+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Smashed iPhone 4... what phone should I buy? in General; Originally Posted by mb2k01 I've read on some sites that the S2 DOES work with Proxy Servers, but only for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I've read on some sites that the S2 DOES work with Proxy Servers, but only for native apps - do you know if this just means via their browser, or whether it is possible to get the built in email client working via proxy?
    According to this, only the web browser works through a proxy.

Edit. If you rooted the phone, you could use something like AutoProxy or ProxyDroid. Google will be adding support for proxies into Android v4.0 (a.k.a. Ice Cream Sandwich).
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd July 2011 at 01:49 PM.

2. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

m25man (2nd July 2011), mb2k01 (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Neither of RIMs co-CEOs have left BlackBerry.
    I stand corrected @Arthur, it was indeed the VP of Marketing but there are other reports of other key staff leaving and an Immenent shake up at CEO level by the looks of it if the shareholder have their way. my source was the Daily Mail last week I think, so my fault for accepting such quality reporting.

Anyway good riddance I say, there has always been the Techies (Windows Mobile, Android, iPhone users) and the shiny suit brigade (Blackberry) and Im sick to death of having to support a buch of brainless morons who cant even manage to send a text message from their Blackberries without call the helpdesk for assistance....

As for the Android/iPhone users, we set up active sync and never hear from them again.....

I will also add that most of our Blackberry users also seem to have a second phone which is not a RIM device which I find quite an endorsement that the BB is dying a slow and painful death.

Blackberries belong in Pies, the sooner their stock has the value of a Des Res in Tripoli the better.
    Last edited by m25man; 2nd July 2011 at 02:59 PM.

4. Thanks to m25man from:

Arthur (2nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I didn't actually realise you could do that. Just looked on parts4ipods.com and it looks like they will do it as a service for about £99. Have you seen cheaper elsewhere?
    If I was to do this I would probably pay someone/a company to do it - I'm easily frustrated with small close up work like this!
    Repaired my own when I smashed the glass, got the glass screen and digitizer from supplier on amazon (< £10), took less than an hour to removed the broken glass and replace with the new. Easy repair - videos available online.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    Repaired my own when I smashed the glass, got the glass screen and digitizer from supplier on amazon (< £10), took less than an hour to removed the broken glass and replace with the new. Easy repair - videos available online.
    Don't suppose you have a link to the supplier?

Just as a general update to those who helped suggested alternatives.... I've gone for the HTC Sensation. Should arrive tomorrow!
    It will either become my new love, or tide me over nicely until the iPhone 5!

Thank Post
    £11.45 with the tools

REPLACEMENT DIGITIZER LCD TOUCH SCREEN FOR iPhone 4 4G | eBay UK

he has 1 or 2 negs tho lol but with over 32000 feedback this month its no surprise!
    Last edited by Chris_in_notts; 4th July 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    How do you manage to break the screen on the iphone 4, dropped from a multi story building on concrete or ran over by a juggernaught lorry or someit ?

Thank Post
    my friend dropped his from waist height and smashed the back glass

Thank Post
    Out of curiosity what is the aproximate battery life people on here have experienced with HTC's (Specifically Desire S)?

I have been a happy BB user (8800) for some years and love the fact i only have to charge it once a week (less generally but thats playing safe) and don't want phones i have to charge every night (Iphone's seem to require charge about every 18 hours from my experience of friends units).

I don't trust suppliers battery life examples (Again looking at Iphones that state about 3-5 days) and would rather have personal experiences from people i trust who use the devices rather than sales drones.

As i said happy with the BB as my only phone except there is no camera and prob ought to look at replacing it due to age (It will however be kept as a backup phone as it is unlocked), Used it regulaly for calls, txt and e-mail (Rarely internet) and it's never failed me yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Nut View Post
    Out of curiosity what is the aproximate battery life people on here have experienced with HTC's (Specifically Desire S)?

I have been a happy BB user (8800) for some years and love the fact i only have to charge it once a week (less generally but thats playing safe) and don't want phones i have to charge every night (Iphone's seem to require charge about every 18 hours from my experience of friends units).

I don't trust suppliers battery life examples (Again looking at Iphones that state about 3-5 days) and would rather have personal experiences from people i trust who use the devices rather than sales drones.

As i said happy with the BB as my only phone except there is no camera and prob ought to look at replacing it due to age (It will however be kept as a backup phone as it is unlocked), Used it regulaly for calls, txt and e-mail (Rarely internet) and it's never failed me yet.
    My old HTC HD2 running a custom android ROM would last about a day before needing charging. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and get about 2 and a half days out of it with normal use (I don't bother watching movies on it, it's used for calls/texts/email/basic web browsing).
    This isn't a 2 1/2 days manfr claim, the phone has been on for 1d 15m so far and has just hit 50% battery. The camera on the S2 is top notch too, takes better shots than my small digital camera. But I have frozen the Samsung Touchwiz interface as I hated it, so not sure if that contributes to the better battery life or not.

12. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Linux_Nut (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HTC Desire HD I charge every 2 or 3 days, and thats with playing a few games, surfing the web, checking facebook and letting my daughter play games, as well as texting and phone calls. Not a bad phone in terms of battery life, but I highly recommend an app called juice defender which I am testing and will see how much more my battery can last (so far its almost at the 2 day mark and still have just over 50% of the battery).

14. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    an app called juice defender
    is that the one that turns off certain things as battery drops, like wifi switches off when it hits 20% etc?

16. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will do it whenever the phone is locked/not in use. Very handy

18. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    HTC sense has battery software that turns off certain things as battery drops.

HTC Desire HD = Fantastic phone. I dont like the look and feel of the samsungs but probably work just fine.

20. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Thank Post
    i've been quite the apple fan boy since the iphone first came out and have had every model including the iPhone 4 (lasted 12 months of my 18 month contract) but i have just got the new samsung galaxy s2 and can't believe i've been wasting my time with the iphone's for all those years.

the s2 is incredible buy one!

using my iphone4 as my work phone now and it just feels cheap and actually quite a brick in comparison!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    is that the one that turns off certain things as battery drops, like wifi switches off when it hits 20% etc?
    the s2 has this built in (or similar). very handy! pretty much everything turns off when i hit 15%

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast