+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Narrowboat in General; I've been asked by friends, after a Sunday jaunt, to find a narrowboat holiday, weekend/week or midweek. Most likely a ...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

Narrowboat

I've been asked by friends, after a Sunday jaunt, to find a narrowboat holiday, weekend/week or midweek. Most likely a weekend.

Has anyone done this and can recommend a company, the best canal and an idea of the price (for 4 people, not all related, so maybe a 5 berth)

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where do you live? Brecon is a very nice for a spot of narrow boating.

3. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only company I've seen is Luxury Canal Boat Holidays | Weekly Narrow Boat Hire as their boats regularly chug past our garden. The Erewash is very nice, we walk down there pretty much every night after dinner and it's a lovely setting. Can't talk for any others unfortunately but that's my view

5. Thanks to MK-2 from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Where do you live? Brecon is a very nice for a spot of narrow boating.
    We are spread around the Southern end. Brecon sounds a good choice.

Thank Post
    Kennet and Avon is pretty good and not too far to travel. There were loads of boat hire companies at our Water Festival and we noticed that it's not a cheap holiday anymore. But it is total relaxation and any holiday planning that is dictated by pup locations has got to be worth the money

8. Thanks to laserblazer from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I've done a few hols, a long time ago. The nicest was a long week-end around Llangollen. The Pontcysyllte aqueduct is fabulous! Boat yard at Trevor, from memory.

10. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I've done a few hols, a long time ago. The nicest was a long week-end around Llangollen. The Pontcysyllte aqueduct is fabulous! Boat yard at Trevor, from memory.
    Oh yes, I've been over that. Not for those scared of heights, but it depends on which side you sit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Oh yes, I've been over that. Not for those scared of heights, but it depends on which side you sit.
    Even for those not scared of heights it's scary! I remember standing on the back of the narrowboat when going over it and looking down below, it most definitely makes you double check you have a firm grip on the boat!
    As a child I spent many years on the Mon and Brec, it's very pretty and very few locks so plenty of cruising can be done! Another highly recommended waterway is the River Avon from Tewkesbury to Stratford, there's plenty of towns along the way and a days cruise generally gets you from one to the other (or read pub to pub!)

I'm not sure of prices, but I know boats aren't cheap to hire unless you're splitting the cost several ways!

13. Thanks to joe90bass from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    That is another possible location we have looked at. Thanks

Thank Post
    I've done the route from Guilford, to the Thames Lock (Shepperton Lock?) then West up the Thames. Very nice and sedate.

Also done a bit of the the Canal that is near Alton Towers, heads through Stoke and then goes in to the Sapperton Tunnel (again I think I didn't have to do much navigation). That one was more involved as there were more locks but if there are a good group of you can get through them no problem.

My Dad always tells me of a route near Birmingham he did with friends that went up the greatest incline on a canal that was just lock after lock. They got it down to a fine art with teams leap frogging each other to power on through.

16. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

creese (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Even for those not scared of heights it's scary! I remember standing on the back of the narrowboat when going over it and looking down below, it most definitely makes you double check you have a firm grip on the boat!
    As a child I spent many years on the Mon and Brec, it's very pretty and very few locks so plenty of cruising can be done! Another highly recommended waterway is the River Avon from Tewkesbury to Stratford, there's plenty of towns along the way and a days cruise generally gets you from one to the other (or read pub to pub!)
    I'm not sure of prices, but I know boats aren't cheap to hire unless you're splitting the cost several ways!
    It will be between four of us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I've done the route from Guilford, to the Thames Lock (Shepperton Lock?) then West up the Thames. Very nice and sedate.

Also done a bit of the the Canal that is near Alton Towers, heads through Stoke and then goes in to the Sapperton Tunnel (again I think I didn't have to do much navigation). That one was more involved as there were more locks but if there are a good group of you can get through them no problem.

My Dad always tells me of a route near Birmingham he did with friends that went up the greatest incline on a canal that was just lock after lock. They got it down to a fine art with teams leap frogging each other to power on through.
    We've done a few day boat trips, including locks. I've done 2 Norfolk Broads holidays, about 35 and 15 years ago.

I have visited Caen Hill Locks, not in a boat though. kennet avon canal history devizes heritage can boats locks

Thank Post

20. Thanks to laserblazer from:

creese (4th July 2011)

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    They run out of a Marina close to Heathrow as their london base, close = 10 minutes drive from the airport. How do I know, because I used to live on a boat in the marina. I have hands on expierience living onboard so if you have any questions do ask away. If you love it so much, you might want to buy my boat!
    Last edited by rad; 4th July 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Boat yard at Trevor, from memory.
    Actually, it was at Chirk. We got there by train.

Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Even for those not scared of heights it's scary!
    For those that don't know, it is an aqueduct, 1000' long and 126' high. The tow path to one side, and the top of the trough (the width of a railway rail) the other.

Wiki
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 4th July 2011 at 03:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information