+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, DIY - Half plastered, half papered with section missing in General; I've just had my bathroom done, badically one of the walls had tiles on which we didnt want replacing. We ...

Thank Post

DIY - Half plastered, half papered with section missing

I've just had my bathroom done, badically one of the walls had tiles on which we didnt want replacing. We had them removed and the section of the walls where the tiles were plastered.

So we now have a wall half plastered and half papered. Secondly the clever genius who lived her before us papered around the bathroom cupboard, so we also have an A3 size whole in the wallpaper.

Im trying to think how best to deal with this as I dont want to risk taking the paper off and taking some of the new plaster with it.

So do i:

1. Fill the A3 patch with lining paper and fill the gaps and paint over with some decent paint a few times?

2. Get the paper off, carefully, and sand down edges of the new plaster?

3. Another idea????

Thank Post
    getting the paper off can be difficult and you may find that the plaster behind will come off as you remove the paper. You may be better to get rid of the paper totally and then get the plasterers to skim the rest of the wals and make it all flush.

If you do fill and paint use a thick paint for the first coat to cover the marks. I have use exterior paint before as a base coat

Thank Post
    Nrrrrggh... I think that unless you want to get the rest plastered to match (thought not, but probably the best answer) I'd patch the paper, then paper over the whole lot in really thick lining paper. I think though, you'll still see the lines. I lost some of the surface coat on my ceiling, and can still see the lines through paper and two coats of paint.

Thank Post
    I was thinking of patching the hole, then filling the joins once they'd dried. I could then sand the filler down. I've already got some 'thick' heavy duty emulsion for the walls so I might give it a try.

I think some of this might be trial and error, might just be easier to buy a nice picture to put on the wall in it place lol

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    If the paper is sound, tidy up as best you can and line with some 2000 grade lining paper. Then either paint or paper over it.

Thank Post
    We put up mermaid panels Mermaid - The ultimate waterproof wall panel system around the showers and found a cheaper version that was a close match, that we put around the walls, straight on top of the tiles. It wasn't the cheapest solution but they are a doddle to keep clean and there was little preparation or mess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    We put up mermaid panels Mermaid - The ultimate waterproof wall panel system around the showers and found a cheaper version that was a close match, that we put around the walls, straight on top of the tiles. It wasn't the cheapest solution but they are a doddle to keep clean and there was little preparation or mess.
    What sort of prices are these? I need something for my shower when I fit it.

Thank Post
    What sort of prices are these? I need something for my shower when I fit it
    I can't find the receipt. They aren't cheap but much quicker to fit than tiles and easier to maintain.

Thank Post
    There are a few of these types of product around. Some are really expensive. I have time to look around as I tore the ligaments in my back... again... so waiting for them to heal before I put in the shower etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    3. Another idea????
    As it's a bathroom, you could always patch it with the paint and paper method and then screw a mirror to the wall to conceal the patch if need be.

Thank Post
    I've actually opted to do none of the above, I painted the edges of the wallpaper 'hole' then waited 24 hours. I then sanded down the edges using both a coarse and fine sandpaper. The edges of the paper have blended quite nicely with an additional 2 layers of emulsion on top and a final coat with a dulux bathroom paint (matt).

Pretty pleased with the result, considering it was much effort.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I was going to say use a steamer to get the paper off and go from there but looks like you've already sorted it out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread