+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Colder UK winters to be the norm? in General; An intersting article on The Register here: Sunspot decline could mean decades of cold UK winters ? The Register I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

Colder UK winters to be the norm?

An intersting article on The Register here:

Sunspot decline could mean decades of cold UK winters ? The Register

I quite like the idea TBH, mild damp winters are too depressing for me, and I like that my kids can play in snow at home instead of having to find a mountain in Cumbria or East Lancashire to do it. I should also like to point out that the 'Thames freezing' bit that people like to roll out when talking about colder UK winters was due to the fact London had several large bridges from the middle ages until quite recently that so restricted the flow of water it made it easy for it to freeze. This, apparently is not possible now.
    And I get to wear all of the warm clothing I brought for my winters in Bosnia and Germany again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea...we need a harsh winter to keep the pests in check. Beverages heard of ant problems in Germany where the winters are stupidly cold. Bring it on

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beverages heard of ant problems in Germany where the winters are stupidly cold.
    Auto spul chuck?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lmao its my phone

Thank Post
    Wouldn't mind this if our country didn't grind to a halt at the slightest sprinkling of snow and ice o_o

Edit: actually i'm all for this if it means more lie ins on stupidly cold mornings

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Wouldn't mind this if our country didn't grind to a halt at the slightest sprinkling of snow and ice o_o
    My thoughts exactly ..

It would be pretty cool though if we had proper winters again (every pun intended) ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    now my boiler pipes are properly lagged i dont mind. it wasn't fun this time finding out our new place had no insulation on the pipes in the outside shed and our boiler supply froze up for 3 days.

Thank Post
    I feel the same. Much prefer the 'proper' winters, especially having lived in Canada for a while; much more interesting than drab, foggy, damp winter days that we usually get. However I don't enjoy the commute one bit when the snow and ice rolls in. Even if I manage to wind my way out of the estate from hell (mini stone roundabouts, cars parked up everywhere), many mornings even the A roads aren't gritted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    now my boiler pipes are properly lagged i dont mind. it wasn't fun this time finding out our new place had no insulation on the pipes in the outside shed and our boiler supply froze up for 3 days.
    I have lagging and a thermostated heater by my filtration tanks for the borehole now .. hoping that will sort out the freezing issues ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    The trouble is the country grinds to a halt because it happens infrequently, so we're not geared up to it. If it was a more regular occurence then we'd have the equipment to clear it properly/prevent it settling.

P.S. Some people tell me I can be hopelessly optimistic at times!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Beverages heard of ant problems in Germany where the winters are stupidly cold. Bring it on
    How's your hovercraft? Full of eels?

Joe King aside, I'd welcome a return to proper seasons. I can't speak for the rest of the UK, but down here in darkest Wales May and June were wet, cold and dark. Horrible. I'd readily welcome cold winters if it meant more predictable summers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    The trouble is the country grinds to a halt because it happens infrequently, so we're not geared up to it. If it was a more regular occurence then we'd have the equipment to clear it properly/prevent it settling.
    Bit more to it - we have a particularly nasty climate as far as ice goes - we're plagued by the thaw and re-freeze when the temperature oscillates around freezing. Continental Europe suffers less as their temperatures are more likely to remain below 0, so less likely to thaw and refreeze.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 6th July 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post

P.S. Some people tell me I can be hopelessly optimistic at times!
    Also cause we have 'the wrong kind of snow' in that it melts a little during the day then freezes overnight and creates that inch think ice below 6 inches of snow that we had last winter!

Thank Post
    Well it isn't good for the elderly. Colder winters mean far more deaths amongst the over-65s. Mrs FPH and I are house-hunting at the moment and it was particularly noticeable when we were looking in March and April that there was a flood of probate and vacant possession properties on the market and the agent confirmed that this was due to the colder-than-normal winter.

It's also more expensive for councils who have to repair the roads more often. In Finland they resurface all the main roads every year because cars have winter tyres with studs in which tear the roads to hell and back. As it is the council around here only finished fixing last winter's damage in June.

Thank Post
    I'm more concerned about the number of muppets who can't drive when it's icy or snowy and we all have to suffer increased premiums.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast