Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Uber. in General; I've just (begrudgingly) installed XP onto a shiney new test PC which will be streamed to CC3 very soon. Core ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Uber.

I've just (begrudgingly) installed XP onto a shiney new test PC which will be streamed to CC3 very soon.

Core i5 2500k, 4gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD.

5 minute XP install.

5 second startup. Including post.

I don't know what word I used to describe this to my NM but in writing it would look something like

" ! "

Thank Post
    SSD's are so good!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Thats very impressive, I know @Ric_ 's SSDs are mighty fast, I would like to think that one day, when I win the lottery, I'll buy a stack of SSDs and donate them to the three media suites we have that would be impressive

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have teh same OCZ drive in my home PC, it is indeed stunning but by the time my machine has stopped farting about with post and RAID setup it's 30-40 seconds in anyway. (plus the ich9r chipset I have doesn't properly support SSDs hence it has to run a hacked bios too)
    Took me by surprise seeing XP run on it that quick

Thank Post
    My fancy new PC is dead at the moment.

Core i5 at 3.20 GHz eacher. 8GB of DDR3 RAM. No SSD, though I chose a nice 24" HD monitor instead 1x 250GB Drive for OS, 2x 1TB drives in RAID 1 for data.

I left work on Friday, and the damn thing went to sleep. Lukcily the office manager was still in and she turned it back on.

Last night I stupidly installed MS Network Scanner. And guess what? It's probably sat on a screen saying do you want to reboot now? GUess what? I can't ping it, or access it. The software has obviously turned the NIC off until restart. So there goes my brilliant idea of installing all the software onto it remotely this weekend. I'm really cheesed off about it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    knowing XP you then need to spend another 45 minutes and 20 odd reboots just finding the drivers and getting it patched....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Heh, a discussion I was having at work on Friday too - just how many times have you remoted into a station/server and done something daft, like changing the network settings and wondering why the bloody hell you lose connection to it, or even worse forgetting you're remoted into a server and you shut it down instead of your workstation. Especially if the server is somewhere you can't get at/is locked away until Monday

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Heh, a discussion I was having at work on Friday too - just how many times have you remoted into a station/server and done something daft, like changing the network settings and wondering why the bloody hell you lose connection to it, or even worse forgetting you're remoted into a server and you shut it down instead of your workstation. Especially if the server is somewhere you can't get at/is locked away until Monday
    That's what WOL was invented for

6 seconds is quite impressive, for XP on new hardware, I wonder how fast(er) it would be under 7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will probably find out tomorrow I've always had a thing about shoving XP on new hardware (anything above a pentium D really) especially knowing full well that XP will cripple most the features, won't make any advanced use of the on-die GPU features, won't stress DDR3 to it's limits etc etc. But needs must when running CC3. Thankfully a shiney new Win7 based vanilla network is in the works

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    But needs must when running CC3.
    IIRC, CC3 is compatable with Vista and Win7.

~Disclaimer~
    I may be wrong. I stopped looking at upgrading our XP machines after our LEA told me I'd be personally be liable for 1.25 million, per machine, if it has anything other than XP on it.

Even though they're licenced for Vista.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    ~Disclaimer~
    I may be wrong. I stopped looking at upgrading our XP machines after our LEA told me I'd be personally be liable for 1.25 million, per machine, if it has anything other than XP on it.
    I have to ask... Why? lol. What logic makes sense with that?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    I have to ask... Why? lol. What logic makes sense with that?

Steve

I haven't a clue.

Either does our HT.

I think they just want everyone on XP so it's easier for them to "provide support".

[I use quotemarks because I have a open job logged with them from 2009. And that's the 2nd/3rd version of it.]

X EDIT: Woops. 250,000 not 1,250,000.
    Last edited by X-13; 4th July 2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: only had one coffee... not at 100% brain function yet.

Thank Post
    I haven't a clue.
    I could understand liability for up to "machine cost + software" etc. but 1.25mil? That's some expensive stuff there! :P Maybe it was typo, 1.25!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,963 Posts
    IIRC, CC3 is compatable with Vista and Win7.
    CC3 is XP only now...

Support for Windows Vista on Community Connect 3 and 4 (NWS1903583)
    As you may be aware, Microsoft is ceasing support for Windows Vista SP1 in July 2011. We will therefore be ceasing telephone support for issues specifically relating to Windows Vista at that time. This will affect customers with a managed Windows Vista SP1 workstation either on Community Connect 4 or Community Connect 3 (through RM Client Connect).

With Microsoft's decision to extend the life of support for Windows XP Pro and the uptake of Windows 7, we have had to review our own support for current operating systems. As a result, we have taken the difficult decision not to release support for Windows Vista SP2 on Community Connect. By consolidating our development and support to Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 operating systems, we will be able to deliver a more timely solution to you in the future.

What this means in practice:
    • This will not affect the level of technical software support that CC3 and CC4 contract holders receive for current CC3 and CC4 components. For example any customers operating Windows Vista SP1 workstations on their CC3 or CC4 network are still entitled to telephone support and 24/7 online support for any CC3 or CC4 related incidents.
    • As Windows Vista related incidents are out of RM's control, under a customer's current contract if we diagnose that the issue is specific to Windows Vista, we may not be able to provide a resolution. Customers will still have access to technical support articles relating to Windows Vista SP1 in the RM Knowledge Library.
    • As Microsoft will no longer provide any updates to Windows Vista SP1, any security flaws or other issues with the operating system will not be addressed by RM.
    • Future development including software products (for example, virus protect and backup solutions) and RM software update releases will not be tested or supported on CC3 or CC4 Windows Vista workstations.

(Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Maybe it was typo, 1.25!

Steve

Still more than I can afford.

I'm just a poor tech. Nobody loves me.
    [Spare him his life from this lame CC3!]
    ~Guitar solo~

Wait... what?

Got a bit distracted there...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    CC3 is XP only now...

Well... technically it's XP/Vista[/Win7?].

They just won't help if Vista borks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast