+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 172
General Chat Thread, My first negative rep !! in General; What he said...See, didn't make up a word, Vik...
  1. #151

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    What he said...See, didn't make up a word, Vik

  2. #152

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What he said...See, didn't make up a word, Vik
    And remember it is not, "Pendants of the world unite!"

    It is "Pedants of the world shall group together to form small but important collections of like-minded individuals for the purpose of analysing and checking the validity of the use of language by all, whether in written or spoken form, and making subsequent comments and corrections, where possible or appropriate."

    Just making sure people are clear about the goals.

  3. #153

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    Thank Post
    2,769
    Thanked 935 Times in 875 Posts
    Rep Power
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Actually ... bonus pedantry points to @witch.Pedanticness is simply the addition of a suffix to a word to show the condition, quality or state of being something. "His pedanticness was becoming a problem as he tried to re-word the FAQ"This differs from the use of 'pedantry', which people sometimes mistakenly use when they mean pedanticness, and vice versa.
    "Dyslexics of the world untie"

  4. #154

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,064
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    And remember it is not, "Pendants of the world unite!"

    It is "Pedants of the world shall group together to form small but important collections of like-minded individuals for the purpose of analysing and checking the validity of the use of language by all, whether in written or spoken form, and making subsequent comments and corrections, where possible or appropriate."

    Just making sure people are clear about the goals.
    Not sure you're correct in your last use of a comma in the main paragraph. Having read it several times, I would omit it. Otherwise perfect!

  5. #155

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Not sure you're correct in your last use of a comma in the main paragraph. Having read it several times, I would omit it. Otherwise perfect!
    I agree with elsiegee - and also that sentence is uncomfortably long

  6. #156

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I agree with elsiegee - and also that sentence is uncomfortably long
    You both spotted one of the debate worthy commas I included ... Can you spot the other one?

    A hint would be that there were two possible commas, one was included and the other one wasn't. I inconsistently applied a preference around a rule on quotation marks.

    Debate!

  7. #157

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,692
    Thank Post
    824
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I agree with elsiegee - and also that sentence is uncomfortably long
    Gaaahhh, I insist that we debug language in assembly, all this abstraction is making my head spin

  8. #158

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You both spotted one of the debate worthy commas I included ... Can you spot the other one?

    A hint would be that there were two possible commas, one was included and the other one wasn't. I inconsistently applied a preference around a rule on quotation marks.
    Debate!
    You have one after 'not' but not after 'is'
    I was taught that they should be semi-colons, anyway

  9. #159

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,020
    Thank Post
    212
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    - i'm sure it was @Domino @ Bett11 who reeled off the perfect definitions to describe the difference between Nerds and us Geeks.
    Since then I found this

    My first negative rep !!-nerd_dork_geek_venn_diagram.jpg

    It basically proves my point - geek are knowledgable and obsessive. It's why you get photography geeks, music geeks, graffiti geeks.... and also why geeks can be cool.

    Nerds are geeks with social ineptitude, and not as obsessive

  10. #160

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,064
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You both spotted one of the debate worthy commas I included ... Can you spot the other one?

    A hint would be that there were two possible commas, one was included and the other one wasn't. I inconsistently applied a preference around a rule on quotation marks.

    Debate!
    In my opinion, the comma you have used after not should not be present either; you are quoting with speech marks "Pedants of the world unite!". If this was actual speech, I have been taught to include it, but in practice, regular it! (Shame on me). The absent comma, after is, is inconsistent with your previous comma.

    I would definitely not use a semi colon in either case!

    The comma before which shouldn't be there as far as I'm concerned. No matter how I read it, I cannot bring myself to include one there!

  11. #161

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The comma before which shouldn't be there as far as I'm concerned. No matter how I read it, I cannot bring myself to include one there!
    It is there because you emphasise the word 'pedantry' - thus leaving space for a breath and therefore a comma

  12. #162

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,064
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It is there because you emphasise the word 'pedantry' - thus leaving space for a breath and therefore a comma
    But I don't when reading that sentence!

  13. #163

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    @elsiegee40 & @witch Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight!!!!

    Back to the Rep question though ...
    /me runs out the door!

  14. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

    nephilim (10th July 2011)

  15. #164

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    10,405
    Thank Post
    1,106
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Rep Power
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    But I don't when reading that sentence!
    But Grumbledook would - he is very 'theatrical' in his manner of speech

    and a little stirrer as well....

    *You'll never get elsiegee and me to fight
    Last edited by witch; 10th July 2011 at 09:47 PM.

  16. #165

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,064
    Thank Post
    1,681
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Rep Power
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @elsiegee40 & @witch Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight!!!!

    Back to the Rep question though ...
    /me runs out the door!
    This thread has drifted somewhat... we should really have taken this one up in Pedantic Geeks - EduGeek.net

    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...and a little stirrer as well....
    I'm well aware of that...

    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    *You'll never get elsiegee and me to fight
    Different opinions maybe! It's what comes of being one of triplets!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UAC - Negative points to turning it off?
    By mrbios in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 03:59 PM
  2. Reversing negative colours
    By Roe in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th May 2009, 10:19 AM
  3. How well do negative scanners work?
    By sidewinder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th June 2008, 02:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •