+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Laptop Justification Help!! in General; ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Laptop Justification Help!!

Hi!

I am a network manager and only it support staff in a special school in Birmingham. and need to write a justification to purchase myself a new computer or laptop of a high end spec that everyone will understand. So far I have

• Virtualization I am a heavy virtual box user for testing new client configuration’s and new server changes tests. (I need a none techy way of expanding this)
    • Speech Recognition I am a heavy user of dragon has I am dyslectic.
    • Network Management Tasks from home (over VPN) and work.
    • Testing new software installers sometimes recurring 10s of installs and reinstalls.
    • Working from home when school is closed or out of office times
    • Multitasking I am often doing several things at ones witch requires more ram and cpu than an average user ,
    • My currant laptop is over 7 years old and desktop is over 4.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thank Post
    If you use Adobe for graphics (Or any other suite) for publications etc or maybe even moderate video editing for the school, you do need a fairly decent machine to run them.

I think you have covered most of what i would of said but if i think of anything i will add .

Also your personal development certain programmes or applications that you can continue learning at home but don't think you'd need a high spec machine for that.

Thank Post
    I dont think you need to put in the bit about working from home. Working from home isn't justification to have a high spec machine. Having Dragon itself requires a fairly decent machine as it needs to be working on top of evething else you are doing increasing the specs required for the machine. For testing installs I would say you would be better using a standard machine that is similar to the standard desktops rather than a machine which will run everything you throw at it.

Personally I dont need a particularly high spec machine as I dont do anything specific with my machine which requires this. However, I do have access to use and test things on other computers. Identify why you have a need for your multitasking & Virtualisation use. But you could still possibly do this with a standard machine with a bit more memory. You will still possibly need to explain the difference between a standard user and you in terms of multitasking, but if you are using virtualisation on your work PC then you need to explain why. The requirement alone for this should allow you to justify a minimum spec.

And dont confuse needing a new machine with needing a high spec machine. If you have any software which has a minimum/recommended requirement then you can use that as justification of a minimum requirement of your purchase.
    Last edited by penfold; 13th June 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    throw a handful of paperclips into the old ones when they are running and then tell them you need new ones because the old ones blew up

Thank Post
    I remember writing a justification document to the govenors outlining why I needed a 16GB workstation. I got it btw

Laptop may be harder to justify.

remembering it's harder to justify something new than it is to replace something you've already had

Thank Post
    Try:

"My laptop is 7 years old
    My desktop is 4 years old

The tools I need to ensure everything else is running shouldn't be the main point of failure in ensuring everything is running."

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking of just getting a laptop has i seem never to get into my very small office! And end up having to borrow a class laptop a lot for meetings and staff training. I am trying to justify an i7 with 8 GB of ram. The accounts department have about that spec with dual monitors in the case of a business manager.

At the moment I am doing most of my testing on virtual box has been a residential school we have no down time other than holidays. I do use a real computer sometimes when there is one spare.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    throw a handful of paperclips into the old ones when they are running and then tell them you need new ones because the old ones blew up
    good idea but the kids do that hear with out promting has lead to meny an upgrade!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamw View Post
    <SNIP>

I was thinking of just getting a laptop has i seem never to get into my very small office! And end up having to borrow a class laptop a lot for meetings and staff training. I am trying to justify an i7 with 8 GB of ram. The accounts department have about that spec with dual monitors in the case of a business manager.

<SNIP>
    Then I dont see why you need to justify getting a new one for you. The age alone is an indication that your current machines probably need replacing and as others already have a spec similar to what you are after I dont see why you need to justify a specific machine for your use. I cant imagine the business manager does more with their PC than what you need it to do!?!

Although be aware if you get a laptop because you dont get into your office very often, be prepared to never get in there. If you get a new PC which you NEED to use to do your job, now could be a good time to put your stamp on a work area, if your workstation is in there then you will need access to that room. Or alternatively ask for a new office too

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice.

At the moment I am doing most of my testing on virtual box has been a residential school we have no down time other than holidays. I do use a real computer sometimes when there is one spare.
    If the upgrade is unsuccessful, steal the contents of his tower, swap it with yours and polish the case with foamclean. £50 says he won't notice.

Thank Post
    I would suggest the biggest thing is the Virtual machine images, if you are using the laptop to test updates to server images and test server based changes before implementation then I'd suggest this is a good enough reason by itself.

Thank Post
    Depending on the size of the VM images you have you might want to take a look at getting a SSD in there to help speed things along.
    My personal Laptop is a HP dv2 - only a 1.6ghz Athlon Neo processor but it speeds along with as many VMs as I like thanks to its SSD and to be honest I've never run into any serious performance issues with it.

Thank Post
    If have been looking at the SSD options myself. After playing with a macbook air. It seems cost effective to go for a 256gb one witch might just be enough for the main OS and a few VM images.

<Rant>
    The office issue I do have a room I can use but I share it with the servers and all of the toner supply's has well has a number of out of action computers. The head has promised to move me asap. I have lost about 80% of the storage space over the last few years, but will see on that front. Also it is next to the copper witch leads to a lot of stupid question's
    </Rant>

The main problem I have with the justification of this is that I am the one who specs up and oks things for most other people but this has to go to a committee.

Thank Post
    I share my room with servers, old computers, toners and all other computer related stuff, nothing wrong with that. Well except the noise, the fact the aircon is pretty cold and you always fall over stuff!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If have been looking at the SSD options myself. After playing with a macbook air. It seems cost effective to go for a 256gb one witch might just be enough for the main OS and a few VM images.
    A Macbook Air, cost effective, eep.

An SSD would be nice but for virtualisation you are going to want space, CPU cores and RAM none of which are the Air's strong points.

Get something with an i7 8GB min of RAM and 500GB minimum of hard drive. It sounds like you are after a portable solution and a powerful solution which are difficult to get without compromises. It sounds like you would be better off with two devices, a netbook for portability and a bigger machine for grunt.

If you want/need to combine these roles something like an hp envy can be speced up with an i7 along with large amounts of RAM and HD while remaining portable and costing less than a car.

As for justification just use a comparison, if the business staff already have similar spec (remembering that a desktop i7 will kick the stuffing out of a laptop one every day and night of the week) and they do accounts, running four or five programs. By comparison you just need to point out that to do your job properly you need to run many more programs that are much more complicated including simulating new installs (like a test image of the whole accounts pc) inside your new PC while having to run your existing stuff as well.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 14th June 2011 at 09:16 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast