Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, No wonder high street media retailers are crashing and burning... in General; About a fortnight ago, me and the mussis were in the HMV at Bristol casually prusing the DVD box sets ...

Thank Post

No wonder high street media retailers are crashing and burning...

About a fortnight ago, me and the mussis were in the HMV at Bristol casually prusing the DVD box sets after something new to watch. She settled with the Grey's Anatomy Season 1 box set and I went four House Season 1 - both coming in at 15 each. Not bad for 20 odd episodes per series I though.

We finished House and I thought "Hummm, it's near payday and I really enjoyed it - I'll go into the local HMV on lunch to see if I can get Series 2."

Went in today and found it on the shelf. Pulled it up and was shocked to see it priced at 45! I asked the assistant to check the price on the till and he confirmed it was 45.

Back in the office, a quick search on Amazon found it for 10.97, or 14.99 on Play.com!

Even if I was desperate to get hold of it, why would the clowns at HMV expect anyone to pay 45 for it?! On Amazon with next day business class delivery, there's still a huge difference price wise!

Edit: Another look on Amazon shows a "Frequently bought together" offer of Season 1, 2 AND 3 for 31!

Thank Post
    And what's even sillier is they sell it on their website for 14.99 with free delivery!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had the same thing in WHSmiths (ok not exactly a big digital media outlet). Various TV series at about 30 quid a pop when play and amazon were doing them for 15/20.
    so you're actually paying for the convenience of having to walk/bus/drive into a town area, possibly pay parking charges, go into the shop, hunt for the DVD you want, queue up, pay, then drive/bus/walk home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    So you're actually paying for the convenience of having to walk/bus/drive into a town area, possibly pay parking charges, go into the shop, hunt for the DVD you want, queue up, pay, then drive/bus/walk home.
    ...which all also add to the cost effectively.

Thank Post
    I used to be a bookseller, managing a branch of a small chain. The prices that Amazon charge sometimes aren't much higher than we paid at wholesale. I also used to work for WHS and even then, with what I assume were much better margins, many branches barely scraped by.

High Street premises and staff cost, so that's why the prices are so much higher than online. That said, while I understand why the prices are so much higher, I rarely pay them and use the net!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I tell you who I cannot understand how they are still in business, Cash Converters and the like.

Has anyone looked in one of those places recently? They have absolutely no idea how much things are worth! You can make quite a bit of money out of them if you time it right

For instance, they're currently selling Band Hero (used) for 80 - you can pick it up brand new for 50 in a load of toy shops right now! Might have to pop in and find out how much they're offering people if they're selling at 80!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I tell you who I cannot understand how they are still in business, Cash Converters and the like.

Has anyone looked in one of those places recently? They have absolutely no idea how much things are worth! You can make quite a bit of money out of them if you time it right

For instance, they're currently selling Band Hero (used) for 80 - you can pick it up brand new for 50 in a load of toy shops right now! Might have to pop in and find out how much they're offering people if they're selling at 80!
    You're right about their retail prices (though it's occasionally good for a bargain), but don't forget that they're a glorified pawn shop where desperate people go in the hope of getting some - any - cash. I'd be surprised if they pay more than 20 (if that) for Band Hero.

Thank Post
    If I remember correctly, I think I got the Season 1-5 Box set of House for 40 (might have been 50). May have been from Play.com.

...Oh, the days when I could/would impulsively buy things.

Thank Post
    Or you could download the whole set and watch it that day in HD using your shiny fibre broadband connection? I think play.com could be out of business soon as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    I too had this experience with HMV just before Christmas last, I had spotted the complete series of "MASH" which is an American comedy, based on a medical core in Korea.

It was priced at 39.95 for the compete 1 - 11 series around 50 discs (approx).

I didn't buy it at the time as my wife said I might get it from the kids for Christmas anyway I didn't so went back to the HMV but they had sold out, i was told by the assistant if I went to their online store I could obtain it from there, looked online and it was 120.00 so then the guy said that they could order it in special for me................................at the same price as it was advertised at on their website store.

I have waited and lucky for me it has come back around again at the price of 39.95 and I have bought it this time.

Thank Post
    I buy most of mv DVDs from Australia as it works out cheaper, including the postage. Space 1999 is 40 a series locally and cost me 22 (inc postage) from Oz. The Addams Family was 3 x 19.99 locally (three series) or 37 (inc postage) for a box set of all three series from Oz.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    I buy most of mv DVDs from Australia as it works out cheaper, including the postage. Space 1999 is 40 a series locally and cost me 22 (inc postage) from Oz. The Addams Family was 3 x 19.99 locally (three series) or 37 (inc postage) for a box set of all three series from Oz.
    Are they the same region as the UK then?

Have any links to which sites in Oz you use and will ship to the UK?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a nice little app which does code scanning (barcode, QR Code, etc) and I am more than happy to use it whilst in store to check out the price and the availability elsewhere. Saying that ... I do not automatically put the product down and decide to order elsewhere. I might still buy it, depending on the price difference, and I have been left high and dry before when trying to order stuff online and been promised next day / 5 days ... only for it to take a few weeks ... and the 3 saving just ain't worth it.

Also, if I am in a smaller, more bespoke shop then I am happy to pay a little extra as they often do a crackin' service when I need to find something a little more interesting. I miss the local record shop where someone would recommend me particular artists / bands because they know I like to buy Queen / Bowie / The Saw Doctors / Mr Blobby (long story). When working in a small WH Smith store in Crewe the record counter team did this a lot .. so it is not just the small independent stores that give this level of service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One thing that i find really refreshing about this country, well sydney at least, you still have the little shops in the town. Here theres the butcher, the baker, the fruit and veg shop, the fishmonger, the wee shop that sells the newspapers. I guess because the country is so spread out it is possible, and online delivery takes anything from 3 days, next day delivery is all but uneard of.

Thank Post
    I had to use an Oz supplier to get the 2 "Doc Martin" films that Sky produced prior to ITV taking over. I'm still not sure they've ever been released over here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast