+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Shirts n ties OR T-shirts in General; Originally Posted by WITCH Who says? If the school don't provide a logo polo shirt then a smart shirt looks ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WITCH View Post
    Who says?
    If the school don't provide a logo polo shirt then a smart shirt looks so much better than a scruffy t shirt or sweatshirt. A tie is a bit of a problem if you are staring down into the innards of a machine when it is on

Mind you - teachers around here need a bit of a lesson in smart/casual dress themselves.
    shirts and an overall smart appearance i don't object to, but ties are a big no no. Maybe worst of all is shirt and tie with a sweater over the lot with the tie and shirt collar poking out of the top.....pathetic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    never trust a IT support professional who wears a shirt and tie except for very important meetings or job interviews (they're own that is)....

It appears to be something peculiar to schools, when i worked in industry the
    senior engineers never wore a shirt and tie on a regular basis. In schools, senior IT managers tend to spend a lot more time in meetings and meetings with stakeholders so they probably need to be in that garb a lot of the time, whereas when i worked in the coporate sector the senior managers that spent most of their day in meetings and conference calls tended to be the non-technical members of the team, or it may be that newer technical changes have passed them by so they're left to 'team build' and man manage the IT departments - they also tend to be not that technical because they've been out of the saddle for quite a while.

A proper engineer/support professional should not wear a shirt and tie. 4 or 5 days of the week
    I wear them all the time, and usually a suit depending on what I am up to.

Majority of roles within school are customer facing roles for us, so a professional appearance puts us on a level playing field with most of the teachers and other support staff.

I did offer the team polo shirts with logos ... they turned it down in favour of smart work wear.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    shirts and an overall smart appearance i don't object to, but ties are a big no no. Maybe worst of all is shirt and tie with a sweater over the lot with the tie and shirt collar poking out of the top.....pathetic.
    I'll mention that to HM Forces ... I always thought I looked rather smart in my Barrack Dress.

I would spend ages on my shoes ... and ironing the trousers so they didn't go shiny can be tricky ... and getting creases in the sleeves of your standard issue jumper was fun!

erm ... I'll get my coat ... it is the freshly dry cleaned one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In 4 years of school IT support I have never once had an incident involving a tie. I don't see what the problem is with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I wear them all the time, and usually a suit depending on what I am up to.

Majority of roles within school are customer facing roles for us, so a professional appearance puts us on a level playing field with most of the teachers and other support staff.

I did offer the team polo shirts with logos ... they turned it down in favour of smart work wear.
    you can look more professional and a lot of the time more approachable without the stuffy image the shirt and tie portrays. It's an old school view of smartness that i don't adhere to.

Women are able to be individual and still retain a smart, professional appearance without conforming to a standard garb in their choice of workwear

i think it's time for us men to follow that lead....

Thank Post
    I have never once had an incident involving a tie
    Do mean the nasty, vicious gangs of discarded ties that roam the school corridors looking for trouble?

Thank Post
    Smart black trousers, black shoes, shirt + smart jumper or sleeveless pullover for me here. There doesn't seem to really be any rules here for dress code.

Today the SMT's dress ranged from the Head in demin skirt + brown t-shirty-thing, one deputy in tracksuit bottoms + joggin top, and the other deputy in trousers, shirt and waistcote!

The class teachers dress ranges from tracksuits to trousers + shirt / blouse. PE teacher is always in smart tracksuit (if there is such a thing!).

Today was bad mind you; one of the members of the admin/reception staff was in an almost completely see-through white shirt! (not that I was looking, but it was VERY transparent :S ) Now no-one can tell me THATs professional female attire in a Primary School! But, nothing was said so what the hell.

We've got an INSET day on Friday. Maybe I'll try out one of my Geeky t-shirts, see if anyone says anything;

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Do mean the nasty, vicious gangs of discarded ties that roam the school corridors looking for trouble?
    Once had a colleague who fed his tie into a shredder whist trying to clear a paper jam and another one who had a near miss when it wrapped around the rollers of a litho printer....

...funny now but it wasn't at the time. Now if I wear a tie it's always tucked inside.

Thank Post
    Maybe worst of all is shirt and tie with a sweater over the lot with the tie and shirt collar poking out of the top.....pathetic.
    LoL - bad experience?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you can look more professional and a lot of the time more approachable without the stuffy image the shirt and tie portrays. It's an old school view of smartness that i don't adhere to.

Women are able to be individual and still retain a smart, professional appearance without conforming to a standard garb in their choice of workwear

i think it's time for us men to follow that lead....
    Shirt and tie does not have to be stuffy ... and viewing it as such just panders to the idea that it is out of date.

They said the same in the 50s, the 60s, the 70s, the 80s and the 90s ... let's get rid of "formal" attire at work.

I like it, I think it creates a positive atmosphere and to me, someone who is willing to make an effort on their appearance gets a thumbs up. If they also show that they are adhering to a general policy (ie can follow rules) then they get another thumbs up.

If my lot wanted to get rid of it then fine ... we would ... but I would still wear shirt and tie or a suit ... I look better wearing it than I do in a polo shirt. In my job, appearance is important.

I suppose it also depends on whether your role also brings you in contact with parents ... they often have a certain level of expectations about dress and will treat you differently if you don't meet their standards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Now that I work in a college, I can wear more or less what I like. The majority of the team wears jeans, a shirt or tshirt and a jumper. It's great, I love it

In my last job, I had to wear a suit every day. I resented every second of it.

Thank Post
    Oh god.. I'd hate to wear a shirt/suit in this job. It just aint practical.

If there's a special ocassion on (such as a disciplinary) then I'll tend to make an effort

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Day to day work - shirt and tie for both bossman an me. Holidays - anything goes
    does "nothing" go?

Thank Post
    At the moment the techie and I wear trousers and short sleeved shirt during term time, and whatever in the holidays. I'm still deciding whether to get School Logo'd Polo shirts for both of us for Sept when we move to a new PFI school, or whether I buy a new suit for myself and smarten up.........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson View Post
    does "nothing" go?
    Depends which day of the week it is

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast