+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The new iPad advert......seriously?! in General; Where's Harry Hill when you need him? FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!...
    Thank Post
    Where's Harry Hill when you need him?

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    On the scale where they're available for health services, I'd fully expect them to be sold as part of a larger solution by a systems integrator/solutions provider, rather than an NHS Trust buying them and then shoehorning them into a job.

So, I'd expect a company that provides a records system for a trust would develop a secure application for the iPad etc... So, they'd develop it in such a way that it did provide the security needed, rather than trying to make use of whatever primitive admin tools exist from Apple. Just like most of our software packages in schools have their own security mechanisms built in, rather than leveraging whatever Windows has on offer.
    but can you dosent the appl;e decelopers kit say something allong the lines of you wont fiddle with the interface etc so lockdown software may be impossible without breaking the ios licence

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but can you dosent the appl;e decelopers kit say something allong the lines of you wont fiddle with the interface etc so lockdown software may be impossible without breaking the ios licence
    I don't see how. You can do it via HTML app type stuff, so its nothing to do with the iPad's software specifically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    At least i think that's what you meant LOL!!!
    I rank Edugeek in amongst/as part of Google for this particular reason - every search we try in school finds Edugeek on the first page! Even this morning I mentioned to my NM that my left eye is twitching like mad for no good reason. Lo and behold, edugeek holds a (recent!) thread on such a phenomenon!

Thank Post
    I don't see how. You can do it via HTML app type stuff, so its nothing to do with the iPad's software specifically.
    but if it bolts on top then surely you just need to force close the app? rather than an integrated solution that blocks any access without a password/pin

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    but if it bolts on top then surely you just need to force close the app? rather than an integrated solution that blocks any access without a password/pin
    My point is not about design specifics here, the device can be and is used securely in the medical field. How they do this is irrelevant - it is the first platform designed for this sort of thing, and has gained a good market share by being good at what it does.

Why are people being so pedantic over details?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    excuse me, can i have my can of worms back please, I need them unopened preferably

Thank Post
    My point is not about design specifics here, the device can be and is used securely in the medical field. How they do this is irrelevant - it is the first platform designed for this sort of thing, and has gained a good market share by being good at what it does.

Why are people being so pedantic over details?
    because when you get down to it 1 detail can be all it takes to turn a device from great to useless heap of junk. The marketing for apple stuff is such that people want them for no quantifiable reason with no though as to whether it can be used in a given environment. Its like saying you need a 200mph veyron to go to tesco (other fast cars/supermaekets are avaliable) and when you do get it you realise a fiesta was a better bet as it has a boot so you spend more money fixing a problem that wouldnt of existed with a bit of thought/research just to get something thats being forced down your throat with blanket advertising

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    because when you get down to it 1 detail can be all it takes to turn a device from great to useless heap of junk. The marketing for apple stuff is such that people want them for no quantifiable reason with no though as to whether it can be used in a given environment. Its like saying you need a 200mph veyron to go to tesco (other fast cars/supermaekets are avaliable) and when you do get it you realise a fiesta was a better bet as it has a boot so you spend more money fixing a problem that wouldnt of existed with a bit of thought/research just to get something thats being forced down your throat with blanket advertising
    The problem I see here though is the details that are being brought up are irrelevant. The iPad is a platform that is hugely flexible. It was the first useable tablet of that form factor and functionality, and it works well for many tasks.

What I'm seeing here is people perceiving issues where there aren't any - due to them not thinking outside the normal lines. Suggestions of using a laptop, or issues with losing it are irrelevant! Security is something that obviously would have to be designed into any solution using iPads but to say that they are no use because of built in security controls not being ideal is not relevant either.

Windows 98 had many security issues, yet it was used in lots of secure environments - cash machines used it for example! Just because 'out of the box' it isn't perfect, doesn't mean post-purchase work can't get it to do what you want.

Thank Post
    " I understand that Lynx is not the answer to getting all sad, lonely nerds laid! " Quoted from Grumbledook..... ARGHHHHHH NOOOOOO! What will the nerds do now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seacider View Post
    " I understand that Lynx is not the answer to getting all sad, lonely nerds laid! " Quoted from Grumbledook..... ARGHHHHHH NOOOOOO! What will the nerds do now!
    Ummmm...try to flog off their stocks?

See my earlier advert!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seacider View Post
    have you seen the recent Old Spice advert?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    have you seen the recent Old Spice advert?
    I'm on a horse.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *recent* Old Spice ad? Not noticed that - I didn't even know they were still going! Is Brut still around?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    *recent* Old Spice ad? Not noticed that - I didn't even know they were still going! Is Brut still around?
    "Ladies, look at me, now look at your man, now look back to me"

It's a classic!

Almost made me go out and buy some......Would've too, if I didn't have 34 boxes of Lynx to get through.......LOL!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast