+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Help - Scooter won't start! in General; Yesterday my scooter started fine and got me to and from work without a hitch. This morning I kicked it ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help - Scooter won't start!

Yesterday my scooter started fine and got me to and from work without a hitch.

This morning I kicked it over and started straight away but then I realised I had to grab my wallet from the house so I switched it off, went into the house and grabbed my wallet. When I got back to the scooter and tried to kick it over the bugger just wouldn't start. When kicking it over (the kick-start not the bike) it sometimes make a little grumble as though it is about to fire up but nothing happens!

It has a full tank of fuel. (Visual check)
    There is a spark. (Put spark plug against engine, kicked it over and could see a good spark)

Anyone any ideas?

I was due to give it an oil change this weekend as well as a good clean but looks like I've got more important thongs to focus on now!

Thanks in antisipation!

Thank Post
    Did the plug look wet around the contacts? Could have been a flooded engine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will have a butchers again later. If it is flooded what can i do about it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it was flooded you could kick it over a few times with the fuel shut off or you could just leave it with the plug out for a while. If you are feeling dangerous you can kick it over with the fuel off and the plug out which will spit the fuel out but it doe mean flying fuel. If it is still being problematic after you could try spraying some engine start in and/or cleaning or replacing the plug, also check the leads (to the plugs) are attached propperly.

Thank Post
    If it has manual gears, try bump starting it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Never had a scooter but I used to have a motor cross bike and did flood the engine a couple of times, I either

Tried a few times to kick start it ensuring I held the clutch in whilst kick starting it a few times, obviously the clutch thing will depend on if its manual or not

If that failed then I left it for a good few hours and tried again later ( as above I also did the first thing with the fuel line turned off ) then once it had started and died due to no fuel then put the fuel back on and seemed to work.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a flooded engine to me too. Get an 8mm spanner and undo the 3 bolts holding the engine in place and remove the engine from the frame. Then run upstairs, pinch your missuses hair dryer and install in place. Should run no problem, and you will find you have 3hp more as well as a better sounding engine.

8. 5 Thanks to Hightower:

laserblazer (10th June 2011), mac_shinobi (10th June 2011), mattx (10th June 2011), MK-2 (10th June 2011), SteveT (10th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Sounds like a flooded engine to me too. Get an 8mm spanner and undo the 3 bolts holding the engine in place and remove the engine from the frame. Then run upstairs, pinch your missuses hair dryer and install in place. Should run no problem, and you will find you have 3hp more as well as a better sounding engine.
    Whilst you're at it. If you get some brasso and polish all the ports until they are really shiny, that will give you another 3-5HP

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Whilst you're at it. If you get some brasso and polish all the ports until they are really shiny, that will give you another 3-5HP
    That sounds like work, just run it on ethonol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    Used to own several "Lambretta's" in my time and the only reason they wouldn't start was because they were flooded, the best thing to do is to leave for about 10 mins as it will be an automatic choke system and will dry out the cylinder and spark plug then turn ignition on and kick-start or electric start without touching the throttle, it should start up fine.

Thank Post
    if its flooded it should start like normal after about 10 minutes, if it doesnt then it may be a jammed float in the carb or dirt in the carb jets. You could try easystart or deodorant if you don't have easystart to make sure its got a good spart then if it wont carry on running its fuel.

Thank Post
    If it kicks over and sounds like it's going to start but then won't, does it have an immobiliser? My mam's previous Mini (classic, not the modern fake tripe) had a secret switch that turn on/off the immobiliser. When the immobiliser was on, the car would turn over and sound like it's about to start but never would.

Thank Post
    Like all the other comments I'm going with flooded. Do you give it a hand full when you kickstart it? I used to flood my vespa all the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Stick it in second, pull the clutch in - run with it, jump on and dump the clutch.....or run with it in second [ whilst holding the clutch in, then let the clutch go ] and see if it starts to fire, if it does, jump on and open it up. Don't forget to jump on it before you open it up otherwise you will look silly.

Or is it a twist and go ?

BTW - you don't have an emeregency cut off switch do you which you may have accidently knocked..... Lost count how many times I've seen bikers do that..... [ myself included ]

Thank Post
    Might also be worth checking the oil level and topping up if necessary. Also check any air filters are clean.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast