+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any Mondeo drivers out there? in General; Originally Posted by wagnerk I used to have a diesel Mondeo (now a Focus). One thing that I like about ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    I used to have a diesel Mondeo (now a Focus). One thing that I like about the Mondeo (not sure about the petrol version, but I believe it's the same) is that they don't use a Cam-belt, rather they use a "Cam Chain" - they're normally good to (and over) 100,000 miles

-ken
    all ford duractec engines and i believe the newer duratorque dervs are chains not belts

Thank Post
    see below, didnt mean to post twice, was warned that leaving the page would loose my reply, i clicked cancel and it must of sent the responce anyway :/
    Last edited by Flakes; 15th June 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmm not a mondeo driver but the only two things i would definately check is the Clutch/Gearbox and the powersteering pipe under the bonnet they are known to leak power steering fluid if the pipe is damaged or worn, on my 2005 Focus i needed to replace the pipe after 55k luckily i was covered under the garage warranty period, i later looked at the pipe and released it was rather close to a particular moving part in the engine bay so i moved it away a little bit, no problems since.

if you get a chance check the wheel arches particulary behind the mudflaps for rust, and a point just under the boot which gets a rust spot from some cables running through that area and "rubbing" against the paint work. Other than that dont think you can go wrong with a 2litre diesel mondeo, just make sure to get the Zetec or above for the better suspension which in turn will give you better handling(although it rides slighty harder cause its technically the "sport" suspension)

Thank Post
    I've got the new shape 2008 mondeo and it's genius. A little old man for my liking but its lovely to drive. I've had the odd issue with it but ford have sorted it out under warranty and not had any big problems. The support online for them is great too. I can't speak for the model before though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'm looking around for a new car ATM, and have set my sights on either a Mondeo (2006-ish model) or a VW Passatt running on diesel. You can get a very well specced Mondeo (alll the goodies) with about 56k on the clock for about 4000. For a Passatt of similar age and spec you can add 2k on top of that. I had a rental Mondeo for a feew several years back and was very impressed with it, particularly the milage I got, and so I'm just asking here if anyone has a similar age/milage one and can let me know of any faults or things I should look for when shopping around and test driving etc. as it would be of great help, especially if I have to factor in a new cam-belt for an initial service.

Cheers.

P.S. I also like the HUGE boot on the Mondeo!
    You know you want to sell the wife and children and get a Tiguan Just don't get it in black and the Sport model or it will look like we copied each other hehe. Serious note car auctions will be your friend for a VW Passat, an ex company car at auction will be a great buy for you I'm sure, @bossman has a great Passat really great condition and he didn't pay silly money either for it

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Go for a Skoda fabia or a hybrid if possible...most Honda's are hybrids now and are built solid!
    You do mean a Octavia really, Fabia's are Polos not Passats.

A Fabia! And once I get the server-room-in-a-box in there, where am I supposed to sit? There is a reason I need a big boot y'know.
    In the driver's seat, its just where does ZH and Ric_ sit that is the question!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John is right, I did mean an Octavia...lol...since Monday I've had about 8 hours sleep so I am not functioning properly!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still don't see why you don't consider a SMART car

Although the Hondas are dull, you can always get some bling for them ... and perhaps some fancy exhaust pipes ... and perhaps some of those snazzy fluorescent lights underneath (remembering to paint the car a scary orange or yellow).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Still don't see why you don't consider a SMART car

Although the Hondas are dull, you can always get some bling for them ... and perhaps some fancy exhaust pipes ... and perhaps some of those snazzy fluorescent lights underneath (remembering to paint the car a scary orange or yellow).
    and if you go to the right website you can get some cool LED lights to put around the bumpers, sirens and flashing lights to put in the grill and make them Well Cool

Thank Post
    We've got a 2006 2litre TDCi Edge which has been fine... 30-40 mins mixed trips gets me ~48mpg and it's 50+ on long M1 motorway trips etc.. No expert but I reckon the torque is pretty good given what I can easily breeze past up hilly slip-roads. Boot is handy. We don't have any gaffer tape, but I get the bumper flimsiness. Pains: Where I was situated when the EGR valve went (you're not going anywhere), the rear seatbelt locking thing you can get when you put rear seats down, size (I borrow t'other half's for nipping out and parking in very tight places/spaces), how long it takes the trip-thingy to decide that you've got 100+ miles left instead of that 25 it reckoned coz you were parked on a hill.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 15th June 2011 at 11:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A Fabia! And once I get the server-room-in-a-box in there, where am I supposed to sit? There is a reason I need a big boot y'know.
    You would get the srib in the boot of a fabia (with care) but you would end up with a back seat looking like a van....

I speak from recent experience....

Cheap and not bad to drive thou
    Last edited by robk; 16th June 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Dos_Box:

Here is the same 130bhp model I have with full leather interior for 3500:

2005 VolksWagon Passat Highline *130 BHP* Used Volkswagen for sale West Yorkshire Leeds

You will love it

Thank Post
    The daughters boy friends does a lot of miles in various cars (site engineer). He's recently had a Passat and a Honda Accord. He much prefers the Passat, better drive and better diesel engine. He's never had the Ford so no comment there!!

The Fabia would be a little small, but the Octavia, or the Superb (rebadged Passat) would work, although it's based on the previous generation Passat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After some searching yesterday a new contender has entred the fray.
    The Peugeot 407:

You can pick these up marginally cheaper than the Mondeo and gives better MPG for a far better spec. Bearing in mind I don't actually do that much milage it's a lot of car for not very much.

Thank Post
    After some searching yesterday a new contender has entred the fray.
    The Peugeot 407:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Executive.jpg

You can pick these up marginally cheaper than the Mondeo and gives better MPG for a far better spec. Bearing in mind I don't actually do that much milage it's a lot of car for not very much.
    depending how much you need rear seat access there is also a coupe version of that which looks much better
    Any Mondeo drivers out there?-peugeot-407-coupe-bellagio-01.jpg

engine wise shouldnt be much diff between a pug and a ford derv as they are basically the same engine

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I need 4 doors. 2 Kids, and the occasional need to drop seats for filling car with large amounts of gear.
    I did like the look of the coupe though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast