+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, it gods have abandoned me in General; 3hrs to install iTunes store on my netbook. Just tried to use main comp and it locked up and wont ...

Thank Post

it gods have abandoned me

3hrs to install iTunes store on my netbook.
    Just tried to use main comp and it locked up and wont restart
    came on phone to post the details pressed the wrong key and had to start again
    Bad night at black rock

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ouch, any help needed? other then a beer

Thank Post
    OK now ta
    I was setting up my laptop for itunes so I could buy some apps for and Ipad - basically ended up in ie settingings changing TL1.0 to enabled (whatever that is!)

It wasn't the first thing on the troubleshooting list! - god knows how normal people cope with stuff like that
    On wife's comp know - my comp still won't start (well it starts but doesn't stay on for more than 3 secs!)

But going to leave it for tonight

Finished off some Xmas whiskey present from a school so happy now hic!

Si

PS But you could fix the mobile posting prob if you fancy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Apple sabotage iTunes on Windows deliberately to drive Mac sales, as I'm told the Mac version is not nearly as problematic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I'm pretty sure Apple sabotage iTunes on Windows deliberately to drive Mac sales, as I'm told the Mac version is not nearly as problematic.
    That sounds like the same level of tin-hattery which has led to me hearing that "all computers have a chip in them which kills it just after the warranty runs out."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's less cloak and dagger than that...They all have Macs in the office, and all staff use them. With VMs for windows testing.

The Windows boxes get less testing and stress use, therefore the versions are less well thought out.

The same is true of MS office for Mac, but obviously the other way round....but just as irritating ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I'd like to agree its down to inferior testing, but I just have trouble believing that the same company that can put out such polished products as they do would be that bad at programming on a different platform.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm told the Mac version is not nearly as problematic.
    It is, never had any problems

Thank Post
    That said, I've never had any problems with iTunes on Windows either... been using it for years...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That sounds like the same level of tin-hattery which has led to me hearing that "all computers have a chip in them which kills it just after the warranty runs out."
    there actually was a tv manufacturer (cant remember who) did do something very similar to that they fitted a part that "burned out" after so many hours of use (slightly more than you would normall expect it to clock up in the warrany period) and they got caught out and i believe they had to replace all the affected tvs

11. Thanks to sted from:

X-13 (6th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    there actually was a tv manufacturer (cant remember who) did do something very similar to that they fitted a part that "burned out" after so many hours of use (slightly more than you would normall expect it to clock up in the warrany period) and they got caught out and i believe they had to replace all the affected tvs

Mind = Blown

Excuse me while I check for suicide chips in everything...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Mind = Blown

Excuse me while I check for suicide chips in everything...
    its the difference between doing it on purpose and also life expectancy. You would complain if a projector bulb which is supposed to do 2000 hours and it dies at 2001 hours would you...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Some manufacturers still put things in place that will help suppliers .. for instance, I have a borehole for water at home and the pump broke (due to frozen pipes) over Christmas .. so we got a new one fitted ..

The guy who fitted it was telling me how he'd been to a conference and whilst looking around the stalls this particular pump company was there with their new "E" version of their pumps. Absolutely brilliant idea as it basically means run a length of cable down with the pump and power and if there is an issue, instead of having to bring the whole thing back up (ours is say at 25m below ground, so takes a while if you can't get the machines up, as we couldn't because of the snow, in fact I had to bring up the manual crane thing in my Discovery) you can plug in a terminal and remotely diagnose it, and, if it's completely goosed, you can then go about bringing it up, but there are certain things you can do if it's not completely goosed to sort it whilst it's down there.

So, brilliant you say, however, this company were actually selling this feature as being a way to ensure return business as with the E pumps you could set them to power down after a number of hours usage, meaning you get a call out, you get £50-£100 for the callout, all you have to do is plug in the console, reset it, and make up something about something must have tripped, it's a good job you got the E pump else we're of been bringing up your pump to check everything which would of cost more ..

The guy who was fitting out pump was shocked and quite appalled that this company was selling this as a feature, but even more so that he knew there are cowboy drillers out there who would actually be making use of the feature .. it does make you worried when manufacturers are doing that kind of thing though!

Thank Post
    That said, I've never had any problems with iTunes on Windows either..
    I was installing it on an XP machine - can't be many new users with PCs using anything other than Win7 so prob a lack of testing the latest version on a "clean" XP machine is the problem (unless something I did in the past turned TLS off )

Si

Thank Post
    Yippee - transplanted hard drive/graphics card/av capture card/memory into another computer and I'm back up and running in mission control Euxton

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast