+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jackass Star Ryan Dunn dies in car crash in General; Originally Posted by Hightower Have you seen my nose? You would probably (and wrongly) say it's that shape because I'd ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Have you seen my nose? You would probably (and wrongly) say it's that shape because I'd been fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I have seen plenty of noses which are just down to people being plain ugly...
    Oh dear...

Jackass Star Ryan Dunn dies in car crash-482.jpg

Thank Post
    And he was speeding so he was an idiot anyway regardless of Drink.
    You've never broken the speed limit?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You've never broken the speed limit?
    There is quite a difference doing 35 in a 30 zone, or doing 80 on a motorway compared to 100/110 (or whatever speed he was going at) on a road in a suburban area that was most likely no more then a 55 zone.

4. Thanks to Rawns from:

SW-ICT (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's get a couple of things straight. If someone that isn't exactly a role model pops it - then fair enough, life and death occur, people will mourn their loss, people will say they had it coming - people will be people. Everyone makes their own contributions to life and I hope this fella did something more worthwhile than the complete moronic rubbish he's famous for.
    Who'd miss Amy Winehouse? She will almost certainly pop it before long, but at least she had a talent (and probably still has underneath all that junk she's taking). At least we can say she gave something to the world.
    What can we say about this chap?
    He shoved a tonka toy in a place the sun will not shine. Oh wow, excuse me for not falling off my chair in woe.
    There will always be exceptions - some of the world's greatest talents whether its for their art forms or their minds have had their minds and/or creativity sullied or fuelled by various drugs and misdemeanours. But they still gave something back.

If it was drink related, and he was driving, then he should be seen with no more or less respect than the next guy who crashed a car and killed himself whilst under the influence. His own family won't be blaming cars, Carlsberg or the Highways Agency - they'd be blaming him for being a complete prat. So why are anyone else's opinions not as valid?

Regardless of all that, it's not a nice situation. Let's just move on and accept he was a prat in the opinion of some, he died apparently doing something stupid, poo happens.

6. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

maveriick (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Click on Settings at the top. The 3rd section down is "Latest Reputation Received" - shows Thanks or comments from Rep.
    I've seen what post it's for. Not worried about neg rep, just saying it as I see it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    I've seen what post it's for. Not worried about neg rep, just saying it as I see it.
    One of the beauties of the internet. Everyone can offer their own opinions freely. There will always be a difference of opinion and discussion of who's right or who's wrong. The main thing is that you get a chance to voice your thoughts.

9. Thanks to Rawns from:

synaesthesia (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Just for completeness, I was the one to negative rep. (I'm not one to 'hide', and perfectly happy to explain - though I think follow-on comments by other users have explained well enough - I agree with most.)

I'm appauled at some of the comments from supposed professionals on a this site (which is meant to be professional?)

I would potentially dish out more, but I don't have the time (or interest now). May issue 'thanks' this evening to those who clearly share my opinion from reading above though.
    You have summed up exactly why the reputation system on this site is beyond a joke.

Me no likey what you say = Neg rep
    Me likey what you say = Thanks

That isn't what it's for.

This thread isn't even I.T related.

11. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Netman (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not so sure - but at the same time I'm not sure I want this to descend into a different sort of argument.

Citing Wikipedia:

"Reputation is the opinion (more technically, a social evaluation) of the group of entities toward a person, a group of people, or an organization on a certain criterion. It is an important factor in many fields, such as education, business, online communities or social status."

Therefore surely reputation in the context of this or other forums should be exactly as it is - people's agreement or disagreement with an opinion. But that's another thing - opinions can't be right or wrong, they are solely the opinion of those that hold them. People can agree or disagree of course, hence the reputation side of it. Plus I believe (haven't checked!) that you can disable reputation if you wish to do so. It's hardly worth worrying about either way, I'm damned sure there's very few people here with posts in the hundreds that have no negative feedback/reputation from others.

Maybe you have a point though - I wonder if it's possible to disable reputation for certain parts of a forum? If anyone asks though, I didn't say that - ZeroHour has enough on as it is!

Actually, afterthought. Maybe we need to draw the line a little - General Chat, I'm under the impression, is for general banter, not strictly educational IT related and perhaps people should be allowed to voice their opinion without threat of reprieve? After all, MB2K01 pointed out we should be professional - but should our opinion in this part of the forum be linked to our professional opinions relating to IT?
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 21st June 2011 at 08:28 PM.

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Rawns (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    There is quite a difference doing 35 in a 30 zone, or doing 80 on a motorway compared to 100/110 (or whatever speed he was going at) on a road in a suburban area that was most likely no more then a 55 zone.
    I am sure you can use that excuse if you knocked over a child and your breaking distance wasnt what it would have been if you was doing 30. Most people speed and even they do not just go 5 miles oever the limit.

Fact is, speeding is wrong and attacking one person for doing it when you do it your self... well...

Thank Post
    Well my opinion is that your posts (and others) offended me, whether we're in the general chat, technical, or pub forum. That of course, is my opinion, that you have offended me, but if you have done so you are going to receive neg rep for it - after all, that's what the system is there for.

16. Thanks to Hightower from:

synaesthesia (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will people who get neg rep give it a rest with the complaints. The system is there, and it is used however the members of this site see fit. Disagree with a specific bit of rep? Talk to a mod or admin. Don't continually bring it up in random threads across the site - it is not going to get anywhere.

Its a bit like armchair politicking - rather than getting involved properly, you'd rather just sit and complain in a public forum when the better course of action is ignored.

People give neg rep for many reasons. I've given neg rep on many an occasion due to stupid comments, offensive comments, trolling etc... If I feel someone deserves neg rep then I'll give it to them.

On this particular topic, I'm tending to side with the 'he was shown with drinks in hand before driving, there is the potential that the car was speeding, and even if he wasn't driving, his friend was and the same set of circumstances exist - he should've known better'. The man made a living from doing stupid acts, it isn't shocking that he died doing a stupid act. Its sad for those close to him and his friend, and my condolences go to them, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over him myself.

The entire 'Jackass' type show makes me worried about society though - rewarding people for being a bunch of idiots. Is that what we really want to teach kids?

18. Thanks to localzuk from:

superfletch (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Dont get me wrong its a really shame that he died... but KIDS die due to drink drivers! :-S

If he was not drinking I would say its Horribul, no offence if anyone likes him as much at jonny...

But I dont condone with drink driving! Sorry if this makes anyone angry at me

Lew

Thank Post
    The funny thing is that someone gives you neg rep for your opinion which they say offended them, yet they abuse and offend you with the comments, you can not see who has abused you.

Example the neg rep I recieved for my initial jack ass comment

Thread: Jackass Star Ryan Dunn...
    What a dick of the thing to say, you idiot
    So I can't voice an opinion on some overated idiot who died being an idiot without getting abused in rep for voicing such an opinion, great.

Thank Post
    The funny thing is that someone gives you neg rep for your opinion which they say offended them, yet they abuse and offend you with the comments, you can not see who has abused you.

Example the neg rep I recieved for my initial jack ass comment

So I can't voice an opinion on some overated idiot who died being an idiot without getting abused in rep for voicing such an opinion, great.
    And back to Localzuk post...

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Will people who get neg rep give it a rest with the complaints. The system is there, and it is used however the members of this site see fit. Disagree with a specific bit of rep? Talk to a mod or admin. Don't continually bring it up in random threads across the site - it is not going to get anywhere.

Its a bit like armchair politicking - rather than getting involved properly, you'd rather just sit and complain in a public forum when the better course of action is ignored.
    I'm assuming that a mod/admin has a more powerful access "view" to the rep section so can see who gave it to you, and PM them a warning or request to tone it down.
    Last edited by Rawns; 22nd June 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And back to Localzuk post...

I'm assuming that a mod/admin has a more powerful access "view" to the rep section so can see who gave it to you, and PM them a warning or request to tone it down.
    Yes, precisely, they do. If the rep is abusive etc... then they will deal with it. But that doesn't mean they'll do anything simply because you disagree with the fact you got neg rep.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast