+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, SMS API in General; Hi, I'm looking for an SMS API that will allow us to include text messaging into some of the web ...

Thank Post

SMS API

Hi,

I'm looking for an SMS API that will allow us to include text messaging into some of the web apps that we have developed as a school. Any recommendations from people who have done this before?

Chris

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only free option is CommandReporter to export the contents for pre-made reports in SIMS, otherwise you have to pay Capita for an SDK.

Thank Post
    I'm talking about using SMS, Text messages. I have a web application that we would like to incorporate some text messaging with.

I did have some awesome help from @LosOjos when I did need it about command reporter last year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_uk View Post
    I'm talking about using SMS, Text messages. I have a web application that we would like to incorporate some text messaging with.

I did have some awesome help from @LosOjos when I did need it about command reporter last year.
    Always glad to help!

As for an SDK, what @CAM says is [probably] right, you would have to pay Capita to use the "Business Objects" (really just a set of DLL's providing SDK-esque functionality).

The reason I say probably, is because I have heard mixed opinions on whether or not you have to pay to use this if it's solely for your school's use; you definitely have to pay if you plan to share whatever you create. This is where I'm unsure as to the licensing when used online... best to call Capita on this one.

From what I gather, support for the SDK is limited at best though, so even if you do find you can use it for free (or are willing to pay whatever they're asking) it'll probably prove to be more hassle than it's worth.

Personally, I'd have your system read the phone numbers from an XML file (tip: use the "ExternalID" to identify students; guest pupils don't have admission numbers!) and setup a batch file to update the XML on your webserver every night. I know that at least one commercial VLE does it this way (Frog), so that should tell you how much hassle it would be to use the "SDK"!

EDIT: and I've just re-read your initial post, you weren't asking about SIMS at all - my bad!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th July 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

6. Thanks to webman from:

chris_uk (26th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I already have the web application written, I am just trying to improve it by sending texts to parents and wanted to know is anybody had any experience with a text messaging API and could suggest which company to use for it.

Thank's to your help with command reporter we have all of the data I need coming out of sims .net on a nightly basis into MySQL for our staff intranet.

Thank Post
    I know from speaking to Groupcall they're looking at making something available for use with their texting application. But if you just want to use a commercial provider most have fairly simple APIs to integrate into, usually some form of web service. Simply send it your data and out the SMS goes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I sent them a message last night asking about pricing. Just waiting to hear back from them.
    I am happy to suck of the cost, ofsted picked up on our need to improve communication and this is a good way of doing it.

Thank Post
    not sure if this is exactly what you're after but the JANET text service mentions an API set

JANET txt

Thank Post
    I've used BulkSMS, who provide an HTTP based API (example code is in the parentmail spreadsheet I published here a few weeks ago, we've also interfaced it with PHP on a joomla website). Also used TxtLocal before bulkSMS. They were cheaper (at that point though not now) and provided a simple email interface.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ooops, sorry! I read SMS API and saw SIMS API.

Thank Post
    There are many SMS API. Eg. developer.hoiio.com

With one http request, you will be able to send the SMS from your web app. I have done this before using Hoiio API. PM me if you need help.

Thank Post
    @webman many thanks for suggesting SMS Provider | Bulk SMS Software | SMS Marketing | Mediaburst. They have been a massive help. We signed up for invoice payment on a monthly basis.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread