Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, The new iPad advert......seriously?! in General; Originally Posted by penfold Yeah, the apple adverts wind me up a little bit too.....If you dont have an iPhone, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Yeah, the apple adverts wind me up a little bit too.....If you dont have an iPhone, well you dont have an iPone. Really? That because I dont want one. I dont like the adverts which are basically saying it's flashy
    FLASHy? No, that's not something an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch will be for sometime I sadly feel (and that snipe at the lack of Flash on the iOS Devices comes from and iOS user! lol)

2. 2 Thanks to soveryapt:

nephilim (20th June 2011), penfold (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Apple and others marketing technology as fashion irks me, but at the end of the day I'll look at anything purely on its merits and use in the various environments within school. We initially looked at iPads for our sixth formers, but we've managed to put forward a case for a different tablet that offers more functionality and ease of integration.

Do agree about that iPhone advert though. Makes me want to smash the TV in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    oh that's good....the neg rep i got with "What an idiotic and ill informed post. No wonder some schools see techicians as a barrier to progress!"

i didnt realise that an advert aimed at the entire population of the UK was what was stopping schools progressing. i'll go straight out and buy 25 ipads as i wouldn't want to hinder progress in the school.....now how do you suggest i integrate them into the everyday learning here?
    I've not really seen the need for neg rep....

Surely that is for something that is offensive and possibly derogatory? No opinion, so far, in this thread has been either!

Anyhoooo....back on topic, the advert IS for those with a short attention span....BUY ME BUY ME it shouts at you, because ALL these people would WANT ONE!

Well, having had an evaluation unit, from my college, I thought it was a decent piece of kit, very well made, but honestly? What possible use could it have for me? Then our web designed wrote an app for the inventory. But that's still 400-500 for a glorified clipboard!

Ok...Let the neg repping of that comment commence!!!

5. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

nephilim (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    I was giving a table away on Freecycle on Friday, and I said I'd deliver it to the woman because I was passing anyway. I knocked at the wrong door and was met by what was seemingly a hippy ready to dispense something that may or may not have been legal. I quickly asked if it was him the table was for, but it wasn't. Looking for a hasty exit I couldn't believe it when he pulled an iPhone from his pocket and proceeded to give me directions!

This may be me judging but this guy didn't look the kind to hold down employment of any kind (could be wrong), looked like he had a parcel for the next fella who knocked at his door, and had a room full of scallies getting merry on something that, again, may or may not have been legal. Coupled with the fact he lives in the worst part of town, (and I'm sorry for judging again) how can he afford an iPhone?! That was all that was going through my head! How?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    how can he afford an iPhone?! That was all that was going through my head! How?!
    because to a dealer....its invaluable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I couldn't talk properly at 2 years old
    Neither could I. I ended up at speech therapy. But then I was an only child at that time, my parents had no friends with children my age, and I was more interested in playing with the computer.

My point is I honestly believe the vast majority of children will pick just about anything up so long as they are interested in it. The iPad isn't the first device young children can use, its just marketed as such.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    because to a dealer....its invaluable
    And to a dealer.....Huge amounts of cash are readily available.

So, that's how he affords it....but even then, he'll've been sucked into the Apple fashion statements. Probably cos he was too stoned to realise it.....But that's a sweeping statement.........

as is "Look how well my broom does"

Thank Post
    You people who have the choice in iPads or not, think yourselves lucky. We bought 4 last year. 2 for use as SEN communication tools, which they do rather well, and 2 for me and the ICT Teacher to evaluate and use in IT to see how we could best integrate them into the school and if we could use them ..

a month or two later, I now have 25 iPads that the head has bought and were delivered without consultation as she likes the idea of them .. so my summer project (as well as the usual tidying up, shifting things around, making stone age work as if it were at least in the age of steam power, fitting new WiFi through the school, etc) I have to find the best way to integrate the iPads through the school and find the best way to keep track of purchases without sharing all the details with the entire school staff .. fun times! lol ..

Having said that, if I can get this to work, I believe in giving the kids the use of a wide range of tech so they're not just MS Spokes people when they leave, but have experienced Linux, Mac OSX / iOS, Windows, etc.

Thank Post
    I was giving a table away on Freecycle on Friday, and I said I'd deliver it to the woman because I was passing anyway. I knocked at the wrong door and was met by what was seemingly a hippy ready to dispense something that may or may not have been legal. I quickly asked if it was him the table was for, but it wasn't. Looking for a hasty exit I couldn't believe it when he pulled an iPhone from his pocket and proceeded to give me directions!

This may be me judging but this guy didn't look the kind to hold down employment of any kind (could be wrong), looked like he had a parcel for the next fella who knocked at his door, and had a room full of scallies getting merry on something that, again, may or may not have been legal. Coupled with the fact he lives in the worst part of town, (and I'm sorry for judging again) how can he afford an iPhone?! That was all that was going through my head! How?!
    Stop being jealous and get yourself round their for some sweet scally pie - don't worry, they'll look better once you're high

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Stop being jealous and get yourself round their for some sweet scally pie - don't worry, they'll look better once you're high
    A good Christian boy like me?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A good Christian boy like me?!
    fine.....marry her first

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    FLASHy? No, that's not something an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch will be for sometime I sadly feel (and that snipe at the lack of Flash on the iOS Devices comes from and iOS user! lol)
    Now if only I would have thought that

Thank Post
    Where's the book of family photos Grandad.....you know, the photos of the last 30 years showing Mam and Dad getting married and us kids being born etc??

Oh, they are all on Picasa now.

I can't log-in Grandad......

Oh no, I forgot to pay the subscription...they've all beed DELETED!!!!!

Google do not delete your account / pics even if your account has expired. they just disable it. I have a friend that got everything back after 6 months.

Thank Post
    Did I not see an app that would allow teachers to do sims.net based functions on iphone and ipad?

I am sure I saw this somewhere...

I have an ipad which I use mainly at home for doing simple things like ordering take away and doing the shopping on Ocado - I plug it into the Zeppelin when i want to play music and when my niece comes around she plays on it (her dad has one too so she probably knows more about it than I do) - When I get away for a weekend, I take it over a laptop as it is smaller and lighter than a laptop and for what I need it for when I am away (checking weather and tides, I kite surf) it is easier to use and a better sized display than my phone.

My girlfriend is a teacher and she is excited about using ipads or other tablets in her classroom in conjunction with her interactive whiteboard.

the beauty of the product is that is cheap, it makes people excited enough to produce thousands of apps (90% are useless) but out of them come some great features that work.

Yeah I hate the advertisement, it is patronising and aimed as Americans mainly - thickos with no thoughts of their own (neg rep that please)

Thank Post
    Coupled with the fact he lives in the worst part of town, (and I'm sorry for judging again) how can he afford an iPhone?! That was all that was going through my head! How?!
    He probably can't but "needed it". I know several people that moan they are struggling to make ends meet (genuinely so) but somehow manage to find enough money for a new iPhone. Some of them can't even see the contradiction in telling you they've had to borrow money from relatives to pay for rent, food, car repairs, etc. then 2 minutes later mention the new iPhone they have just got.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast