+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you? in General; I'm having ongoing issues with my home broadband (from TalkTalk). Before I ring them up (again) and end up talking ...
    Thank Post

Question Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you?

I'm having ongoing issues with my home broadband (from TalkTalk). Before I ring them up (again) and end up talking to a script monkey (again), possibly ending up with a chargeable home visit, I'll ask here first to check all's well our end

This is the current setup - this has been rock solid stable for 3 weeks at 2Mb (which is fine as it's what I was told to expect - before that we had a flaky 512k which suddenly went to a stable 2Mb after a "fault" (read: upgrade that they forgot to tell us about)) until Saturday when the DSL started dropping out sporadically, and now it won't connect at all. Odd thing is that if you make a call on the landline, it does connect, and work for a few minutes, which is maddening if you're ringing their helpdesk as it's, well, working at the time.

Couple of things to note:

The old router (access point) is there because a couple of our computermabobs won't support WPA2 and the TalkTalk router won't support anything else - it's on a different channel and ssid and the wireless bits are working fine.

I've plugged a filter straight in the test socket as the numpty who lived in the house before (partner's ex) had wired an extension into the back of the faceplate, which obviously needs filtering.

Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you?-home-phone-setup.jpg

Long story short - their end or mine?
    Last edited by BatchFile; 20th June 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Too many filters - why are you filtering the telephone side of the filter again - where your caller id is you dont need any filters after that for example.

3. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

BatchFile (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    I read somewhere that as the filters work on impedence you need one on everything - even an extension... is that not the case?

Thank Post
    It looks like you've may have too many filters on there. You have two filters inline to your sky box. I think I'm right in thinking that you only need one filter for each mains extension which would make the ones after the splitters redundant. I think you only need 2 filters one on the front of the faceplate to the sky box and one on the rear to the rest of the phone sockets in the house.

6. Thanks to cromertech from:

Thank Post
    Yes you filter the signal from the main box once - eg you need two splitters

Thank Post
    make sure your telephone point for you sky box is at the end of the line. You will get bad interface otherwise.

Thank Post
    by the looks of that you need 1 splitter in the main socket. Adsl plugs into its sockets and everything else plugs into the other side (a filtered faceplate may help that way if the old junk is wired direct into the socket you can krone it into the back of the faceplate )

Thank Post
    As everyone else has said, you don't need all those filters. If the phone (on the master socket) comes out and goes into extensions prefiltered, you don't need to filter it on the extensions as well, however, all those filters won't effect your Broadband as you're ADSL is into the master socket filter anyway.

The best thing to do to ensure it's not you is (as I think you've already muted at doing but...) to remove all your extensions and telephony equipment so that you're left with just your master socket. As you have a test socket behind, plug a filter into this and then plug in your ADSL router directly to it. Just the router on it's own and nothing else into the router (not that taking a LAN feed actually would compromise it, but back to basics here). Then, using one of the machines that will connect using WPA2, connect up and see what your modem is doing ..

If it doesn't connect up this way, then basically the fault can't be at your end unless it's TalkTalk's router that's not working, in which case the charge would be down to them anyway.

11. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    Ok, so possibly too many filters... that may explain the slightly wooly sound on the handset (so might the fact that my partner's daughter once dropped it in the loo - don't ask!), but could that cause the DSL problem? surely too many filters are better than too few - and it's worked fine from the Wednesday in half term till yesterdayish?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    As everyone else has said, you don't need all those filters. If the phone (on the master socket) comes out and goes into extensions prefiltered, you don't need to filter it on the extensions as well, however, all those filters won't effect your Broadband as you're ADSL is into the master socket filter anyway.

The best thing to do to ensure it's not you is (as I think you've already muted at doing but...) to remove all your extensions and telephony equipment so that you're left with just your master socket. As you have a test socket behind, plug a filter into this and then plug in your ADSL router directly to it. Just the router on it's own and nothing else into the router (not that taking a LAN feed actually would compromise it, but back to basics here). Then, using one of the machines that will connect using WPA2, connect up and see what your modem is doing ..

If it doesn't connect up this way, then basically the fault can't be at your end unless it's TalkTalk's router that's not working, in which case the charge would be down to them anyway.
    This is sound advice.

Start with only the router and a filter in the master socket. No phones. For at least 24 hours. Monitor your speed and if possible, check the sync and noise/atten on the router page making a note of these.

It is also worth noting that as your connection has been intermittent it will not be stable or at it's maximum speed for 5-10 days as the exchange sorts it's self out.

Also worth trying both a couple of new filters and a new/different router.

14. Thanks to SmellyLlama from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post

Yeah, the first filter is in the test socket anyway and i've tried disconnecting each of the branches in turn - I'll give it one more go tonight with everything out but the router then demand a visit - thanks all for helping me get my thoughts straight!

16. Thanks to BatchFile from:

soveryapt (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BatchFile View Post
    Ok, so possibly too many filters... that may explain the slightly wooly sound on the handset (so might the fact that my partner's daughter once dropped it in the loo - don't ask!), but could that cause the DSL problem? surely too many filters are better than too few - and it's worked fine from the Wednesday in half term till yesterdayish?
    No, defiantly too many filters
    Plugging a microfilter into a microfilter doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Everything is being filtered at the main socket so why have more filters down the line?
    It will probably effect your phone line quality but there could be an effect on your ADSL, not sure on that one. As suggested above, strip it back to just your ADSL device and see if that works ok, then build up a device at a time.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 20th June 2011 at 10:45 AM.

18. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BatchFile View Post
    Problem is you end up double filtering and getting very little broadband signal to the router. I had an engineer out and he found a 5 year old RF filter on my line hidden in a door frame. Removing this made my broadband go from 3mb to 9mb and now I sync at 14mb.

Broadband is both funny and sensitive to all sorts of things. With these intermittent problems its just a game of elimination until you work out where the problem is.

Add the router to the test socket and bake for 24-48 hours and then add a phone into the mix, so on and so forth!

20. Thanks to SmellyLlama from:

Thank Post
    If your broadband works fine when you're on the phone, perhaps the initial filter is on the blink. Swap it with one of the others.

22. Thanks to fafster from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    If your broadband works fine when you're on the phone, perhaps the initial filter is on the blink. Swap it with one of the others.
    This, I must admit, is the part of this that's REALLY got me baffled - more interference from more traffic = connection possible - eh?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast