+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you? in General; It could be that the excess filters are dropping the signal strength too much and the call produces a signal ...
    Thank Post
    It could be that the excess filters are dropping the signal strength too much and the call produces a signal change that makes it work.

2. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

BatchFile (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you?-47009.jpg

It's playing tricks on you.

4. Thanks to fafster from:

BatchFile (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    You need to concentrate on getting the broadband stable without worrying aobut the phone. Add the phone into the loop later. You won't have gotten a proper connection yet if it's always going on and off as the exchange won't have sync'd you properly.

Do you have any of the details from the router when it's plugged into the master socket. The noise up/down, attenuation up/down and then the reported sync speed from the router and an actual bb speed from speedtest.net or something similar?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BatchFile View Post
    Yeah, the first filter is in the test socket anyway and i've tried disconnecting each of the branches in turn - I'll give it one more go tonight with everything out but the router then demand a visit - thanks all for helping me get my thoughts straight!
    No worries, I'm just very conversant on the whole subject at the moment as I'm having my 5th I think (counts up, 1 engineer, ha ha, 2 engineers, ha ha, 3 engineers, ha ha, 4 engineers ,, ha ha .. 5 engineers .. yes 5 engineers) since reporting an issue on 23rd May with Sky .. so I've been through the whole thing of unplug everything .. it's got to the stage now where I get put straight through to the higher "technical support" (I'll explain the quotes in a mo) to deal with it and skip all of the script monkeys in 1st Line ..

Quotes: t'other day I was on the phone to one of the higher technical team .. "Just to double check and make sure my line tests report the most factual results, could you plug your router directly into your test socket. Take your time, there's no rush" so I went through and removed the faceplate, put a filter in (so I could plug the router into the test socket) and went back and reported back. Now, the guy was like "ok, so before I run the test, just to confirm, the router is plugged directly into the test socket with no other devices or filters" so I said "well there is a filter plugged in so I can plug the router in" to which I got the response "No, I said nothing else, the router needs to be direct into the test socket with nothing else there" so I pointed out "that's not possible as the RJ11 won't fit into the BT socket so I need to have the filter there" "no sir, it needs to be dir... oh right yeah, sorry, my bad" MEH! I should of known then the guy was going to mess up with the engineer booking .. anywho .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    No worries, I'm just very conversant on the whole subject at the moment as I'm having my 5th I think (counts up, 1 engineer, ha ha, 2 engineers, ha ha, 3 engineers, ha ha, 4 engineers ,, ha ha .. 5 engineers .. yes 5 engineers) since reporting an issue on 23rd May with Sky .. so I've been through the whole thing of unplug everything .. it's got to the stage now where I get put straight through to the higher "technical support" (I'll explain the quotes in a mo) to deal with it and skip all of the script monkeys in 1st Line ..

Quotes: t'other day I was on the phone to one of the higher technical team .. "Just to double check and make sure my line tests report the most factual results, could you plug your router directly into your test socket. Take your time, there's no rush" so I went through and removed the faceplate, put a filter in (so I could plug the router into the test socket) and went back and reported back. Now, the guy was like "ok, so before I run the test, just to confirm, the router is plugged directly into the test socket with no other devices or filters" so I said "well there is a filter plugged in so I can plug the router in" to which I got the response "No, I said nothing else, the router needs to be direct into the test socket with nothing else there" so I pointed out "that's not possible as the RJ11 won't fit into the BT socket so I need to have the filter there" "no sir, it needs to be dir... oh right yeah, sorry, my bad" MEH! I should of known then the guy was going to mess up with the engineer booking .. anywho .. lol ..
    /facepalm

It's any wonder they get anyone's broadband working!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyLlama View Post
    /facepalm

It's any wonder they get anyone's broadband working!!
    Well, took them 3 months to get me working in the first place and now suddenly, the line that has supported 2mb since October has dropped to 0.2mb instead .. and apparently that's all the line is capable of because of my distance from the exchange .. hmmm .. yeah .. I went all super-geek on them and revealed my identity as a network technician and so understanding the basic principles behind line lengths and stuff and also pointed out that unless they lift the 1mb cap on the line card at the exchange that BT told me was in place by the supplier (ie Sky) I was never going to get anything above 0.5mb, but more likely a 0.3mb connection based on the line length .. of course, they deny that there is an issue and there is no cap in place etc etc .. so we'll see what tomorrow brings .. whoop .. lol ..

Thank Post
    this is what you want..

Home Broadband problems - does this look ok to you?-home-phone-setup2.jpg

OR
    Get this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=9881
    replace Faceplate of master socket and KROHN you extenuation in on the back it will filter the main socket where the ADSL connects to,
    then EXT 1 will not need filtering and you can daisy-chin your extensions off of it.
    Last edited by Cools; 20th June 2011 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm having ongoing issues with my home broadband (from TalkTalk).

<snip>

Long story short - their end or mine?
    Presumably, you're in a non-Virginmedia cabled are? If you are in a cabled are.....change......end of story.

I've had both, Virgin (when it was NTL) and ADSL supplied by BT, approx 650-750 metres from the exchange. I changed from NTL to BT, cos NTL p****d me off over something. Once the BT signal started dropping out, I was changing micro-filters almost like changing socks, after two years of fiddling about with BT engineers, test-sockets, microfilters, my internal wiring and their external wiring, I went gratefully back to Virginmedia.

Plug, play, sorted.

Thank Post
    First thing I did when we moved into this house was look at the incoming line...2 sockets on the wall, 1 a mess, one pristine.

Opened up the pristine one to find it contained screws, an earth wire, some rawplugs..and nothing else.

Bashed up socket was ancient and just hanging in there. This led back to an old "block" style internal/external breakout box. Wires in that were corroding, dull and manky.

Rubber gloves on, wire cutters out. 20 minutes later, the shiny new socket is solo, incoming line to breakout box is remade and shiny, outgoing wiring to shiny new socket.

Phone line 100% better, Broadband sat at a solid 7mb. BT/Plus reckoned 4-5.

Still want to get a new style NTE5 with test socket. Next month maybe.

And I know I shouldn't touch the BT incoming wiring, but frankly they won't know..it was a mess, it needed doing. Heh.

Thank Post
    You have way to many filters there. Plug in 1 filter to your main socket, pop 1 telephone and your router into that filter. if all this works fine then there is no problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    this is what you want..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home phone setup2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	10459
    The distance between the main socket - this is the test socket remember (no faceplate) - and your EXT1 socket is approx 10m - wouldn't that just act as an aerial and pick up all sorts of interference and really screw things up?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Presumably, you're in a non-Virginmedia cabled are? If you are in a cabled are.....change......end of story.

I've had both, Virgin (when it was NTL) and ADSL supplied by BT, approx 650-750 metres from the exchange. I changed from NTL to BT, cos NTL p****d me off over something. Once the BT signal started dropping out, I was changing micro-filters almost like changing socks, after two years of fiddling about with BT engineers, test-sockets, microfilters, my internal wiring and their external wiring, I went gratefully back to Virginmedia.

Plug, play, sorted.
    Cable, CABLE! you must be joking - we had to wait till digital switchover last year (iirc) to get freeview (and not all of that - 8 channels woo!)

Thank Post
    Cable, CABLE! you must be joking - we had to wait till digital switchover last year (iirc) to get freeview (and not all of that - 8 channels woo!)
    That's a drag.

Like I say, my experience (and I gave it two years) with ADSL was fine if you live within a klick or two of the exchange, and if your internal wiring's immaculate. But once it started dropping, it was obviously a poor second to cable. I changed all my internal extensions, all my microfilters, bought a new phone and bought my own wireless router (linksys WAG54G), to replace the kak one that BT sent me. BT sent a horde of engineers out, couldn't fix it, kept promising me they would and in the meantime, sorry, no, I couldn't be given a discount as they couldn't ascertain the cause of the drops etc so in the end.......the rest is history.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're not in the Smallworld Cable network either then? Shame, I used to be with them when they were WightCable North and they were very good.

Thank Post
    The distance between the main socket - this is the test socket remember (no faceplate) - and your EXT1 socket is approx 10m - wouldn't that just act as an aerial and pick up all sorts of interference and really screw things up?
    if you run any ext about the house use shilded cat5e, BT use shilded cat 6 when adding our 8 new DSL lines for our 20mb connection
    for home thay are now using shilded cat5e for any extention over 3m.. (info from openPlonkers)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast