+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Blackberry or Android phone in General; enterproid In beta at the moment. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    enterproid

In beta at the moment.

Ben

Thank Post
    I love my Android phone & Tablet & have lots of techie geek friends who swear by Android but many corporate users still continue to use Blackberry, mainly because they just work & have better battery life than most handsets. I had a Blackberry on loan last year for around 6 months & I could get away with recharging it every 5-6 days or so. My Android phone won't last 2 days when used the same way as I used the Blackberry.

As long as the Head is happy to stick the handset on charge almost every day & is prepared to put up with the odd bit of flakey behaviour then an Android phone will be fine...... if he/she has geek inclinations they will want an Android handset anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I got accepted on to the beta for enterproid and so far seems really great and simple to use and administer.

The broswer that you have available in the work profile has proxy settings.

No idea of what per handset monthly cost may be when it's out of beta but we shall see.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Nothing wrong with Blackberrys - I manage them on a BES server at work. Once setup I don't have problems with them - strange thing is, all the phones [ iphones especially ] that use active sync tend to give the problems + you can't manage them [ like controlling the installation of Apps etc ] - at least with the BES server you can + setup wireless spots etc etc.
    If it's a once off, then I would say Active Sync, if handing them out to a load of people then I would go for Blackberrys and now the BES software is free [ for up to a certain number of users + some small restrictions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BES a nightmare to setup but is fine if it keeps working. The problem is that in some situations it doesn't and you will spend the rest of your life cleaning up after it. That and you need to be several dozen patches behind on your exchange server the whole time otherwise it breaks BES which is always at least six months behind. As I have said before, if you have a spare day a week to dedicate to BES and its nonsence then your fine but if you would rather do something else it is not worth the risk. Oh, you also need a server with a spare gig or two of RAM just to run the massive stack of every opensource program ever written in order for it to work. On a couple of our servers BES RAM requirements were bigger than Exchange's and thats just to push email from one place to another.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 10th July 2011 at 08:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12