+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Camera advice for taking to Tanzania in General; Originally Posted by tom_newton Alternatively, the canon 55-250 is great on a budget to buy. Yep... I've got one of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Alternatively, the canon 55-250 is great on a budget to buy.
    Yep... I've got one of these and it's great!
    Bought it when I went out and did a tour around Nevada, Utah and such... got some great shots!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    At the moment I am torn between getting an SLR PENTAX K-r Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm Zoom Lens & 50-200mm Zoom Lens at cheap prices | PC World this one as it has to larger lens as part of the price. Or an ultrazoom Panasonic Lumix FZ100 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I want it to be a good camera outside of my holiday so I dont want to spend 400 on something that will be great for my three weeks int eh summer but not so good back home. Been toying for four days now
    A couple of good options here.

Pentax is a good camera, will offer you future upgradeability and better image quality. Trade off is a bit more weight and you'll need to be super careful changing lenses "in the field" as dust can be a camera killer and will almost certainly spoil your pics if it gets in there. Sand will be even worse for moving parts!!

Panasonic has a good Optical Zoom on it. Optical is the key. Digital, despite Killi's experiences which I'm not questioning, does throw away pixels as it effectively crops the image. it didn't get great reviews in low light, but where you are going will be fine.

My advice would be if you like those two models, ask yourself, how will you use the camera when you get back. If you don't mind lugging round a dslr and lenses ad think you might get into photography, go pentax. If you are more likley to want to throw a camera in a bag and pull it out occasionally, th ePanasonic is more than up to the task and a 25x optical zoom is a lot more zoom for the money than you'll get for the SLR route and your budget.

most importantly, lets see some pics when you get back!!

3. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

HMCTech (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for the Panasonic Lumix range - fabulous lenses. Basically a Leica in a Panasonic case.

Have you considered a 500mm mirror lens? You can get one of these in an M42 screw fit for peanuts. Well, not much more than 100 or so. Get an adapter for your SLR (I use an M42 to EOS adapter). You'll loose autofocus, but with a fixed f8 everything will be in focus anyway. Set your camera to aperture priority to match the lens and you're in business. Just a thought....

Thank Post
    I would recommend the beanbag if you are getting a camera with a long zoom. They are the simplest way to support the camera if you are in a vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WWS-Camera-Dou...item2eaca3518c

They are really simple to make.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 7th June 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't go the mirror lens route myself - manual focussing all the way is a PITA (I like my FTM lenses where I can tweak manually, tho in the bright equatorial light I find picking an AF point enough 99.9% of the time). To get good looking shots you'll want to be at a fairly wide apeture to give the blurry background look. If your lens has IS, you probably won't need a beanbag again, partly thanks to the good light. I handheld a ton of shots at 400mm. Get your driver to turn the engine off if you can tho. Also if you are in a matatu-style safari bus, you wont get much option to rest on stuff.

It really comes down to how keen you are on the photography side. I'm lucky, I have family in Nairobi, so I got to rectify the "mistake" of taking a compact on my first safari, but for others this will be their one chance. I got hooked on safari photography, hence making some investment in kit. I guess I should use it more in the UK really

Thank Post
    I took a small Sony compact 100 job to Egypt with me in April and when I got back I was soo dissapointed in the images I wanted to cry!

I have Kenya & Tanzania this summer then next year I have China and New Zealand so I am heading towards getting something that will be great for all my holidays moving forward rather than just specifically a safari holiday.

Thank Post
    There's loads of info. here about wildlife photography and the best gear. SANParks.org Forums

Thank Post
    Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear is a good place to look - apparently the Canon 1000D can be had with the regular 18-55 kit lens plus a 75-300 for just north of 500 quid. Interesting. No indication of the 75-300 being IS, which i'd class as a "nice to have" but not essential for handholding in bright african sun. If I get chance i'll do a bit more looking when I get home.. now.. back to er... posting about web filtering, yes, that's it

Thank Post
    A friend loaned me his Canon SLR with a 55-200mm lens this evening and I took it around the local lakes. While the pictures are amazing the lens hardly got close to rabbits or cows 20 meters away. I would have to get a 300mm lens for it to be any good and I cannot afford that as any deals I found for body and lens were 650+. So it was a good excersise to prove that SLR is not the way to go and I ordered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 24x optical zoom. Should arrive Thursday.

Thank Post
    Who needs a long lens when you're this close to the action!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12