+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Fraser Spiers Blog: Apple, Ipads and effective use in education in General; I've been thinking on this as we are getting to that point where room equipment needs refreshing and discussed with ...

Thank Post
    I've been thinking on this as we are getting to that point where room equipment needs refreshing and discussed with a couple of teachers and the biggest concern that has been voiced is that the screen will not be big enough. We have 70"+ IWBs at the moment, at 4:3. 50" screen would be widescreen so at a random poll of the internet I come up with dimensions of 120.52x72.42, giving an area of 87242cm^2. Currently our dimensions of our smallest board are 109.5x146 giving an area of 15987cm^2. That is a fair amount of lost space. The teachers I spoke to said that the screen would be too small unless they all gathered around the front.

One of the teachers I clued into this and wanted an opinion from hates his whiteboard but he said the whiteboard would win over this as the whiteboard you can at least "write" on it or annotate something being shown. With a TV screen you would loose that area unless you start faffing with typing or launching a program to use as a whiteboard (think Fraiser uses Penultimate to simulate a board) & then you loose your features such being able to annotate web pages or random apps.

No one seems to use the point that is really pushed for IWBs, to save a whole board of annotations for a later, but do use bringing up a file and annotating it.

The IT teacher I spoke to said that they do use the interactive part of the board to present from the front & to get kids up to show but with a "device" that could suffice.

So my conclusions are that the boards could go if the interactive feature could be replicated (tablet with RDP/VNC, remote mouse, remote wacom tablet,etc). A DECENT projector is what is really needed. My thought on replicating this & spending less. Dump the IWB, keep the projector (if it is a decent one) but paint the surface to project on with whiteboard paint. Not sure how glossy or reflective it is but this would add some interactivity to the setup. Create a diagram on the computer and it can be annotated on the "whiteboard" wall, or have a blank table that can be filled in. Use a big enough bit of wall and you can have your objectives, date & overarching question permanently displayed in one corner without taking up screen space or going missing when swapping documents.

His is a nice setup & looks perfect for his teaching space and style but I can't see it working wholesale, even ignoring the whole Apple centric view of it. But he does have a point about boards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    paint the surface to project on with whiteboard paint. Not sure how glossy or reflective it is but this would add some interactivity to the setup.
    i'd assume it is not glossy at all otherwise pupils will see the reflection of the projector bulb on the wall

Thank Post
    Just painting a wall is something i've done and suggested elsewhere before, rather than messing with the costs and troubles of installing whiteboards, interactive or otherwise.

Out of curiousity, how many have had teachers over time that have asked/insisted on having a traditional Whiteboard next to their IWB?

I've come across too many to list, and just goes to highlight my views on IWB's; that the main culprits want IWB's because others have them, and often don't use them to the best of their abilities when they do have them.

I've been with a teacher before that didn't realise a board was an IWB for 6 months, I've had others not notice their pens were missing for months at a time, others has dead batteries in the pens. The numbers are the minority, but more than I'd ever care to put a number to.

Has anyone come across any "Non smart" Tablets for using with displays that they can recommend?

And anyone recommend any decent wireless keyboard/mice sets?

I've got to source one for the main hall this summer among a couple other rooms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Just painting a wall is something i've done and suggested elsewhere before, rather than messing with the costs and troubles of installing whiteboards, interactive or otherwise.
    The whiteboard paint has teh added benefit of being writeable too.

Out of curiousity, how many have had teachers over time that have asked/insisted on having a traditional Whiteboard next to their IWB?
    This isanother thing that has prompted me to think about this

Has anyone come across any "Non smart" Tablets for using with displays that they can recommend?

And anyone recommend any decent wireless keyboard/mice sets?

I've got to source one for the main hall this summer among a couple other rooms.
    We have some Smart branded bluetooth tablets for areas where no whiteboard was possible & they work well so I assume they are Wacom rebranded.
    We use a Gyration mouse for our hall, bluetooth up to 30m so it is usable anywhere and they don't need to place it on anything to move, though it does need a bit of practice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have, but the claims are 100% legitimate. You cannot write on an IWB, so should your PC break, you have no way of displaying anything at the front of the class. Some have/want a dry wipe board alongside so they can display static text (like lesson objective) while the IWB displays content of the lesson.
    Again I wouldn't suggest other schools and teachers are like this, but I know we are installing 6 IWBs this summer, at the request of teachers who genuinely want to use them. They are also having a smaller dry wipe board set along side it for the purpose listed above.

We always ask staff using IT to have a backup plan should something happen (power cut/laptops weren't charged/pc dies, etc) so to us its irresponsible to then not offer them a backup should their IWB stop working and they still want to display something at the front of the class to the kids

Thank Post
    My ICT teacher has a sheet of static-stick dry wipe sheets she puts over the top of her IWB the few times we've had trouble with it.

Her PC died last week (dead mobo, no display, no post, no keyboard, network but does power up), and while I find a replacement, she's been using her backup to write on the board, and uses a 23" monitor we have on the VI PC and calls the class round to look at it when needing demonstrations.

The real bugger and why it took so long; dead machine used an 80gb SATA hard drive and used half of it. I have no SATA based PC's left, so it's rebuild a whole ICT image from scratch time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This would be a non-starter here - TV Screens are just too small to work with. We have staff complaining about the 48" projected images we have in older rooms being too small. We now put in 78" IWBs. A 70" TV costs around 8500, and aren't interactive so would needed added faffery (a wireless keyboard/mouse is not ideal). Add in a sound system (we use in ceiling installs where possible, or wall mount where that isn't possible, at around 100 per install). It is just not plausible.

Don't get me wrong, I long for the day when we can stop using projectors, but it just isn't feasible now.

We're a middle school, and every single one of our lower school classrooms uses their IWB interactively. And the rate for upper school is now around 60%. So, not using IWBs wouldn't be an option either.
    Last edited by localzuk; 22nd June 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    I found this today, and thought it makes a pretty good guide to what is useable.

High Definition Television (HDTV) FAQ for the UK (Sky BBC Telewest)

Thank Post
    Hi All,

This is the setup we are using in one off our class room with the apple tv and with some tweaks of messy cables the idea was to get ipad and computer working and projecting on the screen by not having to manually switch the cables every time.
    so have a look at the drawing i have drown for or setup which works perfect.
    one point is that we cannot change the IWBs with Static TV screen in schools in my view.Fraser Spiers Blog: Apple, Ipads and effective use in education-ipad-computer-setup.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found this today, and thought it makes a pretty good guide to what is useable.

High Definition Television (HDTV) FAQ for the UK (Sky BBC Telewest)
    That is a bit misleading though as it is for TV viewing rather than presentations etc. Its a lot harder to read a stack of text off a small tv and much more difficult to demo finely detailed things like certain chunks of applications without adding in another layer of complexity with a zoom and trusting the users to actually do it. I have seen powerpoint slides with 16 bulletpoints which is simply bad layout but some do not know any better. This almost works on a large projector but would not work at all on a TV, you'd think they would edit it but good luck getting them to see the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12