+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Online Library for the LRC in General; Morning all, We are currently looking at updating our library (and it really does need it...) and have been asked ...
    Thank Post

Online Library for the LRC

Morning all,

We are currently looking at updating our library (and it really does need it...) and have been asked whether we should move in the direction of having an LRC rather than a library and using the internet more rather than purchasing lots of books. When I was at university we used the online library Archive "Athens" for all of our research and I am just wondering if anyone knows of a similar resource which could be used at secondary and 6th form level? does anyone use something similar to this or know of anything I can take a look at?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd see keep some sort of physical book presence, even if it's ebook readers and a bunch of ebooks on them. Simply, books (and ebooks) are much more comfortable to read than a computer screen, and much more easily portable.

All of the online libraries I know of tend to be somewhat more academic than you might be looking for.

3. Thanks to jamesb from:

Zenden (24th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I'd see keep some sort of physical book presence, even if it's ebook readers and a bunch of ebooks on them. Simply, books (and ebooks) are much more comfortable to read than a computer screen, and much more easily portable.

All of the online libraries I know of tend to be somewhat more academic than you might be looking for.
    I am sure we will keep the best of what we have for the LRC but a lot of our books are just outdated and kind of useless at this point. Perhaps ebook readers could be an option if we can figure out a logical way of keeping them charged and lending them out etc. I will mention it to my line manager.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenden View Post
    I am sure we will keep the best of what we have for the LRC but a lot of our books are just outdated and kind of useless at this point. Perhaps ebook readers could be an option if we can figure out a logical way of keeping them charged and lending them out etc. I will mention it to my line manager.
    Amazon are meant to be bringing in ebook lending at some point (up to 14 days loan) and there other various free programs available for reading. One option might be, once they've bought this in, a central 'library' account which can loan books to the kid's accounts on request. I don't know how the legality of this would work, though I can't spot any obvious problems (if the books are authorised for lending, they're authorised for lending) and the system would need some planning.

6. Thanks to jamesb from:

Zenden (24th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Amazon are meant to be bringing in ebook lending at some point (up to 14 days loan) and there other various free programs available for reading. One option might be, once they've bought this in, a central 'library' account which can loan books to the kid's accounts on request. I don't know how the legality of this would work, though I can't spot any obvious problems (if the books are authorised for lending, they're authorised for lending) and the system would need some planning.
    that sounds like it could be an option, we had a "uni" account for athens which we all had linked to our personal accounts so i could see this working in a similar way. Ill keep my eyes open for news from amazon.

Cheers mate.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread