Poll: Whats your favourite genre of music?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Music in General; I'm currently breaking in my new wireless headphones with a large and random collection of music and it got me ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Music

I'm currently breaking in my new wireless headphones with a large and random collection of music and it got me thinking - what is my favourite style of music, which I'm now going to ask everyone here...

Also, has your musical taste changed since you were younger? Become more eclectic? Or has it narrowed?

Finally, are there any albums or singles in your collection which you really like but are really embarrassed to admit to owning and liking?

(Note: There are many hundreds of styles, and I can't remember them all or list them all. If I have missed your particular favourite, I apologise!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Music

As a child I was brought up on heavy doses of The Beatles and classical music. During my teens I was into dance/trance for a long time. Now it varies - trance, house, drum & bass/jungle, smooth jazz, bit of indie; but mainly electronic.

Most popular artists of all time/currently include Air, Royksopp, Groove Armada, Orbital, William Orbit, Camera Obscura(NEW!), Coldplay, Adam F and LTJ Bukem.

I really can't stand heavy rock/metal and R&B/rap or rave (car alarm music)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I used to hate all things Dance and Hip-Hop but now I find myself enjoying a variety of electronic music and rap (such as chamillionaire). I also like some country, folk, minimalist (Mike Oldfield style), Pop, Indie and others).

My favourite is and always has been rock, with a lean towards metal.

I still make fun of people for liking Pop though Or old cheesy stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have very collective mix of albums main ones blues, jazz and soul but have albums from pop to heavy metal.

Albums don't admit to owning hmmm maybe Tom Jones album in my defence he was dueting on jools hollands album hence why I have it...

That's no better is it... oh dear

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

'All of the above' ...

I love nothing better than shuffling my music (60GB+) and coming out with The Wurzel's followed by some very serious organ music (and not just Bach either ... most organ music people have is Bach!) ... followed by Tangerine Dream and topped off with Tin Machine (yeah ... I know ... yet another incarnation of the bizarre one).

I can't think of any of the above I don't listen too ... but I tend to draw the line at popified Reggae ... I dislike most of the stuff UB40 have done ... Let's face it, they should have stopped *before* Labour of Love II.

Personal affinity has got to be Irish / Celtic music ... including Irish / Celtic Folk (look ... there is nothing wrong with folk music ... it's not all Morris Dancing and knitted yoghurt sweaters!). There are some good podcasts around for it at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Oh, I like folk - not necessarily Celtic, more Lancashire folk such as Fivepenny Piece and the like.

My most embarrassing album would have to be 'Phil Collins - Hits'...

richard

I'm a Goth, EBM, Darkwave, Industrial fan but I listen to all sorts of music as well. At present I'm getting into punk thanks to a DJ friend of mine in particular bands like The Warriors and Sick on the Bus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

taste in music, hmmm allsorts really, Queen, Genisis, The Fray, Aerosmith, Abba, Bryan Adams, Coldplay, Keane, James Blunt, David Bowie, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, George Michael, Kylie Minogue, Level 42, The Lightening Seeds, Wet Wet Wet, Michael Jackson, Mika, Nik Kershaw, Pink Floyd, REM, Supertramp, Stingm Tina Turner, U2, the list goes on, so allsorts really. I enjoy my napster subscription, best £10 a month I spend, unlimited music all round the house from my system, plays on my Roku device in the kitchen, on the 360 in another room, on my laptop all off 1 main machine

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Forgot to put that I also dont mind a bit of Sergey Prokofiev, well just one track of his actually - Act I: Dance of the Knights, anyone that knows it will know why I like it, its just the first 2 minutes of it though. Its ok after that but not quite me.

Thank Post

Like:- UK folk in most of its incarnations, the English R&B scene from the 60s-70s, Pink Floyd and especially John Martyn's "London Conversations", a quite stunning album.

Dislike:- Dance in most of its incarnations, the 'fat lady' type opera & 'the best album ever' type shite.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

You forgot Punk

Thank Post

I love hip hop but not the majority of the recent american rubbish. Theres a few artists I like but I prefer british rappers

Most of my CD collection though is R&B/Soul - anything from 60's stuff up to the present day

Also quite like a bit of rock and reggae. Not much I dont like to be honest. Whereas when I was younger I was fairly narrow minded and wouldnt consider much outside of R&B

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    You forgot Punk
    I didn't. There is a limit on how many poll items are allowed and I had to make some tough decisions. In my mind Punk is more of a fringe-type music (I don't include all that pop-punk crap under the title 'punk') so thought it should go under Other in the end.

Thank Post

I rather like 1940s Jump Jive - people like Louis Jordan - good fun.

What I noticed was that music became just less "important" to me as I breached 40+ - I still like listening - but I'm not so passionate about it.

Noticing a similar trend in my younger friends too.

Still must get off to my allotment... ;-)

Thank Post

Indie/rock mainly - I have close to 100GB with all my FLAC stuff and it's almost all the above... not too keen on dance but you need some of the classics at parties! Depends on my mood, who I'm with, how drunk I am etc etc... I'm a grunger kid at heart and my taste has expanded as I've got older...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast