+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Quick Advice About Quitting in General; Hello All, My partner and I really want to relocate from Essex to Bristol. Has anyone got any advice about ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quick Advice About Quitting

Hello All,

My partner and I really want to relocate from Essex to Bristol. Has anyone got any advice about job hunting when you wanting to relocate (bearing in mind i'd have to travel 400 (round-trip) miles for an interview. Has anyone here done this? Should I quit my job first, or should I tell my boss about my plans in the hope he'll give me some time off to travel for interviews ()? I was just thinking of pulling a sicky every time I had to travel, but he might get a tad suspicious, and I tend to feel guilty about these things.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Always try to find new work when you have a job is something I have always been told.

I would tell him your plans really, as its not that you want to leave your place of work because you don't like it, jsut that you want to relocate entirely. Depends ont eh relationship with your boss though ofcourse.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I was going to relocate from Surrey to Norfolk and I told my boss my plans - he supported me and was really nice about it.

I didnt make the move in the end (sadly!).

Speak to your boss.

4. Thanks to IanT from:

basicchannel (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aww, you should have IanT, I love Norfolk! I did want to move to Norwich (my hometown) but lack of jobs has really restricted me. Bristol is my second choice and seems to have a much bigger selection of IT jobs.

Right, i'll ttry and pluck up the courage to speak to the boss (we do have quite a good relationship).

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    Aww, you should have IanT, I love Norfolk! I did want to move to Norwich (my hometown) but lack of jobs has really restricted me. Bristol is my second choice and seems to have a much bigger selection of IT jobs.

Right, i'll ttry and pluck up the courage to speak to the boss (we do have quite a good relationship).
    Tell me about it! - this was about 4 years ago me and the other half were gonna move up there, had 3 job interviews, was offered all 3 but the pay was laughable! and they wouldnt up it.

Norfolk is a beautiful part of the country, plus cheap houses! and the coast is lovely, I think we wanna try again in a few more years.

Bristol is also a lovely place, went there about 2 years ago.

JPS
    Thank Post
    I wouldnt recommend quitting before having something to go to unless you have plenty of money to keep you going for a while. I havent done that extreme - I did what you were doing but Essex to Derby (150miles) and did interviews by booking holiday (didnt work in a school at the time). The employer is obliged (fairly sure this is right) to give you a day off for interview but not 2 days so your travelling will need to be in the evening/early morning. If you are fortunate like me and got the first job i interviewed for then it wont be too bad for your employer but obviously you could end up having a number of interviews, that could lead to potentially a lot of sick days on your record - something you want kept clean as possible. Is there someone at work you can have a confidential chat with and just get a second opinion from someone who actually works with you and knows the ins and outs (politics) of how your place works?

Thank Post
    Me and t'other half relocated from Cheltenham to Norfolk about three years ago; managed to combine the move with upgrading myself from technician to a network manager after 3 or 4 interviews for various jobs. Working in a school already council rules were in effect, so i was able to get paid leave for interviews. T'other half's parents lived near enough to Norfolk that i had a base to spend the night before the interview and could then travel straight back to Gloucestershire after (generally via the KFC at South Mimms services on the M25!).

My advice would be to be as selective as you can about the roles you apply for so that you're not travelling huge distances for a job that might well not pay enough or hold your interest; admittedly in the current climate your options might be limited. Also let your boss know your plans - its a legit reason that doesn't reflect on him/her or where you work now and him/her being unhelpful isn't going to make you less keen to leave..

We found it more complex to find a new rental property whilst running out the one we were in and moving everything ourselves in a large van. That said we moved most of the stuff one weekend, i started that monday, whilst t'other half finished with her job and the old house for a couple of weeks. Worked out perfectly for her as well as she had been made redundant and was let go with with a payment ready to get a new job in Norfolk.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=IanT] Norfolk is a beautiful part of the country, plus cheap houses! and the coast is lovely, I think we wanna try again in a few more years. [QUOTE]

Noticably drier and windier than the south west where i lived before; they do like their cake and selling things out the front garden round here too!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice. Where I work is very friendly but I don't really trust anyone; it's very much a 'smile and be polite' environment, but you have to be VERY careful about who you speak to (crazy, I know). I'm sure I must be able to speak in complete confidence to someone, in a legal sense (like you would with a doctor)? Possibly someone in HR (although they do love a bit of gossip, which worries me).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    Working in a school already council rules were in effect, so i was able to get paid leave for interviews.
    That's interesting. So as an employee of the council you were entitled to paid leave for interviews? I thought this might be a possibility but a very slim one.

JPS
    Thank Post
    That's interesting. So as an employee of the council you were entitled to paid leave for interviews? I thought this might be a possibility but a very slim one.
    I've always had paid leave for an interview wherever I've been working. Guess it depends on how kind your employer is?

Thank Post
    It might depend on the council you're employed by, but here in Durham, if I were to apply for a post with another council, then I am entitled to paid leave for interviews. I'm almost certain its an LGA thing, as moving between councils is quite common. Might be worth asking your union rep if you're unsure of asking anyone you work with. Then again, I've always been given paid leave for interviews, whether with another council or not.

Round trips unfortuantely are a side effect of relocating and trying to find work. I was doing 600+ mile round trips from Plymouth to the North East when I left the navy! Fortunately, I got offered the first job I was interviewed for. Best of luck in yours!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Speak to your Boss!

I am in the same boat. I want to move from Suffolk to Northants, later in the year, and although my Boss has said that he doesn't WANT me to leave, he fully understands that I need to move to further myself, and be closer to my family.

He is a star!

Hope you have as good a relationship with your boss....but there's nothing really to be scared of!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread