+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Damage to PC's in General; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook We bill the department that look after that room. In rooms that are shared you can ...

Thank Post

Re: Damage to PC's

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    We bill the department that look after that room. In rooms that are shared you can bet that other departments are more than happy to point the finger at which department left it in a state, and then we can pin it down to an individual lesson.

If we know the student who did it we then bill the student, explaining to them and the parent that they pay the bill ... no arguements. Those that do arguement then get told that if they are not happy to pay the bill then we are more than happy to treat it as criminal damage and file either a criminal complaint or a civil claim.

We have an 80% success rate in getting the money back ... and those who don't we do not chase for a variety of reasons. Either way it rarely comes out of the Technical Support budget.
    Grumbledook, what did it actually take to get this in place? I'd love to get this kind of procedure and accountability implemented at my work - the resistance to it thus far has been rather odd.

Usually, it's either that the departmental budgets are too small to absorb this kind of damage-billing, and thus IT support's budget is used for it.
    In other instances, the damage occurs during registration periods, when the departments refuse to take responsibility for the damage and theft that occurs.
    While finance is well aware of the amount of money we waste on new keyboards, mice, etc, and have all the figures to support this, the SMT make all the right noises when this is brought up as an issue, but when push comes to shove, it's quietly dropped. I'm really not sure why, as it's undeniably a chronic waste of money, but the feeling seems to be that it's what the IT Support budget is for, so why bother shifting things around?

Any convincing points or leverage that you utilised to get this in place at your site would be most useful!
    (Aside from the cost issue, it's horribly depressing/demoralizing for the team to have to replace items day after day, with the teaching staff standing idly by when damage occurs, knowing full well that the same mice will be gone within a week, again)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    refuse to replace the mice, and keyboards and just leave them broken until the pupils get the idea
    That didn't work round here. The kids found out who was doing it and start scrapping in the school yard.

While I appreciate the intention, vigilante justice is prohibited by our anti-bullying policy.
    Hence why I said "blinkered view" by members of staff

Thank Post

"leaving things broken until they get the message" is tempting, but just penalises everyone for the actions of a few idiots.
    a bit like not replacing a vandalised bus shelter, so your granny has to stand in the rain because of some gawky caphead with sh*t for brains trying to impress his moronic mates on a saturday night .

btw, it's always boys, isn't it? - are things any better in all-girls schools?

opinions, anyone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derer1
    Grumbledook, what did it actually take to get this in place? I'd love to get this kind of procedure and accountability implemented at my work - the resistance to it thus far has been rather odd.

Any convincing points or leverage that you utilised to get this in place at your site would be most useful!
    (Aside from the cost issue, it's horribly depressing/demoralizing for the team to have to replace items day after day, with the teaching staff standing idly by when damage occurs, knowing full well that the same mice will be gone within a week, again)
    I went to the Business Manager and said that I was hacked off paying for the stupidty of others and so it is time to make sure that classroom management also extends to the classroom environment. Of course this was timed to be just after she had the bill for repairs of doors, windows and chairs ...

THen when I went to the Head I told him the amount of time that was lost to students due to damaged machines. This has an impact on the results to he was happy too.

It is amazing what you can do when you have worked out which buttons to press. Admittedly I am going to stop it now for a bit as things have improved ... and I tend to focus on problem departments in rotation ... saves my NM time chasing and tracking things.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by derer1
    Usually, it's either that the departmental budgets are too small to absorb this kind of damage-billing, and thus IT support's budget is used for it.
    In other instances, the damage occurs during registration periods, when the departments refuse to take responsibility for the damage and theft that occurs.
    We have an (almost) blanket policy of having IT rooms barred from use as registration rooms. The one which does have a registration group in it sees an awful lot of mouse balls go missing, which certain cretins love throwing at each other.

Its also worth investigating getting some cheap PC based CCTV - we've only invested about £700 in ours and have about eight cameras all streaming to HDD from motion sensitive cameras. It has already paid for two power sockets to be replaced in the sixth form room.

I'm surprised a manufacturer hasn't come up with some 'brat proof' mice and keyboards yet.... Anyone want to accompany me on the next series of Dragons Den?

Thank Post

We've just had a spate of this. On our older Dell desktops, if you remove the blanking plate for the CD drive (removed), you can reach inside and guess what is in front of you on the motherboard? The RAM chips! However, some wooden blocks from the woodwork shop (I was all for mousetraps, myself) in the drive bay and CCTV seems to be doing the trick - so far - touch wood ...

Thank Post

We here have has similar issues. Over the past school year we have replaced over 100 mice in our labs. Some of the steps we have taken have been to zip-tie the mice to the security loop on the back of the computer. This has slowed them down a bit but has not been overly successful. Does anyone else out there have any intuitive ways they secure their Peripherals?

Thank Post

I glue the mouse covers so they cant take the balls out... optical mice tend to go missing

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by stephenleak
    We've just had a spate of this. On our older Dell desktops, if you remove the blanking plate for the CD drive (removed), you can reach inside and guess what is in front of you on the motherboard? The RAM chips! However, some wooden blocks from the woodwork shop (I was all for mousetraps, myself) in the drive bay and CCTV seems to be doing the trick - so far - touch wood ...
    I too have just had this problem 3/4gb ram from 6 machines resulted in a £180 bill for new kingston memory!!!! I have now put wood behind the fascia plates and glued new plates in place so when they punch the new plates they break their knuckles on ther wood behind!!! - I wanted 2 inch steel but i was told that that is a bit far!!

Quote Originally Posted by jopijedd
    Its also worth investigating getting some cheap PC based CCTV - we've only invested about £700 in ours and have about eight cameras all streaming to HDD from motion sensitive cameras.
    Can you give some info of what you use to do this as i looked at a proffesional system and when the wuote came to 6k i was told politely to sod off!!

Cheers

Dan

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Another weak point with mice, is when the kids get their fingertips underneath the buttons and PULL. One of our ICT teachers reckons they don't realise they are doing this - that it starts of as a little habbit, flicking the buttons. Yeah right!
    Yep had that too and they also push the buttons in so hard that they snap the plastic and then the button dosent go 'back up'. Im getting through anywhere between 2-5 mice per day and thats only 150 machines!!!!!!

Thank Post

I'm so tempted to try some of these

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbow
    Does anyone else out there have any intuitive ways they secure their Peripherals?
    The uni I went to had all the wires for the peripherals looped through a little padlock.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sinky
    Does anyone else out there have any intuitive ways they secure their Peripherals?
    The uni I went to had all the wires for the peripherals looped through a little padlock.
    Nylon cable ties are cheaper. We use 1 per PC, with the mains, video, mouse and keyboard cables all together. OK, its not 100% (what is?) but it should slow them up enough to be spotted.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sinky
    Nylon cable ties are cheaper. We use 1 per PC, with the mains, video, mouse and keyboard cables all together. OK, its not 100% (what is?) but it should slow them up enough to be spotted.

Thank Post

The damage at my palce was horrific a=mainly because the network team ended up giving up and just left it to get trashed, recently we have had a lot of new stuff and getting ecrerything back to what we feeel is a very high standard and it would appear that since we (staff and the college) have started respecting things, so have the kids.

It got to a point where i came in one morning during a spot check to find 2 kids opening up 5 fire etinguishers over a suite of 30 PC's, the PC's were dead after that and the best bit is the kids got kicked out for a week and then welcomed back, no more said. I can see why the other IT team ended up giving up.

However slowly but surely were getting there. Anyone beat that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast