+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, My first negative rep !! in General; This is Bristol | Justin Lee Collins' sex gaffe at school awards...

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    But then that is the problem - when is a joke a joke, and when does it become an insult? Personally I see Frankie Boyle as an ignorant man who doesn't know the difference between the two, and thinks that having a go at someone for something they can do nothing about (such as appearance) is actually funny.
    This is a thread that will go back and forth til the end of time....and that's the whole point.

What some find funny, others don't.

When Boyle was on Mock the Week, it was generally understood that you were waiting to see what tasteless joke he would come up with next.

However, jokes don't need to be told, and can be found in ANY context. Take this example, and then neg rep if I was wrong for laughing.....

Back in the days when Jade Goody succumbed to her illness, they were discussing her life and her legacy on Radio 2. It was the Jeremy Vine show, and straight after this discussion, they played Lily Allen's single "The Fear". This is a song that pretty much sums up Goody's life. I sat in my car laughing my head off at the juxtaposition of the conversation and the song. Was it planned? We'll never know.

There is humour in that situation, but I wonder how many others picked that up??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Back in the days when Jade Goody succumbed to her illness, they were discussing her life and her legacy on Radio 2. It was the Jeremy Vine show, and straight after this discussion, they played Lily Allen's single "The Fear".
    You listen to Jeremy Vine, now that does deserve some neg rep

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I laugh at anything, never read seen or heard a joke that has offended me, but then again I don't really get 'offended' by anything anyway!
    This.

If I did get offended - it is a joke and should accept it as that. Some people in today's world are far too "touchy" because most jokes can offend some one at some point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    This.

If I did get offended - it is a joke and should accept it as that. Some people in today's world are far too "touchy" because most jokes can offend some one at some point.
    i think the point being made is, say something bad were to happen to someone in your family and a day later you sit on the bus hearing two men telling a joke that involved said person of your family. would you turn round and chip in with another joke and laugh, or find it offensive that they are telling the joke?

i'm not saying i haven't laughed at VERY inappropriate jokes, but i can also see how it would upset some people

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i think the point being made is, say something bad were to happen to someone in your family and a day later you sit on the bus hearing two men telling a joke that involved said person of your family. would you turn round and chip in with another joke and laugh, or find it offensive that they are telling the joke?

i'm not saying i haven't laughed at VERY inappropriate jokes, but i can also see how it would upset some people
    Well bite your lip and get used to it?

There has been times I have been insulted by some jokes, honestly I couldnt care less. A joke can insult anyone when it boils down to it. If you dont like comedians you have the option never to watch them, I am a huge fan of Frankie Boyle and the way I see it is if you dont like it stick your fingers in your ears and hum real loud.

Thank Post
    I find Frankie Boyle Highly entertaining, people need to get a backbone.

Thank Post
    Personally I think the whole problem here is that neg rep is anonymouse. I think neg rep should be viewable/trackable and also to enter a neg rep you should have to enter a comment as to why you are neg repping.

Just my 2p

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    My view is that rep should only be able to be left with a comment. At least you have some chance of knowing why you've offended then.

Over to you @ZeroHour ! Can you force comments to be left with rep?

Thank Post
    No, I didn't neg rep you, Cesil
    I'm not worried about who gave me the neg rep I was just interested to see that it was (what I thought) just a silly joke that caused it to be given...

...and I don't find Frankie Boyle very funny either as his humour does just descend into insult all too often...

...and I was amused to see Bruce Forsythe included in the list of insult comedians on the wiki entry that was posted earlier...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Personally I think the whole problem here is that neg rep is anonymouse. I think neg rep should be viewable/trackable and also to enter a neg rep you should have to enter a comment as to why you are neg repping.
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    My view is that rep should only be able to be left with a comment. At least you have some chance of knowing why you've offended then.

Over to you @ZeroHour ! Can you force comments to be left with rep?
    You do have to leave a comment when you neg rep, however the comment can be anything. My "favourite" neg rep received had the comment "goober"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the rep system is getting a bit of a joke, people are abusing it (some may say I am abusing it because I give positive and neg reps, but I always leave a name).

13. Thanks to nephilim from:

SimpleSi (6th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    ... but I always leave a name).
    but is it yours!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yes, always is, I think its fair the people know who is repping them, good or bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I think the rep system is getting a bit of a joke, people are abusing it (some may say I am abusing it because I give positive and neg reps, but I always leave a name).
    At the end of the day, it is a row of virtual green bars... does it really matter?

The rep system here and on just about any forum is nothing more than a sign of how long someone has been posting around a forum.

Although I will admit I tend to take whatever anybody with completely negative rep says with more than a pinch of salt... but that's because they're usually the ones with nothing useful to say!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast