+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The new iPad advert......seriously?! in General; Originally Posted by Tony_Mc the beauty of the product is that is cheap.... when a knock off is bought from ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    the beauty of the product is that is cheap....
    when a knock off is bought from China, otherwise it'll (literally) cost you a kidney!

2. Thanks to Hightower from:

nephilim (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did I not see an app that would allow teachers to do sims.net based functions on iphone and ipad?

I am sure I saw this somewhere...

I have an ipad which I use mainly at home for doing simple things like ordering take away and doing the shopping on Ocado - I plug it into the Zeppelin when i want to play music and when my niece comes around she plays on it (her dad has one too so she probably knows more about it than I do) - When I get away for a weekend, I take it over a laptop as it is smaller and lighter than a laptop and for what I need it for when I am away (checking weather and tides, I kite surf) it is easier to use and a better sized display than my phone.

My girlfriend is a teacher and she is excited about using ipads or other tablets in her classroom in conjunction with her interactive whiteboard.

the beauty of the product is that is cheap, it makes people excited enough to produce thousands of apps (90% are useless) but out of them come some great features that work.

Yeah I hate the advertisement, it is patronising and aimed as Americans mainly - thickos with no thoughts of their own (neg rep that please)
    what does any tablet add to an interactive whiteboard? surely the idea of the tablet is that its interactive and touchscreen. by adding that to a smartboard you then pass all control on to the smartboard and it just becomes a display drone.
    plus unless smart or promethean have software that works on ios/android/blackberry/whatever then again all you are doing is showing content or running an app.

dont get me wrong, i've got an eeepad transformer and that has replaced my home laptop and ill use that at home all the time. but apple hating aside i could not see a viable and legitimate use in our school for any of these tablets other than as playthings.
    if it cannot run IWB software, then the £450 may as well be spent on a PC which can.

4. 2 Thanks to MK-2:

Gibbo (20th June 2011), Hightower (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2;692864
    <snip>

[B
    And if you asked us, we’d say it’s just getting started[/B].....we'll have the ipad 7 out by Xmas
    Probably the most salient comment on this thread, and not a pint of Carlsberg (other lagers are available) in sight.

iPad last year.....iPad2 this year, iPad3 already scheduled for next year.....

I see no point in spending someone's hard-earned tax money on an executive toy that's going to be superceded by a new model inside 12 months. Used to be it was graphics cards that were obsolete as soon as you took them out of the box.

6. Thanks to Earthling from:

aerospacemango (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    I've got 36 Ipads 1's in the school now, with 2-4 Ipad 2's to come at some point soon, and already the talk is to buy 15-20 Ipad 2's when the 3 comes out.
    At some point I'll write up something about my experiences with them, management, Apps, etc, but there's a lot to say, and I want to give it justice. I'm certainly not an Apple lover, I'm closer to hating them mostly because of their corporate strategies, but I acknowledge they make some good stuff that if they come down off the pedestal they put themselves on, I would be quite happy with.

I heard the Apple advert but didn't watch it (was doing housework at the time), but my opinion of most adverts or places that sell technology is that half are targeting the sheep-like people who buy the latest fad, and the other half are just selling blankly.

I mean you just have to go to some tech sales sites and try a comparison between items from different companies (EG, try doing a compare against Samsung/Sony/LG TV's). They each use different standards and list different specs to eachother, so you CANNOT compare them.

One will tell you the maximum Contrast ratio as 3 billion trillion to 1, the other will list standard contrast which is what you want to compare, and the other will tell you the refresh rate instead and list N/A against contrast ratio.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    what does any tablet add to an interactive whiteboard? surely the idea of the tablet is that its interactive and touchscreen. by adding that to a smartboard you then pass all control on to the smartboard and it just becomes a display drone.
    plus unless smart or promethean have software that works on ios/android/blackberry/whatever then again all you are doing is showing content or running an app.

dont get me wrong, i've got an eeepad transformer and that has replaced my home laptop and ill use that at home all the time. but apple hating aside i could not see a viable and legitimate use in our school for any of these tablets other than as playthings.
    if it cannot run IWB software, then the £450 may as well be spent on a PC which can.
    Anything that engages a child just that little bit more than normal is a good thing as at the end of the day, as a teacher, having a classes attention is the path to them learning.

I saw a study about 5 years ago that heavily indicated (possibly proven now?) that IWBs in primary schools increased the overall grade of a class by a half of a grade... I will try and look it up...

edit - Using Interactive Whiteboards to Improve Achievement | doug woods

study has proven grades can increase by up to 16% when using engaging technology...

To me that is the point of these "toys"

With students requiring so much stimulation these days to match what is needed for their attention spans, surely anything that can get closer to gaining their attention for long periods of time should be treated with respect!

9. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

SimpleSi (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anything that engages a child just that little bit more than normal is a good thing as at the end of the day, as a teacher, having a classes attention is the path to them learning.

I saw a study about 5 years ago that heavily indicated (possibly proven now?) that IWBs in primary schools increased the overall grade of a class by a half of a grade... I will try and look it up...

study has proven grades can increase by up to 16% when using engaging technology...

With students requiring so much stimulation these days to match what is needed for their attention spans, surely anything that can get closer to gaining their attention for long periods of time should be treated with respect!
    without going too far off the topic, the point then becomes integration and cost.
    if a school has a windows network with smartboard whiteboards and a few other subjet specific titles in use, how do these integrate into the lessons? if a teacher books out a laptop trolley, chances are it will be going on the internet to research, or use office to type something up. if you are just replacing a laptop with a tablet, you arent really stimulating them, just replacing the hardware they use, and if said school already has say 60 laptops, do you then buy 60 tablets too?

also regardless of the tablet, it will need something else to integrate and be managed seamlessly. if it requires new server hardware or software, that has to be offset against the "gain" it might give. schools probably wouldn't be too happy having budgets slashed in departments just to pay for server software x and y amount of tablets unless a clear plan is in place.

just lastly, IWBs are a separate thing, they did provide a certain stimulus in that it made watching the teacher fun, it made them able to do things, to include kids in the lessons etc. a tablet in a lesson wont really include them or bring the lesson to life any more than a laptop would
    Last edited by MK-2; 20th June 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post

The thing is it isn't the technology which is might cause an increase in grades, it's what you do with it. In your example the fact that an IWB can raise grades, doesn't prove that it was an IWB or the fact a lesson was more interesting because it was made more interesting. An IWB is not going to raise grades if it is only ever used to project on...and far too many staff ask for a projector and IWB when all they need is a projector. A good teacher can see the possibilities technology creates.

So these expensive "toys" can be justified if they raise teaching standards and childrens learning experience, but it is still down to good teaching to achieve this, not the device itself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    The thing is it isn't the technology which is might cause an increase in grades, it's what you do with it. In your example the fact that an IWB can raise grades, doesn't prove that it was an IWB or the fact a lesson was more interesting because it was made more interesting. An IWB is not going to raise grades if it is only ever used to project on...and far too many staff ask for a projector and IWB when all they need is a projector. A good teacher can see the possibilities technology creates.

So these expensive "toys" can be justified if they raise teaching standards and childrens learning experience, but it is still down to good teaching to achieve this, not the device itself.
    Obviously.

The fact remains that people are finding use in them, you are not but you also haven't bought any and have taken exception to the advert showing them as usefull in a class enviroment.

If your head teacher came to you and said buy 100 ipads for all teachers, I am sure you would talk him or her down as it wouldn't work on your network or in your enviroment.

we have people here saying they can work and other saying it isn't worth it.

I would say the advert (remember, it is a way selling products) is accurate - you CAN use it

the real question is...

is it worth it?

13. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

mac_shinobi (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    This post reminds me of other things that you see on telly advert wise just like the windows 7 adverts

"Windows 7 was my idea" ..... etc, like seriously ??

Some how I very much doubt it.

Either way I quite like the ipad 2's, maybe not as far as intergrating them etc but for personal use would be great

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post

i actually find im using it less ow the novelty facor has worn off. Having a touchscreen is nice but sometimes its just a case of why im beginning to think i should of saved the cash and bought a netbook. I find some aspects of it limiting and the latest 3.1 update seemed to seriousl reduce battery life in standby and it dosent like reconnecting to wireless after sleeping for a while

Im not sure i can see many educational uses for it and a singles user os does kind of limit your options

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i actually find im using it less ow the novelty facor has worn off. Having a touchscreen is nice but sometimes its just a case of why im beginning to think i should of saved the cash and bought a netbook. I find some aspects of it limiting and the latest 3.1 update seemed to seriousl reduce battery life in standby and it dosent like reconnecting to wireless after sleeping for a while

Im not sure i can see many educational uses for it and a singles user os does kind of limit your options
    see for me the added keyboard means i dont tire of touchscreen as i use touchscreen as the mouse and type on the normal keyboard, so it keeps it fresh for me. i can imagine just using a touchscreen all day every day would tire though

Thank Post
    Obviously.

The fact remains that people are finding use in them, you are not but you also haven't bought any and have taken exception to the advert showing them as usefull in a class enviroment.

If your head teacher came to you and said buy 100 ipads for all teachers, I am sure you would talk him or her down as it wouldn't work on your network or in your enviroment.

we have people here saying they can work and other saying it isn't worth it.

I would say the advert (remember, it is a way selling products) is accurate - you CAN use it

the real question is...

is it worth it?
    Erm...No I haven't bought any, and I haven't taken exception to the advert showing them usefull in a class environment...I have taken exception to Apple's adverts telling me if I dont have an their products them I'm dont have their products. An advert to me is something to advertise how good a product is and why I should part with my money to have one. In my opinion their adverts don't do that...and no they are not the only ones.

And please dont judge me and my skills in my job by assuming I would talk down to people when they may present me with something I may or may not agree on. Like most people, I assess what is required, how much money we have and what is easiet to intergrate into what we already have. I dont make decisions on whether I like the adverts of companies.

I think you could have made your point about the real question being "is it worth it" without making the assumption about how I would handle new technologies suggested by others. The point being is that the advert does nothing to answer the question of "is it is worth it?".

Edit: By the way, I do own an iPod Touch, so I have experience in the uses it provides me, it still doens't mean I like their adverts and thats my personal opinion. But their adverts have nothing to do with influencing my choice in products professionaly.
    Last edited by penfold; 20th June 2011 at 03:32 PM.

18. Thanks to penfold from:

aerospacemango (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    This post reminds me of other things that you see on telly advert wise just like the windows 7 adverts

"Windows 7 was my idea" ..... <snip>
    I've always thought it should be 'I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my fault.

20. 2 Thanks to Earthling:

pr1vate_piles (21st June 2011), tech_guy (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Erm...No I haven't bought any, and I haven't taken exception to the advert showing them usefull in a class environment...I have taken exception to Apple's adverts telling me if I dont have an their products them I'm dont have their products. An advert to me is something to advertise how good a product is and why I should part with my money to have one. In my opinion their adverts don't do that...and no they are not the only ones.

And please dont judge me and my skills in my job by assuming I would talk down to people when they may present me with something I may or may not agree on. Like most people, I assess what is required, how much money we have and what is easiet to intergrate into what we already have. I dont make decisions on whether I like the adverts of companies.

I think you could have made your point about the real question being "is it worth it" without making the assumption about how I would handle new technologies suggested by others. The point being is that the advert does nothing to answer the question of "is it is worth it?".

Edit: By the way, I do own an iPod Touch, so I have experience in the uses it provides me, it still doens't mean I like their adverts and thats my personal opinion. But their adverts have nothing to do with influencing my choice in products professionaly.
    There was no offence meant by my post, I obviously didn't put enough thought into the wording of it.

In my last role as NM in a school, I would have talked the head down in such a thought (buying ipads for teachers) unless there was a supportable function within the school. I think some establishments would find them usefull and other wouldn't.

personally the only adverts that really grinds my gears are the gocompare.com

I generally don't get wound up enough to post online, something I don't care about and will never use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I generally don't get wound up enough to post online, something I don't care about and will never use.
    it didnt wind me up, i just felt the need to poke a little fun at. this actually came from my wife seeing the advert last night, and despite never using one, just said (as they got to the some parents would say" part) "some parents would say thats bloody expensive!"

so fear not, i'll neg rep my wife when i get home

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast