+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
General Chat Thread, Teacher Strike in General; Has no one posted about the upcoming Public Sector / teacher Strike? Will you be going on strike as well? ...
  1. #1
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112

    Teacher Strike

    Has no one posted about the upcoming Public Sector / teacher Strike? Will you be going on strike as well?

    BBC News - Teachers confirm 30 June as strike day

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647

  3. #3
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    I was wondering if more people will be going on strike as it is not just the Teaching Unions involved but also Unison etc.

  4. #4

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    I'm not and TBH i think the unions are a total waste of space. they cost this country so much money - yes you have a point but they are not going to listen to you.

    they partly put us in most of this mess

  5. #5
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,361
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 178 Times in 150 Posts
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I'm not and TBH i think the unions are a total waste of space. they cost this country so much money - yes you have a point but they are not going to listen to you.

    they partly put us in most of this mess
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

    How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.

  6. #6

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,270
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

    How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.
    All depends on the union, we have some here and I am certain that many of the reps/employees of the union are unable to deworm their pets for fear of being poisoned by the mediation.

  7. #7

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

    How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.
    Its my Opinion - I'm not going to start a big argument over it but thats just what i think.

    Yes they are there to protect people but they are pretty useless most of the time and just decided to strike over whatever.

    But I am of the nature that i just get on a do things and don't argue (aslong as it is reasonable).

    But before joining IT i worked in a Enviroment (catering) where it was just get on a do it and take you money at the end of the day and leave and then come in the next day to do the same

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

    How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.
    Can you give me some examples where union action has led to the protections and privileges we enjoy now? (And I don't mean individual cases of legal action being helped by them, I mean general laws/rules etc...).

  9. Thanks to localzuk from:

    glennda (15th June 2011)

  10. #9
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,361
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 178 Times in 150 Posts
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Can you give me some examples where union action has led to the protections and privileges we enjoy now? (And I don't mean individual cases of legal action being helped by them, I mean general laws/rules etc...).
    Well just recently:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/11/unions-attack-plans-to-reform-employment-laws

    T
    hink about it this way, although they probably don't shape the way our countries employment law has been developed they do allow us to have some say directly in the way our country is run. voting is one thing, but as the weekly bin collection voters have found out, promises aren't always kept!

  11. #10

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Well just recently:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/11/unions-attack-plans-to-reform-employment-laws

    T
    hink about it this way, although they probably don't shape the way our countries employment law has been developed they do allow us to have some say directly in the way our country is run. voting is one thing, but as the weekly bin collection voters have found out, promises aren't always kept!
    But lets face it - they are going to do what they are going to do so you might aswell just put up with it and get on with it - this country would be so much more productive if people just got on with things and stopped wasting so much money on pointless excersises.

    lets face it - what does a strike tell the government that a petition on the downing street site doesnt?

    not alot just P*ss's a whole load more people off.

  12. #11

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Well just recently:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/11/unions-attack-plans-to-reform-employment-laws

    T
    hink about it this way, although they probably don't shape the way our countries employment law has been developed they do allow us to have some say directly in the way our country is run. voting is one thing, but as the weekly bin collection voters have found out, promises aren't always kept!
    They can have their say without militant behaviour and strikes though. This kind of behaviour just annoys people, and makes them dig their heals in.

  13. #12

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,352
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Many of our employment laws are in place due to EU laws, not unions. Yet many people here dislike the EU...

  14. #13

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,808
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    Looking forward to it - chance to get some work done in piece!!

  15. #14

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,016
    Thank Post
    1,252
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Rep Power
    337
    Might put a few days holiday in and go walking in the Lakes

  16. #15

    beeswax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,285
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 225 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Many of our employment laws are in place due to EU laws, not unions. Yet many people here dislike the EU...
    Which EU laws would they be? Sick pay? Maternity leave? Paid holidays?

  17. Thanks to beeswax from:

    HallX (16th June 2011)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Teacher Laptops v Teacher Desk Computer
    By geeky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 5th February 2010, 09:21 AM
  2. Tube Strike
    By lionsl2005 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th June 2009, 05:02 PM
  3. Strike
    By Hightower in forum General Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 18th July 2008, 01:12 PM
  4. Unison Strike
    By pooley in forum General Chat
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 3rd July 2008, 07:10 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •