+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Smashed iPhone 4... what phone should I buy? in General; I did a bit of digging around and there didn't appear to anything very recent, so I thought I would ...
    Thank Post

Smashed iPhone 4... what phone should I buy?

I did a bit of digging around and there didn't appear to anything very recent, so I thought I would ask.... can you give me a suggestion for an alternative phone to the iPhone 4?

Now, don't get me wrong - I loved this phone. I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means, but the phone just 'fit' me.
    That came to a bit of an abrupt end today - apparently iPhones don't like solid concrete floors... and fingers don't like shards of glass either!

I'm quite likely to hold out now until the iPhone 5 rather than rush out and buy another iPhone 4, but in the mean time, I'm looking for a full time replacement - but can't decide between the many HTC Android handsets, a Windows Phone or something slightly more different - Dell Streak etc?

I've previously used a HTC Hero, but didn't like the keyboard accuracy (or lack of). This is probably the main thing making me wary of HTC's. Have they moved on from that time now?

Anyways, suggest away!

Thank Post
    GEt a new screen and digitizer for your broken iphone?

3. Thanks to pooley from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I've got the desire HD and its awesome - had the nexus one before have the hd is far better then the nexus. - Also little bro has the Incredible which seems pretty good

5. Thanks to glennda from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    I think as Apple have slipped to 4th place in the handset rankings behind Nokia, Samsung and LG and Android is clearly leading the field at present I would be inclined to make the jump myself.
    My iPhone 3Gs contract has expired and they have offered me an upgrade to a 4.... now as if Im likely to with the 5 around the corner.
    But Orange or whoever they call themselves now "Everything Everywhere" are going to charge me a premium to replace it with a 5 when it comes out, Im certain I will be looking at one of the Samsungs instead.

7. Thanks to m25man from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HTC are awesome imo. Easy to root, good to use, keyboard accuracy has been fixed.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    GEt a new screen and digitizer for your broken iphone?
    I didn't actually realise you could do that. Just looked on parts4ipods.com and it looks like they will do it as a service for about £99. Have you seen cheaper elsewhere?
    If I was to do this I would probably pay someone/a company to do it - I'm easily frustrated with small close up work like this!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    HTC are awesome imo. Easy to root, good to use, keyboard accuracy has been fixed.
    Thanks Nephilim. What HTC handset would you recommend?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Im certain I will be looking at one of the Samsungs instead.
    What Samsung handset would you be looking at? (Haven't even considered Samsung so far myself)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Haven't even considered Samsung so far myself
    I wouldn't even consider Samsung, based on how bad their Kies software is. If you installed Kies, you would want to smash your new Samsung phone out of frustration.

I agree with Nephilim. Get a HTC Sensation.

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HTC desire hd is a good one, sensation isn't bad either.

16. Thanks to nephilim from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I agree with Nephilim. Get a HTC Sensation.
    This looks like a potential contender, but a big consideration would be Proxy Settings.... have HTC/Android sorted that out yet? Can anything be done to the Sensation to allow it?
    (I remember that being one of the main reasons I sold on my HTC Hero. In Cornwall 3G reception isn't great in some areas, so it's a real advantage/requirement to be able to access via work wifi etc)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    What Samsung handset would you be looking at? (Haven't even considered Samsung so far myself)
    It put Samsung forward because of this:-

The top 10 most popular mobile phones across the UK, which reads thus:
    1. Samsung Galaxy S2
    2.Apple iPhone 4
    3.HTC Sensation
    4.HTC Desire
    5.BlackBerry Curve 8520
    6.Samsung Galaxy S
    7.HTC Wildfire
    8.HTC Desire S
    9.HTC Wildfire S
    10.HTC Desire HD

But as has been stated HTC have 6 of these positions so combined sales they may easily be more popular.

My last HTC before my iPhone was a Windows phone but that was still a cracking phone for the time.

Another reason for looking at Samsung is that a number of Blackberry staff have recently jumped ship to Samsung including some very top CEO's which is good because I hate Blackberries and these guys must obviously have something to add to the Samsung drawing board.

Must say though the HTC's solid metal body seems to be a major attraction to users.
    So the HTC is also a contender for me too..

19. Thanks to m25man from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I have a 2nd hand, 3GS with a replaced screen, it was a bodge it and leg it job at the market, but has served me well for over a year. I'm now waiting patiently for the iPhone 5, the last rumour i heard was mid to late August, maybe even as early as the 12th...

Anway, if you're the first and rightful owner of the phone, just go to an Apple Store and say " apparently iPhones don't like solid concrete floors... and fingers don't like shards of glass either! " and tell them it's not satisfactory. They will no doubt replace it for you.

I've dropped mine many a time, as have my colleagues and apart from a few scratches they are pretty robust. Smashed glass is unacceptable, take it back and let Apple show you how much they value your custom.

21. Thanks to vikpaw from:

mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    It put Samsung forward because of this..
    I've just gone through a comparison review here HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2 | News | TechRadar UK
    Looks like the S2 comes out on top by a whisker.

I've read on some sites that the S2 DOES work with Proxy Servers, but only for native apps - do you know if this just means via their browser, or whether it is possible to get the built in email client working via proxy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Another reason for looking at Samsung is that a number of Blackberry staff have recently jumped ship to Samsung including some very top CEO's which is good because I hate Blackberries and these guys must obviously have something to add to the Samsung drawing board.
    Huh? Neither of RIMs co-CEOs have left BlackBerry. You must be thinking of Brian Wallace who got a job at Samsung. He was the VP of Digital Marketing and Media at RIM and didn't exactly do a good job marketing the PlayBook, did he? He jumped ship probably because he would have been fired eventually anyway.

Open letter to BlackBerry bosses: Senior RIM exec tells all as company crumbles around him
    25 million iPad users donít care that it doesnít have Flash or true multitasking, so why make that a focus in our campaigns? Iíll answer that for you: itís because thatís all that differentiates our products and its lazy marketing. I've never seen someone buy product B because it has something product A doesn't have. People buy product B because they want and lust after product B.

Also an important note regarding our marketing: a productís technical superiority does not equal desire, and therefore sales... (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast