+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Youtube (and simliar) access for teachers in General; More and more teachers want to use online videos for teaching support but as a default youtube etc are blocked ...

Thank Post

Youtube (and simliar) access for teachers

More and more teachers want to use online videos for teaching support but as a default youtube etc are blocked (certainly here in Lancs)

in the half-term I set up a teacher friend's latop with real player which has a very easy to use youtube download tool. She downloaded a load of videos for a theme week ,put them on a mem stick and I set up the hall laptop with real player as well to play them back.

All good but required a fair bit of forward planning.

But we can now take control of most of our filtering and me and and the ict-coords came up with a cunning plan

Take most of the filtering off the admin network (only head and school sec on it ) and setup a laptop in the suite and provide the admin network to it instead of curric and then all the teachers can just logon to it and do their downloading and log-off (will set a short screen timeout just in case they don't )

So going to try and set this up next week.

When I was talking to the tech at my wife's school, he said they just used a 3G dongle at another school when they needed to do that sort of thing so that's another approach (obvious theoretical security issues/contravening geneva convention etc with this approach but in practice should be OK )

Si

Thank Post
    If you can control filtering then why not allow access to those staff that need access to YouTube for teaching purposes? It's a valid reason?

Thank Post
    We can't control filtering via username - We've got one set of settings for the admin network and one set for the curric.

(We are "lucky" to get that - it requires a signed letter - in blood - countersigned by the head's great-great-grandmother just to get that )

And I don't run AD so even if there was some LDAP/AD intergrated techy solution thinghy I wouldn't be able to use it anyway

Si

Thank Post
    Lucky for us our filtering links to AD and us username based. Thus I can block it for the pupils and not the teachers.

Where it gets massively frustrating is where they say "we need the pupils to use it for teaching and learning in these lessons" which is then often followed by "it must be blocked pupils are not working, just watching silly videos" and then me screamig "mak your mind up!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    We are trying to think of a way around this - I will unblock specific videos if given notice. The boss has decided that it should be part of the subject development in that the subject leader spends some time looking at the curruculum and compiling a list of clips they want and I unblock them.
    As for downloading them - we have had issues with them not playing even when downloaded.

Thank Post
    we unblock sites like youtube, facebook and then use Smoothwall to block years 7-11 from these sites, we have a bypass password that can be used if 7-11 need these sites.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    D/l youtube videos is against their t&c's

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    We can't control filtering via username - We've got one set of settings for the admin network and one set for the curric.

(We are "lucky" to get that - it requires a signed letter - in blood - countersigned by the head's great-great-grandmother just to get that )

And I don't run AD so even if there was some LDAP/AD intergrated techy solution thinghy I wouldn't be able to use it anyway

Si
    Could you do a little hack with the host file?

9. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

SimpleSi (26th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Si, You need a filter or proxy that you can put on 2 different ports. Unblock Youtube at the LGFL and set one port for the teachers log on and another for students. You wont have to worry about usernames and I am sure a simple squid setup would cater for this with some sort of rule to block youtube on the student proxy. If needs be I am sure you could run 2 virtual instances, but I doubt this is necessary.

Thank Post
    Si, You need a filter or proxy that you can put on 2 different ports. Unblock Youtube at the LGFL and set one port for the teachers log on and another for students.
    Do you mean physical ports or tcp/ip ports???

What I normally have is teacher machines (connected to smartboard/projector) and wired to curric network and teacher laptops that wirelessly connect using same wifi as pupils laptops.

@plexer
    You are of course correct. Just as true is that much of the material that the teachers want to us on youtube is hosted illegally by them - so I'm downloading illegally as opposed to streaming illegally - I'll just have to accept the extra months added to my sentence when they drag me into court

Thank Post
    @irsprint84

What a clever little idea - I'm assuming you mean unblock it on the filter and then just do something like redirect it to 127.0.0.1 using the hosts file on the pupil machines?

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @irsprint84

What a clever little idea - I'm assuming you mean unblock it on the filter and then just do something like redirect it to 127.0.0.1 using the hosts file on the pupil machines?

Si
    I know you dont have group policy but I use host files for students at moment (bug with filtering system but wont go into that!) I have a host file for students when they login with group policy that puts a student hosts file redirectign things like youtube to yahoo (kids get confused ) then a different hosts file for staff, for my type for network not the best but filtering be fixed in Summer. The ay you describe your network

14. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

Thank Post
    I meant tcp ports.

16. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The whole youTube thing has caused me now end of grief over the last couple years, partly why I managed to get ClickView installed in the School last year which has proved very popular. Of course, other video library systems are available which are also free.

My major concern with youTube is licensing. Just because its on youTube doesn't necessarily mean you can view it in a classroom. With a ERA and ERA+ licence in place, anything that has been FTA (free to air) we can legally store and stream to teachers and students internally with clogging up the bandwidth. It is possible to download youTube stuff, but as mentioned its really against their T&Cs.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread