+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teacher Strike in General; Has no one posted about the upcoming Public Sector / teacher Strike? Will you be going on strike as well? ...
    Thank Post

Teacher Strike

Has no one posted about the upcoming Public Sector / teacher Strike? Will you be going on strike as well?

BBC News - Teachers confirm 30 June as strike day

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I was wondering if more people will be going on strike as it is not just the Teaching Unions involved but also Unison etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I'm not and TBH i think the unions are a total waste of space. they cost this country so much money - yes you have a point but they are not going to listen to you.

they partly put us in most of this mess

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I'm not and TBH i think the unions are a total waste of space. they cost this country so much money - yes you have a point but they are not going to listen to you.

they partly put us in most of this mess
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I have to say that that is just plain wrong! Unions are there to protect, we wouldn't have half the privaledges at work without them.

How do they cost the country more money than putting up hundreds of (already) rich politicians in their 'second' home in London? Or the 100 bedroom house the deputy pm has..... They protect the very people that ACTUALLY work really hard for what can amount to hardly anything at all.
    All depends on the union, we have some here and I am certain that many of the reps/employees of the union are unable to deworm their pets for fear of being poisoned by the mediation.

Thank Post

Its my Opinion - I'm not going to start a big argument over it but thats just what i think.

Yes they are there to protect people but they are pretty useless most of the time and just decided to strike over whatever.

But I am of the nature that i just get on a do things and don't argue (aslong as it is reasonable).

But before joining IT i worked in a Enviroment (catering) where it was just get on a do it and take you money at the end of the day and leave and then come in the next day to do the same

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can you give me some examples where union action has led to the protections and privileges we enjoy now? (And I don't mean individual cases of legal action being helped by them, I mean general laws/rules etc...).

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

glennda (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Can you give me some examples where union action has led to the protections and privileges we enjoy now? (And I don't mean individual cases of legal action being helped by them, I mean general laws/rules etc...).
    Well just recently:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/11/unions-attack-plans-to-reform-employment-laws

T
    hink about it this way, although they probably don't shape the way our countries employment law has been developed they do allow us to have some say directly in the way our country is run. voting is one thing, but as the weekly bin collection voters have found out, promises aren't always kept!

Thank Post
    Well just recently:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/11/unions-attack-plans-to-reform-employment-laws

T
    hink about it this way, although they probably don't shape the way our countries employment law has been developed they do allow us to have some say directly in the way our country is run. voting is one thing, but as the weekly bin collection voters have found out, promises aren't always kept!
    But lets face it - they are going to do what they are going to do so you might aswell just put up with it and get on with it - this country would be so much more productive if people just got on with things and stopped wasting so much money on pointless excersises.

lets face it - what does a strike tell the government that a petition on the downing street site doesnt?

not alot just P*ss's a whole load more people off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well just recently:

T
    They can have their say without militant behaviour and strikes though. This kind of behaviour just annoys people, and makes them dig their heals in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Many of our employment laws are in place due to EU laws, not unions. Yet many people here dislike the EU...

Thank Post
    Looking forward to it - chance to get some work done in piece!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Might put a few days holiday in and go walking in the Lakes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Many of our employment laws are in place due to EU laws, not unions. Yet many people here dislike the EU...
    Which EU laws would they be? Sick pay? Maternity leave? Paid holidays?

17. Thanks to beeswax from:

HallX (16th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast