+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is this fair??... Is the country going to the dogs?........ in General; Drink Driver smashes into my car! Police know who she is, and arrested her on the spot for also smashing ...
    Thank Post

Is this fair??... Is the country going to the dogs?........

Drink Driver smashes into my car! Police know who she is, and arrested her on the spot for also smashing into a police car on her drunken journey. Procecussion does not cover damage repairs on my car as that is what my car insurance is aparantley for. So I pay a higher premium for car insurance because of this drunk women, who will get a slap on the wrist and carry on drinking and driving using tax payers money. Is this fair?...... Will the government pay for repairs on the police car?......

Can anbody give any serious advice as to what action to take if any is available?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    So did she not have her own insurance or was it invalidated by her drunkeness?
    This happened to my mum and her insurance company said that as long as they got details from the police about the driver they wouldnt increase her premiums and they would pursue the driver themselves.
    Other than that, maybe one of those free half-hours with a solicitor might be worth a go?
    Last edited by witch; 6th June 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you take her to a small claims court. The evidence is clearly stacked against her...

Thank Post
    Have you contacted your insurance company or are you going on what the police have told you? There's a fund available for victims of accidents with uninsured drivers, so surely if she wasn't insured you still wouldn't have 'use' your insurance cover.

Sadly the police seem to give the accused far more support these days than the victim.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post

Sadly the police seem to give the accused far more support these days than the victim.
    That's not very fair - they arrested her and she was prosecuted for what she did - they don't have a responsibility to sort out insurance claims!
    The fund available is only for cases where there is injury as far as I know

Thank Post
    Unfortunately even if you don't have to claim on your insurance you will end up paying more for the next 5 years as they always ask "have you been involved in an accident, whether it is your fault or not, within the last 5 years".

Sucks.

Just contact your insurance, see what they say. My sister is just going through one atm where a woman crashed into her, her husbands friends brothers tyre fitters "repaired" my sisters car but it was left in a dangerous condition, phoned insurance and they sorted the rest.
    She is probably going to have to be a witness in court as the woman has suddenly became a man if you get what I mean. So to me it sounds like she never had insurance in the first place.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 6th June 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Thank Post
    If she was drunk, then there is a case for compensation for criminal damage, but you'll have to pursue this yourself. If you have legal cover on your car insurance/house insurance, you can see if they pursue her or her insurance company for compensation. If you don't have legal cover, you can either see if a solicitor will take it on, preferably on a 'no win no fee' case, or take her to small claims court yourself but you are then limited to a maximum of a 1500 claim.
    It shouldn't affect your insurance no claims discount though as the accident wasn't your fault and you shouldn't have to pay any excess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    She is probably going to have to be a witness in court as the woman has suddenly became a man if you get what I mean. So to me it sounds like she never had insurance in the first place.
    Ahhh, they've been taking tips from a certain member of parliament

Thank Post
    If I took her to court, she probably wouldn't turn up! I really don't know what to do! I think I have legal cover with my insurance, I will try them.

Thank Post
    I don't think you have the same problem as us with car insurance up in Dorset, My car insurance is 1,100 for the year and my excess is 1,250. If I wanted a policy with less excess, the next one up would have been 2,500. The quote I have for repairs is 1,350.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    So I pay a higher premium for car insurance because of this drunk women
    Sorry, I don't understand this bit - why will you pay more? You won't lose your no claims bonus if you're not at fault.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    If I took her to court, she probably wouldn't turn up! I really don't know what to do! I think I have legal cover with my insurance, I will try them.
    She doesn't have to turn up at court for a judgement to be made against her. Otherwise, the courts would be useless as accused people simply wouldn't turn up. Speak to a solicitor, that's your best route on this.

Thank Post
    @Witch Might sound like a sweeping statement, but the only times we've had dealings with the police, we've noticed a definate lack of support for us and 'bending over backwards' to help the accused. It's made me very cynical regarding our 'wondeful' police force.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    @Witch Might sound like a sweeping statement, but the only times we've had dealings with the police, we've noticed a definate lack of support for us and 'bending over backwards' to help the accused. It's made me very cynical regarding our 'wondeful' police force.
    My point really was that the police arrested her for the offence as was right and proper - and it isn't anything to do with them as to whether she was punished or how - that's the justice system and the CPS rather than the police.
    I'm sorry you have had issues with the police - obviously one's feelings are coloured by personal experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand this bit - why will you pay more? You won't lose your no claims bonus if you're not at fault.
    You might if the third party was uninsured and your insurer has to pay out rather than recovering it from them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast