e.g lunchtime club to create games in 2DIY, stop motion animation, garaband podcasts etc.. and then with school council after school to improve the school council part of the website.. so we setup a blog and created some videos to show what school council is about etc..

taking a whole ict lesson is a diff matter...stress levels would be though the roof!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Well in the first school my friend teaches the basics to make sure that they are all at the same level. She teaches them how to lay out things and run basic programs.
    There isnt an IT teacher at the junior school I work in, but sometimes I think there should be as the teachers dont really know what IT can and cant do. They just use it to write word docs and browse the internet.
    It may be that because many schools dont have IT coords, this school may be thinking more of an IT manager who coordinates the use and development of IT which might be just up your street!

Thank Post
    yes i think thats eventually what could end up happening.. one of the teachers was also saying something about developing our own ict resources.. so i guess there will be plenty for me to do..

got to hand in my 1st resignation tomorrow morning

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    where are you based if you dont mind my asking?

As for ICT Co-Ordinator - it is a great role for you to step up into, and if you ever wanted to step into the corporate world, its close to a CIO position

Thank Post
    Birmingham..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12