+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My first negative rep !! in General; Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab As a long time lurker of this forum, might I make a polite suggestion? Disable rep ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    As a long time lurker of this forum, might I make a polite suggestion? Disable rep in the non-ICT forums like this one and most of the others under General (such as Gaming). I can see the use of rep in forums like the technical ones, since it's meant to show users who are helpful to others. Most of this forum is just non-work related discussions/jokes though, which means people end up getting neg repped for things like having a slightly different opinion, or liking a different kind of music to someone else. IMO that's not really what the rep system is meant for.
    THIS is a superb idea - what does everyone else think? Is it even possible?
    Rep should indeed be used for useful technical posts
    BRILLIANT idea!!
    *edit: must give him some rep for that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    BRILLIANT idea!!
    It already sort of happens - you can't give thanks in the Joke forums, after all.

No offence intended with this at all, but I think it says a lot that the top person by rep is MattX, and he's more or less a video-posting machine...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BRILLIANT idea!!
    Agree entirely. This would be a very good idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Rep only available for technical posts.

But, how whould it work if you posted a technical question in /general-chat/ or /behind-red-door/ ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    +1 for Rep only available for technical posts.

But, how whould it work if you posted a technical question in /general-chat/ or /behind-red-door/ ?
    That would be tough, you wouldn't get rep. However I would need a forum for CV help etc that DOES get rep or all my work would be wasted - I rarely get rep for technical posts as I don't know much

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That would be tough, you wouldn't get rep. However I would need a forum for CV help etc that DOES get rep or all my work would be wasted - I rarely get rep for technical posts as I don't know much
    A +rep button on profile pages could ameliorate all such issues - then when you've done someone a favour (and not necessarily in a thread) they can still reward you appropriately.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    A +rep button on profile pages could ameliorate all such issues - then when you've done someone a favour (and not necessarily in a thread) they can still reward you appropriately.
    But wouldn't that still have the same drawback of having the rep button everywhere?

You could make a joke and all someone would have to do is go to your profile to neg rep you because of it.[/example]

I rarely get rep for technical posts as I don't know much

Don't feel sad... You probably know more than me. Therefore you might be able to help me out with a technical problem sometime.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    That's open to even more abuse... I like the idea of removing it from the 'general' type pages - the thanks button has already been removed from these forums.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The solution to this would be a general chat forum for non-technical posts, and a 'general tech questions' forum for all technical posts that don't fit elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I disagree, Edugeek isn't just about the technical forums, it's a community that is so much more than that. Look at the advice and help that is given outside the technical on careers/life problems/work problems etc, that's what makes it a great community and I want to +/- rep people in all areas, including when we have huge arguments about politics/religion etc. Yes, Mattx gets lots of rep for his vidoes/jokes, but would Edugeek be the same without them, no it wouldn't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Sorry, I disagree, Edugeek isn't just about the technical forums, it's a community that is so much more than that. Look at the advice and help that is given outside the technical on careers/life problems/work problems etc, that's what makes it a great community and I want to +/- rep people in all areas, including when we have huge arguments about politics/religion etc. Yes, Mattx gets lots of rep for his vidoes/jokes, but would Edugeek be the same without them, no it wouldn't.
    Maybe if a dual rep system could exist - one set of rep for technical stuff, and one for community stuff. That'd work I reckon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    But if we want to keep the rep for the technical aspects, (or career advice as I have said) then there is nothing to stop you thanking someone in a pm or whatever. The rep system is very unbalanced as some people thank/rep EVERYONE who bothers to answer their plea for help, and some only thank the ones who have really gone out of their way, feeling that the general help is what the forum is all about.
    I agree that the jokes/videos and political discussions are good, but I don't think that rep or no rep will make any difference at all to mattx, and it would remove the chance to be neg repped just because your political view is different to someone else's which is ridiculous

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But if we want to keep the rep for the technical aspects, (or career advice as I have said) then there is nothing to stop you thanking someone in a pm or whatever. The rep system is very unbalanced as some people thank/rep EVERYONE who bothers to answer their plea for help, and some only thank the ones who have really gone out of their way, feeling that the general help is what the forum is all about.
    I agree that the jokes/videos and political discussions are good, but I don't think that rep or no rep will make any difference at all to mattx, and it would remove the chance to be neg repped just because your political view is different to someone else's which is ridiculous
    Witch for President.

/salute

How about when you give rep, a random number is generated [positive or negative] and that's what they get?

No more giving neg rep for things you don't like... for all you know you could be mass +rep'ing people.

I see no flaw in this.
    Last edited by X-13; 7th July 2011 at 10:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a 'Career Advancement' Sub forum, as then it'd cover other 'what do I do in this situation' type questions? could make it private like 'BTRD' too...

15. Thanks to Domino from:

elsiegee40 (7th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I've always regarded rep as site reputation, not technical reputation so I've never seen it as a problem. Also, limiting it to just the technical forums won't solve the imbalance, the only way of doing that is for the OP of a thread to be able to select a post as the solution and for only that to receive rep.
    As for the political view thing, it really is how you word it in the posts and so a few neg reps hasn't stopped me posting controversial views, it's just made me think about how I write the post.
    Last edited by teejay; 7th July 2011 at 10:39 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast