+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Some TV recommendations in General; Originally Posted by Dom_ Had I not seen a headline that ruined it for me, I totally wouldn't have seen ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Had I not seen a headline that ruined it for me, I totally wouldn't have seen it coming!
    Neither did I! I assumed he would have survived and had a chance to restore his honor by killing all those poxy Lannisters! (Except the imp who is one of the best characters in the show!)

Thank Post
    Aye, it was quite cool that they used his sword from the first episode to do it though, I was sure when he saw the guy in the crowd that there was some Robin Hood style escape on the cards!

3. Thanks to Dom_ from:

Rawns (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Aye, it was quite cool that they used his sword from the first episode to do it though, I was sure when he saw the guy in the crowd that there was some Robin Hood style escape on the cards!
    I did not realise it was that sword. Likewise, I was hoping for some kind of epic rescue attempt! Rarely a show "really" stirs my emotions, but when that happened, I was so angry! As the sword came down and went "chop", I grabbed my head in utter shock!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the necro, but just finished watching through GoT at the weekend, and I still can't stop thinking about it (watched the last three episodes back to back). This may be a bit spoilery, though I'll try not to speak in specifics.

An absolutely stellar, unbeatable, impeccable series. Just incredible. Acting all round was superb, and learning the characters was a bit of a challenge early on (so many to introduce!) but by god, each and every one of them was brilliant. The first time Jaime Lannister walked on screen my wife and I went "Prince Charming, then" but he turned out to be so much more - a man haunted by past deeds, tarred by them even, with the expectations of a father on his head, an inappropriate relationship with close family members, a masochistic love of pain... and he's far from the best character in it (which is, of course, Tyrion Lannister, wandering around with Jerome Flynn's knight, who is also surprisingly marvellous).

The best part of the show was the interaction between Mark Addy and Sean Bean, who've known each other for years anyway, and it showed. Such a brilliant portrayal of two men who've changed the world but just want to be left alone now. One of my favourite parts was King Robert's conversation about the first time he killed a man - so wonderfully understated by all characters, and genuinely revealing.

Even the Khal Drogo storyline over the sea picked up and won me over, and Danaerys' character arc was impeccably acted. Her brother's crowning did make me feel a bit squeamish, though he absolutely had it coming.

The pivotal moment, though, from the end of episode 9, still has me in shock. So undeserved, and unfair, and cowardly. The contrast to episode one - "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" - is little consolation, I fear. The man deserved so much better, and I'm almost mourning for him.

My biggest problem now is that I'm torn between devouring the books and waiting for the adaptations - the TV show has been so superb I almost don't want to ruin all the twists, but I don't know how I'll wait...!
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 20th July 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    The new season of Mongrels starts in a few weeks. How did everyone got on with that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    My biggest problem now is that I'm torn between devouring the books and waiting for the adaptations - the TV show has been so superb I almost don't want to ruin all the twists, but I don't know how I'll wait...!
    I'd go for the books, mainly because (now you're aware of the show, especially) it will be very hard to avoid spoilers for future events. If you start now the long-awaited fifth book should be out in paperback by the time you need it (depending on your free time).

Thank Post
    Who watched Borgen on BBC4? All of the intrigue of The Killing with none of the violence. The only casualty so far is a guy with a dicky heart who died on the job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Who watched Borgen on BBC4? All of the intrigue of The Killing with none of the violence. The only casualty so far is a guy with a dicky heart who died on the job.
    Me - was more watchable than I expected, but not quite as good as having Sarah Lund/Sophie Grabol at the centre.

Thank Post
    Sarah Lund/Sophie Grabol at the centre.
    She'll probably be in it at some stage, everyone else seems to be

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Yep, rather enjoyed it.

Thank Post
    While I wait for GoT/Spartacus/Walking Dead to come back, someone recommended that I should watch The Mentalist - and it's amazing!

Light viewing enough for my partner to enjoy it, but deep enough for me to love it! If anyone hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it enough, and having just finished season 3, it's still getting better!

Thank Post
    Another "Killing" started on Saturday and the "Secret of Crickley Hall" was quite promising last night. I like a good ghost story.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234