+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Newly redundent technology in General; It's strange. I've just been looking at a 2.5" HD caddy and 16GB thumbdrive I brought last year and realised ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Newly redundent technology

It's strange. I've just been looking at a 2.5" HD caddy and 16GB thumbdrive I brought last year and realised that I haven't used them in months. The reason? I have Dropbox now, and all my documents goes in there or photos onto Facebook/Flickr. The strange this was I didn't even realise I was doing this (making technology redundent) and apart from leaving the USB drive in my laptop bag 'just in case' and using the caddy for laptop drive emergencies I really can't see me using them again. My email is on Exchange and almost everything I do on my desktop in the office follows me around no matter where I log on (so long as it's my laptop etc.).
    Often now I have no need to bring my laptop into the office because I have no need to transfer documents anymore. Everything is just 'there'. I have Shaun to thank for this of course, if it wasn't for him setting these things initially I'd still be losing thumb drives and going though one 2.5 drive per year (let's face it, they don't like being carried around!). The shame of it all is that I'll keep these devices now long after their usefulness has run out. Just like the clutter in your offices

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a wonderful place to be in. I rarely email documents now ... I either put it on particular platforms or share it via Dropbox or other online storage options. I get frustrated when people now email stuff around instead of using the tools provided ... online meeting space, version control systems, etc.

The only need I have of external drives is for backup or archive ... and the 50+ DVDs / CDs of backup / archives I have from over the years are slowly being moved onto external drives for putting elsewhere.

Now ... if only we could get staff in schools to do similar.

Thank Post
    Yeah, let's keep pushing the almighty "cloud".

Dropbox security fubar infuriates customers ? The Register

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Yeah, let's keep pushing the almighty "cloud".

Dropbox security fubar infuriates customers ? The Register
    Since DropBox have not signed the Safe Harbor agreement between US and EU, people are obviously not using it for any sensitive data (under DPA) so it is the commercial and downtime risk that is the problem.

That is one reason why some of the cloud services I use are backed up with SLAs and contractual penalties. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Since DropBox have not signed the Safe Harbor agreement between US and EU, people are obviously not using it for any sensitive data (under DPA) so it is the commercial and downtime risk that is the problem.

That is one reason why some of the cloud services I use are backed up with SLAs and contractual penalties. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
    One thing to note the DPA only covers data thats personal etc, corporate secrets would be fine as such.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    One thing to note the DPA only covers data thats personal etc, corporate secrets would be fine as such.
    Yep, that is why I put them separate as commercial / downtime ... but it is scary the number of teachers and techie I know who still stick stuff covered under DPA into dropbox!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread