+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Something has blown in General; Originally Posted by Marci Righty, first off, your AW9D should have a post probe on it which displays 2 digit ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Righty, first off, your AW9D should have a post probe on it which displays 2 digit boot and error codes - does it have anything on the display? If so, give us the error codes.
    If not, take mobo, CPU(+fan) and PSU. Wire up on bench. No ram, no graphics. Turn on via shorting powerpins momentarily with anything metallic. If fan spins up but you don't get any beeps whatsoever / no display on the postprobe, then either bios is corrupt and needs hotflashing, or CPU is dead, or mobo is dead beyond repair.

If you DO get beeps, then all those components are fine. You now need to add ram and graphics and try it again to see if you can get to the POST screen. Only add ram one stick at once, testing each stick individually.

Bios HotFlashing (repairing a corrupt bios chip) -There are several guides around the web for doing this... eg:
    Step-by-Step Tutorial on HotFlashing a Corrupted/Non-Working BIOS Chip - Overclockers Forums
    Tech ARP - Hot Flashing Guide Rev. 2.0
    How to hotflash your bios chip - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
    Failing that, head to bios-repair.co.uk | Flash BIOS Chip Repair | Flash BIOS Chip Replacement and order a replacement preprogrammed chip.

If all else fails, post in the "abit.care" section at Hexus.net's forums, or the "ABIT Information and Support" section at xtremesystems.org's forums and see what advice official Abit reps give.
    Cheers Marci, the post probe displays 9.0. which upon investigation 9.0.
    Complete μGuru initial process AWARDBIOS take over booting job
    which isnt too clear but has made me think bios screwed, but the probibility of getting another mobo with screwed bios seems to slim.

cheers

Thank Post
    Try the following: clear cmos, hold down insert key on keyboard, turn on.
    Otherwise, yep, bios chip is corrupt and needs hotflashing, or a new preprogrammed bios chip from bios-repair.co.uk.

3. Thanks to Marci from:

gibbo_ap (8th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I had a computer do exactly that, turns out I'd forgotten to plug the second motherboard power cable in - the small, four-pin one you sometimes get (is that a 12V connection?).
    I have to admit to doing that before as well, quite concerning till you realise and feel silly.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

gibbo_ap (14th June 2011)

Thank Post
    hold down power button and reset at same time.. turn power off 1st then hold buttons turn on then off after 5 secons.
    then turn on and press the power button.

have same symptoms with my gigabyte some months..

7. Thanks to Cools from:

gibbo_ap (8th June 2011)

Thank Post
    thanks for all the replys folks only had chance to have another mess over the weekend (middle of buying a house). Well after reading what you guys put i tried shorting the power pins (new mobo & psu).... and it worked! (well of a sort didnt have a hdd connected etc but i had post!

but i couldnt leave it at that! i wanted my old mobo and psu in! so i spent an hour rebuilding it and tried the same thing and nothing! so when i have another chance i am going to take it out of the case and do it!

Driving me up the wall atm! i just want my computer for when i move into the new house! need my portal 2 and wanna download duke!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    thanks for all the replys folks only had chance to have another mess over the weekend (middle of buying a house). Well after reading what you guys put i tried shorting the power pins (new mobo & psu).... and it worked! (well of a sort didnt have a hdd connected etc but i had post!

but i couldnt leave it at that! i wanted my old mobo and psu in! so i spent an hour rebuilding it and tried the same thing and nothing! so when i have another chance i am going to take it out of the case and do it!

Driving me up the wall atm! i just want my computer for when i move into the new house! need my portal 2 and wanna download duke!
    Unless there the same MB make sure the power button is connected to the correct Pins .
    Read the MB manual to find out what ones are what and test using a screw driver .
    Looks like i was correct in the Power button being at fault to some extent .
    The one i have here does not turn on at all no matter what power button i use .
    Only way to turn it on is a screw driver for some reason ..

10. Thanks to 2097 from:

Thank Post
    Looking at your first post you've done everything you can to diagnose the fault. I'm afraid you must have made a mistake during those tests and need to go back and do them again.

I did once have a faulty PSU that discretely killed all motherboards I plugged into it! So I had one killer psu a good psu and thanks to psu no.1 2 dead motherboards. Then 3 dead motherboards and a solution.

12. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Replace the case, had one case that was badly grounded or distorted or something and a MB just would not boot in it, replaced the case and it was fine. Cases can be reasonably cheap and it is probably the easiest solution. Bench test it outside the case and if it boots just replace the case.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    Unless there the same MB make sure the power button is connected to the correct Pins .
    Read the MB manual to find out what ones are what and test using a screw driver .
    Looks like i was correct in the Power button being at fault to some extent .
    The one i have here does not turn on at all no matter what power button i use .
    Only way to turn it on is a screw driver for some reason ..
    since putting my orignal equipment in i have not connected the power button (partly as i believe that is partly whats at fault and partly as i cba to spend the time connecting it) i have been using screwdriver/mobo power button. still no joy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Replace the case, had one case that was badly grounded or distorted or something and a MB just would not boot in it, replaced the case and it was fine. Cases can be reasonably cheap and it is probably the easiest solution. Bench test it outside the case and if it boots just replace the case.
    but i love my case lol

i am going to bench test it outside of the case soon (work, gf and house buying take up soooo much time) i really dont want it to be the case. but if it is Que Sera, Sera.

Thank Post
    thank you all for your help and advice hopefully soon i will have a working computer (and a house) and can get back to making some money (websites) so i can have me an ipad for the living room and kitchen....... although the missus will prob want me to spend the money on something constructive ..... like a rug

again thank you all!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12