+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teaching Adult Education in General; This is probably a crazy idea but I thought I'd throw it up here for some opinions. I work as ...

Thank Post

Teaching Adult Education

This is probably a crazy idea but I thought I'd throw it up here for some opinions. I work as an ICT Technician in a Secondary/Sixth Form and at present we have very little in the way of out of school classes or adult education.

Being technically minded I was thinking it might be a good idea for the school to start offering basic IT classes to adults. Simple things like browsing the internet, how to use Word and Excel. From what I can gather there isn't much offered in the area to say the elderley and I suspect some basic IT classes might be of help.

Thing is I'm in no way a qualified tutor and no idea if I would need to be to do such a role. Any thoughts? Is it doable or a bad idea?

And of course the most important question what should I be charging for such a thing?

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    When I started at a secondary, many years ago, it was on condition I did one class a week. I had already been asked a few years before to run some non-IT courses for the LA Adult Ed. who sent me on a City & Guilds Adult Ed. course.

The LA sorted out the advertising, charges etc. and I was paid the going rate for teaching Adult Ed. both before working in the school and at the school.

Thank Post
    I've done this a few times for various schools - the first time I did it once a week on the promise of £20 an hour, I got diddly squat but carried on anyway until the course finished, as I felt harsh cancelling when they were all doing so well. Then ran Cisco IT essentials (school paid for me to go on an instructor course), this was offered to public (£195?) and 6th form for free. About 50 6th formers turned up on the first day, only one finished the course!

At another school I was trying to make a good impression so ran a basic course for free for a couple of hours on a Friday evening, I regretted it the moment I started, and even more so when the 12 became 4 the next week...

Unless you're getting paid well, don't bother...

Thank Post
    People do not have an incentive to finish or continue unless they either pay up front, no refund, or they get some meaningful certificate at the end.

The other reason adult education candidates are unreliable is childcare.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a no go then, shame

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
    Sounds like a no go then, shame
    I wouldn't give up that easily.

How about a series of one or two day courses?

Thank Post
    My biggest worry is the qualification side. I'm only qualified on the IT tech side of things, no teaching experience whatsoever beyond the odd training session I've given at school to a group of teachers (which gave me the idea). Will I just be able to kick off these sessions without having to go and do an immediate qualification like City and Guilds?

Back when I was at college I think the Word type stuff was called CLAIT.

Thank Post
    CLAIT was what I taught. EDCL is more popular these days.

I would definitely advise you to take a trainers course yourself before running any courses.

Thank Post
    I taught IT courses for several years as part of the Adult Education service, in fact, at one point I was teaching 4 nights a week and Saturdays as well. It was well paid at the time and the take-up was good. The main reason I gave up was the fact that it was becoming drowned in paperwork (and I wanted my time back). I never had any training, just wrote the course and delivered it in my own style. I did take up a C&G course later on but few of the tutors had any formal teaching or training qualifications. Don't give up on it before you've started but try and co-ordinate it through the local Adult Ed as they will do the promotion and publicity for you as well as handling the fees and bookings.

Thank Post
    A PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) course would be enough to get you started. Usually run in the evenings at your loacal Adult Education Centre and also usually subsidised.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDarkstar View Post
    A PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) course would be enough to get you started. Usually run in the evenings at your loacal Adult Education Centre and also usually subsidised.
    Mine was fully funded as I was going to do evening classes for them and employed by them (The LA).

Thank Post
    I taught adult ed in many places when I started out as a technician. It was a relatively easy way to top up a meager salary. When I started out no-one was that bothered about having a teaching qualification at all so I started out just teaching CLAIT, IBT2 etc without any training. I did go on to do a teaching course eventually but I'm not sure it gave me much other than ticking a box.

The PTLLS sounds like an excellent place to start nowadays.

Personally I would say go for it - I had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the courses I taught plus it gives you another string to your bow.

Thank Post
    I will certainly have a look into the PTLLS course

Thank Post
    Be aware you'll be confronted with the sight of a tattooed, shaven-headed brickie who looks like he could wrestle a jcb into submission almost in tears at the prospect of having to learn to use a computer.

I kid you not, some of them are more sensitive than Y7 on their first day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Be aware you'll be confronted with the sight of a tattooed, shaven-headed brickie who looks like he could wrestle a jcb into submission almost in tears at the prospect of having to learn to use a computer.

I kid you not, some of them are more sensitive than Y7 on their first day.
    I had 4 male friends come along together, I had to separate them. The serious learners from the "sit there chatting and sometimes turn the PCs on, drag me off to the pub after" groups. After leaving the school I got a knock on the door, months later. One of my students "My computer is broke". That was over 10 years ago. I still fix their computers, design their websites...... and occasionally go down the pub.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast