+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you? in General; Originally Posted by Cools if you run any ext about the house use shilded cat5e, BT use shilded cat 6 ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    if you run any ext about the house use shilded cat5e, BT use shilded cat 6 when adding our 8 new DSL lines for our 20mb connection
    for home thay are now using shilded cat5e for any extention over 3m.. (info from openPlonkers)
    I didn't run it - it's ye olde standard telephone cable - behind the tiles in the kitchen....

Thank Post
    Get an 'iplate' - for about a fiver it doubled my speed.
    At one point, I had a very ropey connection, but whenever the phone was in use, seemed OK.
    Turned out to be poor cable from the pole to my house, old & cracked, particularly bad in wind +/- rain -
    phone use, applying a voltage, would help DSL to get through - quite common according to the engineer.

3. Thanks to tumbleweed from:

BatchFile (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Well, took them 3 months to get me working in the first place and now suddenly, the line that has supported 2mb since October has dropped to 0.2mb instead .. and apparently that's all the line is capable of because of my distance from the exchange .. hmmm .. yeah .. I went all super-geek on them and revealed my identity as a network technician and so understanding the basic principles behind line lengths and stuff and also pointed out that unless they lift the 1mb cap on the line card at the exchange that BT told me was in place by the supplier (ie Sky) I was never going to get anything above 0.5mb, but more likely a 0.3mb connection based on the line length .. of course, they deny that there is an issue and there is no cap in place etc etc .. so we'll see what tomorrow brings .. whoop .. lol ..
    I have had exactly the same, was with tiscali for about 4-5 years at 2mb no problems, then it changed to talk talk and was alright for a few months and has now dropped down to 0.2 mb like yours has. Phoned support and they said i would have to try one of there routers as the line was fine. Got one of there routers and i still have the same speed issue so am going to ring again tonight and see what they say.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poults View Post
    I have had exactly the same, was with tiscali for about 4-5 years at 2mb no problems, then it changed to talk talk and was alright for a few months and has now dropped down to 0.2 mb like yours has. Phoned support and they said i would have to try one of there routers as the line was fine. Got one of there routers and i still have the same speed issue so am going to ring again tonight and see what they say.
    Aye .. I was on the phone to Sky again yesterday after the issue had been resolved .. we now have a perfectly stable ADSL connection (it was flitting between 0.2 and 0.4 when the router was rebooted) but it's sat at 0.4 .. 0.4 each and every time .. upstream 0.7 (which is good given the distance from the exchange) .. but still not the 2mb I was getting.

So, they said they'd book another engineer out for me and give me a call back .. did I get a call back? Nope .. Do I think they have booked the Engineer? Nope .. so I'll be phoning again this evening to see where they are actually up to with it all and why I didn't have the phone call back to confirm the booking and sort the other bits out that I needed to .. meh .. so much fun ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123