+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Bluray.....has it really taken off?? in General; Hi I just wanted to get other people's perspective on Bluray.... I am planning on get rid of my DVD ...
    Thank Post

Bluray.....has it really taken off??

Hi

I just wanted to get other people's perspective on Bluray....

I am planning on get rid of my DVD recorder....mainly because its crap and never works and was the biggest purchase mistake I have made to date.....( Its a Samsung DVD-SH855M recorder if anyones interested in knowing)

I was thinking of replacing it with a Bluray recorder but have noticed that apart from Panasonic no other brand seems to be making the recorders??

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason why other brands haven't jumped on the bandwagon?? I thought Bluray was quite popular based on the stocks in stores and blockbuster??

Are there better ways to record tv/sky programs? Is hard drive the other viable option?

Just be interested to see other peoples view on this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its all about PVRs now. Recording to removeable media is not the most popular method of doing things.

If you've got sky, there's Sky+. If you've got freeview, there's hundreds of PVR options.

I've not recorded TV to a disc or tape for 10 years now.

I have bought a Blu Ray player though - but I chose it based on the fact that it also connects to the net via various services so I can watch things like Youtube etc... I also have BT Vision, which is another online service.

I'd say skip the Blu Ray recorder, and look at hard disk recording, and internet streaming.

Thank Post
    Unless it needs to be portable why use disks when you can use hdd and if it needs to be portable how about media centre pc then burn/copy off as needed

Thank Post
    I wouldn't bother with a Blu-ray Recorder. For TV a PVR is far better unless you really care about long term archiving.

As for BD as a whole, I buy a lot of disks still as the quality is still so much better than the rubbish they get away with calling "HD" from iTunes and other streaming services. I admit tho I really hate storing physical media as they still take up a lot of space. I wouldn't dream of keeping thousands of music CDs around anymore so I can certainly see why digital downloads are the long term future.

Thank Post
    I dunno, I love my media bookcase with 400 DVD's/blue rays in it. Same reason I like my bookcase. I have my book collections (mostly my entire works of Terry Pratchett) in a single row in publication order. It just looks good.

Eventually I will go HDD based storage and that makes sense, but until then I love my bluerays.

I use V+ to record TV, but tbh there isn't anything I'd want to keep on there after I watch it, and if I do, I'll buy the DVD/blue ray.

Thank Post
    My DVD collection was ripped to hard disk a good while ago. XBMC just makes things a hell of a lot more convenient.

Thank Post
    Personally i like having my Movies on disk. I have a collection of around 350 dvd's and slowly building my collection of BlueRay films now which is at about 60. As for recording i generally use catch up service from virgin media or iplayer. If i want to record other things i would use the likes of V+ or Sky+ but as i have neither i rely on catch up. Don't see the need for the recorders now to be honest.

Thank Post
    Can't say I'd consider a blu-ray recorder, did have one in my last laptop, but i didn't buy the laptop because of it and never used it as a recorder the whole time i had it. HDD is really the way to go, Blu-ray is going to be overtaken by streaming media/downloads. But if you do want a blu-recorder for a specific archiving purpose or something else, just seen this HDD & Blu-ray recorder, might be best of both worlds for you

Panasonic DMR-BWT700 HDD and Blu-ray recorder combo ? reghardware

Thank Post
    never burned anything to disk in a long time, as everyone else here i stream or record to a PVR, i also have a 5TB Buffalo station set up which i have moved my DVD collection on to.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also bluray media is incredibly expensive and if its anything like recordable dvds I'm guesing it will "rot" away in a couple of years anyway.

Personally I use a Qnap NAS in my home setup to stream and record tv shows. MeediOS as the frontend.

Thank Post
    I have my ps3 for blu ray playback and virgin media box for recording telly shows

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread