+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Rep? in General; IIRC (and ZH can correct) "thanks" give a set amount of rep no matter what your Rep Power is and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC (and ZH can correct) "thanks" give a set amount of rep no matter what your Rep Power is and is a fair way of those with a lot of Rep Power giving a thumbs up without favouring one member over another. It is also a very public show of support.

However, those who have built up Rep Power over the years can give more rep (+/-) to others because they are deemed 'more deserving' ... not by the admins or mods ... but by the general membership themselves. A person can only give a *huge* chunk of rep (+/-) because they have been given it themselves by others.

In other forums I use, members will use thanks more than anything else, to keep it fair and to be public in praise, and keep the full blown Rep adding / subtracting for special occasions. It generally work out right and is an unspoken agreement.

2. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

mac_shinobi (7th June 2011), Rawns (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    IIRC (and ZH can correct) "thanks" give a set amount of rep no matter what your Rep Power is and is a fair way of those with a lot of Rep Power giving a thumbs up without favouring one member over another. It is also a very public show of support.

However, those who have built up Rep Power over the years can give more rep (+/-) to others because they are deemed 'more deserving' ... not by the admins or mods ... but by the general membership themselves. A person can only give a *huge* chunk of rep (+/-) because they have been given it themselves by others.

In other forums I use, members will use thanks more than anything else, to keep it fair and to be public in praise, and keep the full blown Rep adding / subtracting for special occasions. It generally work out right and is an unspoken agreement.
    Have a thanks for answering my question

Simples..... when you know how..... tsk

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post

Sounds about right... and if you've had +ve rep from me in the past you should know, cos I always put my posting name in the comment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Blog Entries
    basically for every 100rep power you have, you can give +4 rep to a person if you rep them when they have 0rep..I can rep a person with no rep and get them 8rep right off the bat...if I were to neg rep, I could do the same...however, the higher the rep the person has, the less they recieve / get deducted via the add/remove rep functions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Sounds about right... and if you've had +ve rep from me in the past you should know, cos I always put my posting name in the comment.
    Yes I normally do the same, add my name in the comment if I want them to know who it was from.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Yep, I try to put GD in mine ... even with -rep ... or I will follow up -rep with a PM. If you disagree with someone, at least tell them. There are times you can't do it in the thread as it sparks of arguments so PM works fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what annoys me is the anonymous neg reppers...just add your name, not too hard is it?!

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

tech_guy (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Fairly normal around here.
    LOL is it?

mb2k01: No as we use an addon that specifies the amount of rep points you get per thank to prevent mass flooding of points. If you got the rep power value people would sky rocket quickly and it would defeat the purpose. If someone goes out of the way to help then use the rep button but otherwise thanks is fine. Thanks has no *spread* requirement as it were so you can thank the same person more then once without having to thank 15 others.

Edit: Wow thread refresh fail, I have not caught up with replies posted while I was writing this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    what annoys me is the anonymous neg reppers...just add your name, not too hard is it?!
    That's extremely irritating when the comment is something like "Goober", really constructive!

I've actually had that one by the way, and I still don't know what a goober is...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    That's extremely irritating when the comment is something like "Goober", really constructive!

I've actually had that one by the way, and I still don't know what a goober is...
    Only thing I know of is 'Goofy Goober' from Spongebob. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkXe_gnfj4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grumbledook is basically correct.

Neg rep sucks when you get it but remember it doesnt slap you too hard usually. If you get too abusive comments post in the "Message the Admins" forum and we can always see who gave what and why.
    As localzuk said, we hide the names to prevent rep wars as I have seen on many forums before. Those that leave nasty comments should remember its all logged and abuse is not tolerated, but fundamentally leaving neg rep without a reason/weak reason will not get removed, its the person giving the neg rep to decide.
    Also remember if you give neg rep and want to remove it from the person later you too can get in contact and I will remove the mark.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

goober is an american word to the best of my knowledge, similar to words like doofus, idiot, numbnuts, etc.

15. Thanks to MK-2 from:

LosOjos (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    goober is an american word to the best of my knowledge, similar to words like doofus, idiot, numbnuts, etc.
    Well apparently that's the response you get from certain people when you try to point out anything negative about a certain fruit-based company!

Steve Jobs, are you lurking?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    about a certain fruit-based company!
    Orange? Blackberry? Come on you goober give me a clue.......

oh damn, my cover is blown

18. Thanks to MK-2 from:

LosOjos (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well apparently that's the response you get from certain people when you try to point out anything negative about a certain fruit-based company!

Steve Jobs, are you lurking?
    Or you get -rep when trying to say anything *positive* about a certain fruit-based company too ... I wonder what happens if we say nothing at all?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast