+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 172
General Chat Thread, My first negative rep !! in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta I think negative repping over jokes is a bit harsh, personally. If all jokes everywhere were ...
  1. #76

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I think negative repping over jokes is a bit harsh, personally. If all jokes everywhere were completely sanitised to be made as inoffensive as possible, you'd have no jokes left*. If you don't enjoy it, just click away.

    Negative rep should really be used for personal attacks on people, genuinely offensive statements, obvious shilling for a company (although such users are normally banned pretty sharpish anyway).


    *possible exception: what's grey and can't swim?

    ...

    A filing cabinet.

    This may be offensive to filing cabinet enthusiasts and/or non-swimmers though, so YMMV.
    That's exactly what a mouse should be used for in situations like that

  2. #77

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,050
    Thank Post
    1,318
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Rep Power
    692
    Well I want my second star..so please can all those I have helped with CVs (about 55 to date) thank me or give me positive rep PLEEEEEZE
    Just want the pretty star
    Want it
    Want it

  3. 5 Thanks to witch:

    FN-GM (6th July 2011), Gatt (6th July 2011), laserblazer (6th July 2011), mac_shinobi (6th July 2011), teejay (6th July 2011)

  4. #78

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,152
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well I want my second star..so please can all those I have helped with CVs (about 55 to date) thank me or give me positive rep PLEEEEEZE
    Just want the pretty star
    Want it
    Want it
    Taadaaa, 2 Star General

  5. #79

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    235
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    I don't like the rep system because it does not represent a persons ability to answer the question asked on the thread.
    I think it would be better if only the thread starter could thank the posts in their thread then the rep recieved would be due to the information in the post being usefull rather than plain brown nosing like a certain two individuals that work in a school in the north east, they always thank each others posts despite sharing a office.

  6. Thanks to Jose from:

    markcuk (6th July 2011)

  7. #80

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,922
    Thank Post
    1,332
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    593
    I really like the way CertForum.co.uk have a monthly award for a few different categories of most helpful / best member / etc ... and I used to like the way SpyMac also used to have ranks based around expertise / knowledge.

    The problem with these sorts of things though, is that you have to have folk nominate and vote for each other ... and often it just becomes a popularity contest rather than a meritocracy. You have to be careful about that ... but I am sure we are all mature enough not to abuse a system like that ... it is not as if we have rep miners here.

  8. #81

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,862
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    On the topic of anonymous rep...

    How do you put why you're giving it?

    I click the star and get a message saying I "need to pass around more rep before I can rep [person] again."

    No box to fill in why I'm giving it.

  9. #82

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    not related nor that it helps with making suggestion on how to improve the repping system but I prefer to subscribe to threads and end up learning more from other peeps threads etc, only used positive rep / thanks and aint fussed if i get neg repped etc.

    Just ignore it now tbh

  10. #83

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,862
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    not related nor that it helps with making suggestion on how to improve the repping system but I prefer to subscribe to threads and end up learning more from other peeps threads etc, only used positive rep / thanks and aint fussed if i get neg repped etc.

    Just ignore it now tbh

    I FIND THAT INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE!!

    /negrep


  11. Thanks to X-13 from:

    mac_shinobi (6th July 2011)

  12. #84

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,631
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    On the topic of anonymous rep...

    How do you put why you're giving it?

    I click the star and get a message saying I "need to pass around more rep before I can rep [person] again."

    No box to fill in why I'm giving it.
    You get that error if you try to give rep to the same person again. Once you have rep'ed others (15 others) you can re-rep the person.

  13. #85

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,644
    Thank Post
    858
    Thanked 645 Times in 428 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    Ooh Page 2!! Though I need 3 stars now..

    I've had a few neg reps for having an opinion on things.. classic case was the general election last year.. when someone neg rep'd me and called me a Tory Boy

  14. #86

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,862
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You get that error if you try to give rep to the same person again. Once you have rep'ed others (15 others) you can re-rep the person.
    But it was the first time I rep'd them... I think...

    Can't there be a time-out on it? I rarely rep, so I could end up rep'ing the same person twice but months apart.

  15. #87

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,631
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    But it was the first time I rep'd them... I think...

    Can't there be a time-out on it? I rarely rep, so I could end up rep'ing the same person twice but months apart.
    There is no option as such to do that sadly but I will see what overrides I may be able to code.

  16. #88

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,922
    Thank Post
    1,332
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Ooh Page 2!! Though I need 3 stars now..

    I've had a few neg reps for having an opinion on things.. classic case was the general election last year.. when someone neg rep'd me and called me a Tory Boy
    But to a Tory ... is that really an insult? That is like some people calling me a geek. I am a geek ...

    With the present rep-fest (partly due to this thread) rep is a commodity!

  17. #89

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    But to a Tory ... is that really an insult? That is like some people calling me a geek. I am a geek ...

    With the present rep-fest (partly due to this thread) rep is a commodity!
    Its like Mackerel in US Federal prisons...

  18. #90

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,668
    Thank Post
    1,614
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well I want my second star..so please can all those I have helped with CVs (about 55 to date) thank me or give me positive rep PLEEEEEZE
    Just want the pretty star
    Want it
    Want it
    Same here...but a 3rd star for me please

  19. Thanks to nephilim from:

    laserblazer (6th July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UAC - Negative points to turning it off?
    By mrbios in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 03:59 PM
  2. Reversing negative colours
    By Roe in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th May 2009, 10:19 AM
  3. How well do negative scanners work?
    By sidewinder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th June 2008, 02:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •