+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2nd Hand Car Purchase - Advice Needed in General; ...
    Thank Post

2nd Hand Car Purchase - Advice Needed

Hi there,

I want to buy my nephew a 2nd car (My sister is a single parent and skint) as he passed his test just over a year ago and can only get little spells in her car.

This is where you kind and gentle souls come in. I have around £800 and want to get him something like a Corsa. ie: something cheap to insusure and not the most expensive to get parts for/get repaired.

WOuld you say that a Corsa would be a good choice for cheap and cheerful or would you advise me to be looking at something else?

Thanks in antisipation.

Thank Post
    Not looked into it, but common wisdom indicates that a Corsa may not be cheap to insure in this case. Lots of kids crash them = £ching! You may do better looking at a larger, less popular, less chav-tastic vehicle.

3. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

bodminman (29th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this.

Vectra's have a decent MPG. Would a 19 year old get hammered on one of them or am I best looking at a Micra or something?

Thank Post
    Having just been through this with my 18 year old lad I would say avoid Corsa as a lot of youngsters seem to thrash em and crash em. I think a Vectra would be high too.

Best bet is to look for group 1 or 2 cars. A list of group 1 can be found here:
    Car Insurance Group 1 | Quotes and UK Insurance Groups

People tell me the Ford Ka is quite good too insurance wise.

6. Thanks to jcollings from:

rad
    Thank Post
    as a guy my first car was a KA, great cars but has a girly appeal, if he is not fussed, id recommend one.

8. Thanks to rad from:

Thank Post
    I'm 20 now but got my Ford Ka when I was 19. It cost me £1700 a year to insure 3rd party fire and theft with me as main driver and my parents on as named drivers.

Had it just over a year now, quite a nice little car - quite responsive at low speeds with just me in it and can get about 39-49mpg out of it.

10. Thanks to BTCC_Fan from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCC_Fan View Post
    I'm 20 now but got my Ford Ka when I was 19. It cost me £1700 a year to insure 3rd party fire and theft with me as main driver and my parents on as named drivers.

Had it just over a year now, quite a nice little car - quite responsive at low speeds with just me in it and can get about 39-49mpg out of it.
    Thanks.

He will mainly be using it for his commute to work which is exactly 10miles via very quiet country lanes or 14 miles via the main road route. He currently goes via the country lanes on his push bike which is knackering him out and I don't want him doing this during the winter months.

Thank Post
    Should cope nicely with that route, as once its up to speed its great, especially since handling ain't too bad either.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's knackered after cycling ten miles there and back again at his age? Jeez. Tell him to stop eating burgers. Seriously though, what about something basic like a Punto?
    Last edited by tech_guy; 29th May 2011 at 09:54 PM.

14. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    He's knackered after cycling ten miles there and back again at his age? Jeez. Tell him to stop eating burgers. Seriously though, what about something basic like a Punto?
    LOL - The poor bugger has alot going on at the moment and I'm hoping getting him a car will help. He's working and studying and and the cycling isn't the easiest route TBH. He's a good lad and doesn't moan about anything!

I thought about a Punto but am not sure what the cost of parts etc would be should we need them.

Thank Post
    1.25 mk4/5 fiesta will be nice if u can get a gd spec. I got a 1999 T reg 1.25 LX. Has most of the mod cons (front heated window, air con which works, central locking.

I got mine for £300. Insurance should be low.

17. Thanks to newpersn from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Although not cheap on parts with it being a nissan - I've got a nissan almera 1.4 it has taken a lot of abuse ( the same as my honda civic 1.4 ) the nissan has worked out cheaper on insurance, think you can get a nissan micra but obviously depending on age, milage etc will determine the price.

Think the best bet would to keep an open mind with regards to manufacturer but limit the engine size between 1 litre to 1.4 at the very most and get quotes for different cars by getting example reg plates from auto trader ( most of the time from photos ) just so you can get an idea on insurance costs. I used confused.com and went through a bunch of different cars just to see which would be the cheaper, once I had established 2 or 3 that were a reasonable price on insurance I then narrowed it down from there with regards to which car(s) I went with as far as going to look at them ( the photos for the most part are deceiving as I found out ) and all the cars Ive ended up with have been nearer to home.

19. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Not looked into it, but common wisdom indicates that a Corsa may not be cheap to insure in this case. Lots of kids crash them = £ching! You may do better looking at a larger, less popular, less chav-tastic vehicle.
    Agreed you have to look for the least chav cars - insurance group isn't everything. But that considered the corsa is surprisingly cheap to insure.
    Have you looked at the black box insurance for him? Basically you get a tracker fitted and certain rules applied to your policy such as "can't drive after 11 at night" and "can only drive 6000miles/year", but iirc if you do need to use it at night you pay £25 for that night.

I don't know if it will be the same in his case but for me a vectra is almost as much to insure as my MR2

Thank Post
    actually I got a quote the other day (I'm 23 and haven't passed my test yet due to high insurance) I was getting a quote to see how much it is these days and Volvo's came out the cheapest (for me anyway) namely the S40, but then It's Automatic, 1.8L and I Cant see a chav flinging it round a corner or putting a bore exhaust on one.

22. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

tech_guy (30th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    actually I got a quote the other day (I'm 23 and haven't passed my test yet due to high insurance) I was getting a quote to see how much it is these days and Volvo's came out the cheapest (for me anyway) namely the S40, but then It's Automatic, 1.8L and I Cant see a chav flinging it round a corner or putting a bore exhaust on one.
    Personally id never buy an automatic, if the gearbox goes they're ruddy expensive

Was the manual version the same ref insurance?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast