+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, files gone from external hdd in General; I only posted this in here as it relates to a personal hdd nothing work related. I have a 1tb ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

files gone from external hdd

I only posted this in here as it relates to a personal hdd nothing work related.
    I have a 1tb external usb drive which i had two folders on, work and home. home had loads of holiday photos, letters etc. work had backups of things i wanted, layouts, ad policies, etc.

up until yesterday all was fine, but i noticed yesterday the home folder had gone. i've run a couple of free file recovery progs which appear to recover a few docs, but not all. i didn't delete the home folder, so assume it has been lost by me unplugging it unsafely

are there any progs that could successfully scan and recover these? the programs ive tried show some docs saying "overwritten by i:\home\xxxxxx" but i:\home doesn't exist. i haven't written or deleted anything from it since in the hope that it wont overwrite anything on there.

any ideas?
    cheers

Thank Post
    hmm, i know its a silly question to ask have you checked to make sure that it just hasnt moved? Ctrl+f and searched for a folder called "home"?

used to have a good program, ill see if i can dig it up for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    hmm, i know its a silly question to ask have you checked to make sure that it just hasnt moved? Ctrl+f and searched for a folder called "home"?

used to have a good program, ill see if i can dig it up for you.
    i tried to rule out the silly ones, but i haven't really used the drive much, and haven't been in the home folder. apart from that the drive went from about 600gb free to 800gb free so im assuming the drive believes it was deleted

Thank Post
    Winhex but it isnt free (unless you are dodgy)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Winhex but it isnt free (unless you are dodgy)
    isn't it? ive just googled it and the first link i got for winhex is a free download and its opened without asking for payment?

Thank Post
    Well there is a "free" version but I believe there is a limit to the size or number of files it will recover for you, (can't be exactly sure though).

However I can safely say that is a is an excellent piece of software, that I have used to recover files of a hard drives that make ticking sounds and all sorts. I used it only yesterday to recover a file from a flash drive.

Thank Post
    Have you turned on hidden and system folders to make sure that you don't have that virus which hides and moves your files?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah yes i see what you mean, no files larger than 200kb can be recovered. looks like i might be buying that then!

Thank Post
    It is awesome (though can be complicated), I first used it a few years ago (through a dodgy license), however having used it and realised how much time and effort it was saved me I bought it, I did a 'full trial' then bought it! Definitely an excellent piece of software though.

Thank Post
    I've used Recover My Files recently which again isn't free but I was impressed by. I managed to recover a load of files from a hard drive after it had been formatted by PC World.

Thank Post
    Im suprised you didnt get someone elses hard drive and files if PC World had touched the machine (I worked fixing laptops for them, so I have seen things).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Winhex so far is the only one that showed me the "Home" directory and all files inside. the others ive tried just showed me files similar to the old undelete command. winhex seems to be recovering all so just want to say thanks to everyone for advice, and @Achandler for mentioning winhex

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Im suprised you didnt get someone elses hard drive and files if PC World had touched the machine (I worked fixing laptops for them, so I have seen things).
    Me neither! Friend's daughter had a problem with her laptop the day she was due to fly to the States for a couple of months so took it there. It went from "we'll have to wipe the hard drive but it will be fixed in 2 hours", then 3 hours later "we're just fixing it now" to "it will take 10 weeks to fix". I fixed it in 3 days which included recovering her photos from the formatted HDD and waiting 2 days for a new hard drive to be delivered...

Thank Post
    Have a look at Testdisk or Recuva both are free. I find Recuva easier to use but Testdisk will recover files from lost partitions. As always recover the files it finds to a different drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Have a look at Testdisk or Recuva both are free. I find Recuva easier to use but Testdisk will recover files from lost partitions. As always recover the files it finds to a different drive.
    no need now as winhex is recovering, but one of the ones i initially tried was recuva. without a deep scan it found very little, with a deep scan it froze on 30% and refused to move (after a day)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast