+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2nd Hand Car Purchase - Advice Needed in General; I didnt try the manual version to be honest, it'll be worth a try - I suppose it still should ...
    Thank Post
    I didnt try the manual version to be honest, it'll be worth a try - I suppose it still should be cheap it's not like you see boy racers in Volvo's............. Might have a look at a quote for the old 240 2.3 Litre lolol

PS - the 'S' Plated and below versions of the S40 are really expensive on insurance (for me anyway) but the newer models and the saloon model was way cheaper I think it was a 'V' and an '02' Plate I tried.

2. 2 Thanks to cpjitservices:

bodminman (30th May 2011), tech_guy (30th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Peugeot 106s do well - both my sons had one. Or a Renault Clio. they are not boy racer cars and so the insurance is correspondingly lower.
    The cheapest insurance we found was Elephant - my son put every one he could think of on it and it came right down. It is the coop who do the tracker thing look at driving skills and insure accordingly

4. Thanks to witch from:

bodminman (30th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Peugeot 106s do well - both my sons had one. Or a Renault Clio. they are not boy racer cars and so the insurance is correspondingly lower.
    The cheapest insurance we found was Elephant - my son put every one he could think of on it and it came right down. It is the coop who do the tracker thing look at driving skills and insure accordingly
    Well that's the thing, everyone is different depending on who you are and where you live. Both them cars are most definitely considered boy racer cars around here, in fact 5-10 years ago only the Saxo could have been considered more boy racer than those 2. One of my mates had a Clio 1.4 RT around 10 years ago, his insurance was £2500! His next car was a 1.1 106 to try and lower the insurance a bit, iirc it was around £1600. His next car was a Saxo VTR... see the pattern?

My recommendation would be to get his details and look at each car for yourself as it really doesn't matter what any of us think as we will all be different, it only matters what the insurance company thinks.

6. Thanks to j17sparky from:

bodminman (31st May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Well that's the thing, everyone is different depending on who you are and where you live. Both them cars are most definitely considered boy racer cars around here, in fact 5-10 years ago only the Saxo could have been considered more boy racer than those 2. One of my mates had a Clio 1.4 RT around 10 years ago, his insurance was £2500! His next car was a 1.1 106 to try and lower the insurance a bit, iirc it was around £1600. His next car was a Saxo VTR... see the pattern?

My recommendation would be to get his details and look at each car for yourself as it really doesn't matter what any of us think as we will all be different, it only matters what the insurance company thinks.
    Wow - I didn't realise things varied so much around the country. Here, you don't buy a fiesta or an astra, corsas are a bit dodgy and loads of kids have puntos and polos so the insurance is high.
    I think we could say that a Ford Ka is probably fairly low insurance wherever you are, dont you think?

Thank Post
    The ford Ka is an awesome little car, I had an insurance quote (Last year before it went up) of 800 quid, fully comp and that my friends is a good quote for me, and I wreckon if our lass had gotten a license even a provisional with her down as named driver it could have come down a bit, and I also hadnt selected Pass plus which takes off %30 of the cost of insurance

Also take note people - I have noticed that on my Insurance quotes that fully comp is cheaper, going 3rd party, fire & theft always seems be about 400 quid dearer on any quote.

9. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post

Totally agree with everyone being different - hence in one of my posts above or on the previous page(s) I suggested to keep an open mind ref makes of car aside from obviously staying within a small engine size ( 1 litre to 1.4 ) and getting quotes using something like confused.com / comparethemarket.com and seeing which works out better to allow you to narrow it down to a few cars and then decide from there.

As an example we used to live about 5 miles away from where I am now and before moving car insurance was cheaper and because it was the last 2 months the insurance for both of us jumped up for those 2 months and we now pay slightly more on car insurance due to the area which Im gutted about because its not like me or the missus have expensive cars in anyway shape or form

I've got a 1999 Nissan Almera 1.4 and the better half has a pug 306 petrol 1997 1.6, Obviously the 1.6 falls in the larger engine category so tax is more.

So not like I have got finance on a brand new car or have a sports car with anything larger then a 2 litre engine with a load of emissions

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    It's definately worth looking for something less popular. When I was younger the Corsa's were cheap to insure, because Fiesta's had previously been very popular with younger drivers. Obviously now because the Corsa was cheap to insure, it became popular with young drivers so the price went up.

When I was 19 I got a 2.0 litre Hyunday Coupe which is about a group 11 in insurance I think, this was almost half the price to insure compared with the 1.3 hyundai accent I had previously! I think its just a case of keep running quotes on various cars until you find one that not many young people have crashed yet! Avoid anything with the word turbo in it - even a small diesel turbo engine seems to double the insurace price!

Steve

13. Thanks to steveg from:

Thank Post
    mk2 golf or polo 1 or 1.2 ltr, cheap as chips to run parts are very cheap

15. Thanks to kevbaz from:

Thank Post
    get something over 15 years old and put it on a classic limited mileage policy with someone like HIC

17. Thanks to Chris_in_notts from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My first was a Suzuki Swift - an old one, but never had any problems with maintenance or running and it was relatively cheap to insure (right up until someone rear-ended the car and shrank it by six inches, but I can hardly blame the insurers or Suzuki for that).

Nice and efficient too, which is getting more important. Small engine size makes them cheap to insure and run.

19. Thanks to jamesb from:

Thank Post
    I'd recommend a small engined KA or Fiesta. I've owned both (currently fiesta) and have only been driving for 2 years. The insurance on the KA is much lower being only insurance group 1, and the fiesta group 9. Still, the insurance isn't bad at around 800 quid. Parts are very cheap and easy to get hold of.

If you're still looking at the end of June, I'll be selling my Fiesta for around the guide price in the OP.

EDIT: Its a MK4 fiesta.
    Last edited by Chris-W-; 31st May 2011 at 09:59 AM.

21. Thanks to Chris-W- from:

Thank Post
    When we were looking for first cars for our sons, we didn't go for standard small, starter cars, we looked at something a bit more substanstial. No 1 had a megane scenic, no 2 an astra. Both cars had double air bags and enough oomp to pull away from a junction safely!

23. Thanks to chrbb from:

Thank Post
    How about a 1.6 Zetec Focus, around 2002 reg? Cheap as chips now, parts common as house bricks and the car's solid and still looks good

25. Thanks to gshaw from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    How about a 1.6 Zetec Focus, around 2002 reg? Cheap as chips now, parts common as house bricks and the car's solid and still looks good
    Would love to but would cost a wee bit more than my £800 budget. Unless you know something I don't! Well, do you!?!?!

Thank Post
    I reckon you might just be able to get one for £800 but it'll be a high-miler so some element of risk there I guess

Edit: it'll be a MK1 for that money, not much difference between the original and facelift tbh so wouldn't worry about that side of things
    Last edited by gshaw; 31st May 2011 at 02:09 PM.

28. Thanks to gshaw from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast