+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Damage to PC's in General; Originally Posted by Geoff CCTV+billing parents for damage seems to be the only bullet proof counter measure. Seems to be ...
    Thank Post

Re: Damage to PC's

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    CCTV+billing parents for damage seems to be the only bullet proof counter measure.
    Seems to be working for us. No problems since the CCTV was installed in the IT rooms. The IT teachers also sit them boy/girl/boy/girl and also sit them at the same machine, giving accountability and ownership.

Thank Post

Ahhh... this is where the joys of working in a primary school kick in.

Damage done to PCs on purpose: 0% ... quite literally.

The worst I have seen is the kids continually turning the computers off at the plug sockets, but this isn't trying to damage the computers, it's just a lack of knowledge of how to shut them down.

Okay that isn't quite true, I have come across chewing gum in the CD drive once before... but that was only once.

And yes, whoever said it was boys that do the damage would be correct. That was always the case in my college... the girls seemed to have a lot more common sense and were above such things.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 877 Posts
    Blog Entries

Removed.

Thank Post

In my room, damage runs close to zero. Whilst I am in the room it is zero, the kids know I can ban them from the computers and the Internet, it is not worth the risk. The other rooms are a different story with mice and keyboards being damaged daily.

We use almost 100% optical mice and they are all cable tied in place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

Generally speaking I don't get much as the kids are 13 or under - the odd label peeled off or bit of plastic gone - BUT all damage appears in the IT suite that I am not based in AND a lot is caused by the teachers hauling the keyboards up and plonking them on top of the monitors - bent/broken pins abound!

Thank Post

I shouldn't have tempted fate. We have had our first instance of malicious damage caught on camera. One new Dell keyboard £15, carriage £10, my time for replacing it £35 per hour or part thereof. Bill and copy of the video evidence on DVD to the evil little scrote's equally unpleasant parents. Will be interesting to see what happens. Watch this space. (or YouTube, if I had my way!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by stephenleak
    I shouldn't have tempted fate. We have had our first instance of malicious damage caught on camera. One new Dell keyboard £15, carriage £10, my time for replacing it £35 per hour or part thereof. Bill and copy of the video evidence on DVD to the evil little scrote's equally unpleasant parents. Will be interesting to see what happens. Watch this space. (or YouTube, if I had my way!)
    What did they do to it?

Thank Post

we had a spate of damage a while back now due to the supply teachers not watching the class letting them do what they want
    so the school has gone camera crazy ip cams in every IT class now and gatt gets the nice job of doing conduct logs
    im sure gatt loves giving kids conduct logs
    he was going to give me 1 for pinching his biscuits of his desk
    and he disabled my account for 3 days 8O

we also have a camera in every corridor and the yards
    to watch for vandalism and etc.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pinemarten
    btw, it's always boys, isn't it? - are things any better in all-girls schools?
    opinions, anyone?
    I work in an all girls school and we've had about £800 worth of damage in about 5 weeks (since we've been totaling up the costs). Someone even pinched the memory out of one of our HP laser printers.

Generally mice stolen, ripped apart, pins bent (why do they have to remove them in the first place?), Keyboards with missing keys, cables cut thought with scissors (I'm waiting for a power lead to be snipped ), graffiti and general student ignorance.

And the staff swear blind that it's never done in their lessons.

HBJB

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenleak
    What did they do to it?
    Pulling keys and the tilting thingies off and throwing them. Then he actually leapt across the desks to attack another lad and sent the LCD monitors flying. Miraculously, they were OK.

They've paid up without a fight, BTW. I suppose if its on the telly it must be true.

Thank Post

When we start having mcahinces damaged in an area, i tend to monitor it very closely. I make sure the machines in the target room are not been written on stabbed punched etc. If i do find a damaged machine/mouse/keyboard/monitor. that class is hald back after school. the culprit always owns up and a bill is promptly sent home, followed by a detention after school on friday. Personally i would like to launch the little buggaers.

Thank Post

Over the past 3 years we have replaced 2000+ (yes 2000) keyboards and mice due to vandalism. If we get though a term without having to reorder (we order in blocks of 200) we consider it a success.

Thank Post

smash the keybpards across there heads.... aaa ya cant sorry were not allowed to do out like that

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP

Not here. We also use nylon cable ties. Within a day of the room being cable tied at least one tie has been cut. By the time a week has passed the majority of the ties are cut. We NEVER find out who is the guilty party. I suspect it happens during covered lessons when supply teachers are in place, over break or lunch, or while a student suggest to a member of staff that they can 'help' by moving a keyboard and/or mouse from computer A to computer B.
    We've started using small padlocks to tie together the cables - which has slowed things down a bit - I sourced a load for about £1.35 each - which seemed cheap in comparison to the amount of mice and keyboards that were walking.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Either way it rarely comes out of the Technical Support budget.
    There's the real point, isn't it - damage to equipment during lessons is a classroom management issue, and not a technical one. The mice in staff offices never have the buttons pulled off them and all their keyboards have the appropriate number of keys - this clearly shows that the IT Support Dept have not bought shoddy kit, so any abuse or vandalism to it should be treated in the same way as if a kid gets up and starts drawing on the walls.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast