+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 24 iPad school band - with questions... in General; How much make up is on these kids ? What's wrong with real instruments. They've got them there. Some of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

24 iPad school band - with questions...

How much make up is on these kids ?
    What's wrong with real instruments. They've got them there.

Some of the mac fans will most probably get off on this, I can't see the point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... the majority of that song was still being played by real instruments - the drums, electric guitars, keyboards all real.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what that song would sound like without all the real instruments......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst it was a nice song to listen too, cant help but feel that it would have been better using all instruments rather than the mix between the ipads and instruments.

Thank Post
    I can't see the point.
    No change there then

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    TBH a windows/linux/android tab could do all of that if the apps where there.

Its not nessicarily the ipad which is good there its the people who wrote the apps that the kids are using. Plus if i was going to make a clip like that i would either use all instruments or all ipads!

Thank Post
    BTW - the point is that the ones who can do, and the ones that can't are able to join in with something sounding a bit better than the traditional triangle and therefore are more included in the music lesson.

Doesn't need an IPad to do this (I've done it with laptops and 2Music) but by golly - garageaband is yet again another top notch Appple App that makes other progs look 18th century

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Doesn't need an IPad to do this (I've done it with laptops and 2Music) but by golly - garageaband is yet again another top notch Appple App that makes other progs look 18th century
    I had literally thousands of pounds worth of audio equipment but once I saw what the iPad could do with garageband I sold it all and got one... or maybe that's a lie as garageband is a bit "18th century" compared to what I already own

Well done to the teacher for getting the less able kids involved but he didn't have to use an iPad. There was only 1 thing there which I haven't seen for android and that's the ability to play guitar chords at the press of a button. The majority of the iPad stuff could have been done with traditional electronic equipment without any change in the teaching style and tbh it would have been far easier for the kids too (never mind how much cheaper it would have been!); pressing one key on a keyboard is far easier than pressing one on a touch screen, same again with the drum machine...
    Last edited by j17sparky; 3rd July 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I'm wondering if the 24 ipads were worth it [ I very much doubt it ] - that amount of money wasted could have been better spent on maybe some teacher training, another teacher, some outdoor play equipment or maybe even improvements to the actual school. But no, it's wasted on something which really in a few years time will be forgotten by the kids.
    Another fine example of tax payers money wasted during a time of cuts to the education service. But it's ok as it's most probably part of Cameron's 'Big Society' in which we are 'all in together....'

Thank Post
    To be honest I'm finding I use my iPhone and associated apps frequently as instruments in the recording studio. What would take me 30mins of fiddling on a real synth I can generally get out of an app in seconds. Also using it as a remote for digital desks at gigs etc. It really is an invaluable tool for pro musicians / sound engineers. The more kids are encouraged to use modern devices for creative purposes the better. Anything that gets them using their imagination and creativity is a plus.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I'm wondering if the 24 ipads were worth it [ I very much doubt it ] - that amount of money wasted could have been better spent on maybe some teacher training, another teacher, some outdoor play equipment or maybe even improvements to the actual school. But no, it's wasted on something which really in a few years time will be forgotten by the kids.
    Another fine example of tax payers money wasted during a time of cuts to the education service. But it's ok as it's most probably part of Cameron's 'Big Society' in which we are 'all in together....'
    ipads and those other resources you mention aren't mutually exclusive, unless money really is that tight, and if money is then you'd have to factor in the cost of paying a teacher assistant every year.

i don't really see the tablet concept as a fad, yes in a few years we'll be another few iterations of the ipad on and tablet/OS combo's will advance, but the t&l benefits and skills gained from using a relatively cheap classroom device will still be there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    a relatively cheap classroom device will still be there.
    I want your budget.

Thank Post
    There was only 1 thing there which I haven't seen for android and that's the ability to play guitar chords at the press of a button.
    Name that app

Si

Thank Post
    But no, it's wasted on something which really in a few years time will be forgotten by the kids.
    Well you say that but I well remember when we got a metalaphone at St Mary's when we already had glockenspiels and an Xylophone - it was really cool (but very expensive due to the titanium coated bars) but it inspired me and led me on to help with backing tracks with Floyd,Bowie and Eno.

So some kid on Garageband might do the same sort of thing

Si

PS I think there are a liitle bit old for outdoor play equipment unless we are talking a school paintball range

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    The ipads were brought in by a group who do workshops, not bought by the school. Very important point I think!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast