+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Ever relocate for your job? (IT Tech) in General; Hey guys and gals. Well after these two threads and experiences... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/genera...an-advice.html http://www.edugeek.net/forums/genera...echnician.html ...I am looking farther afield. I now ...

Thank Post

Ever relocate for your job? (IT Tech)

Hey guys and gals.

Well after these two threads and experiences...

ICT Technician advice.

Assessment Task for new IT Technician

...I am looking farther afield.

I now have less then 2 months to go until my contract is up, still no real chance of it getting extended. So myself and the Mrs have decided to leave Bristol as there are little in the way of School job oppurtunities here.

I have applied to a few jobs in, Stroud, Swansea, 2X Swindon and Birmingham. We want to keep to the south if possible!

I look at it as a career move even though I am only after a lowly Tech position. What are your experiences with moving away from your hometown? Was it worth it?

How do interviewers look at prospective employees who are willing to relocate? Would it be favourable? (It shows commitment?) I am worried that if I did get a job but couldnt find a new place in 4 weeks I would be stuck!

Cheers!

Rob.
    Last edited by Asomodai; 26th May 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Thank Post
    I moved away from Yorkshire in 1999. The job opportunities in IT were rubbish compared to the North West. Not to mention the road infrastructure and the general vibe of a new city.

I got a job straight away at TIME, and a better management job a couple of months later.

My tip though would be to get an address in the new area before you apply for any jobs, some employers might not take a risk on someone who hasn't yet made a move.

Or you could stay in Bristol and buy a speed boat for the commute to Swansea. How fun would THAT be!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

My tip though would be to get an address in the new area before you apply for any jobs, some employers might not take a risk on someone who hasn't yet made a move.
    I cant move anywhere until I have job there! Thats the point, i'll be moving specifically for a job. I cant just up and move to Swindon just because there are two jobs going in Swindon!

I am sure I can find a place with 4 weeks notice.

Thank Post
    I've not personally relocated for a job, though have considered it on a number of occasions prior to being a dad and all that jazz ..

In terms of the house thing though, I think if you check out the rental market (I don't know if you rent or are planning to sell/buy but ...) and make sure you can find even a small flat to suit you needs initially from there you can then look for a bigger place, but if you have a few ideas up your sleeve in an area you're applying to, then you can always go along to the job with the "I'm willing to move for the right job and this is the right job for me" attitude but also armed with information about where you plan to be able to move to ..

I know what Gibbo is on about with the employer maybe not wanting to take the risk, but if thats the case they probably wouldn't ask you to interview, but if you can put in your covering letter that you are planning to move into the area and are currently looking at houses but have a few rental properties you know you could move into then that shows willing and commitment. I know back when I was a manager for a national charity, I was looking for a new Admin person, we'd used temps to fill a role but the role then became properly vacant so we advertised. We were based in Manchester and the best person for the job was based in Birmingham but was looking to move up to the area anyway, so given she showed us she had somewhere she could stay in the area until she found herself somewhere, she got the job. Had she not shown that though then we would of had to consider other options. Ultimately, it depends on the employer though with that.

Good luck with it all anyway ..

Thank Post
    If you move to Swindon there's a few of us on here so happy to give advice.

6. Thanks to sippo from:

Fatmas (3rd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    If you move to Swindon there's a few of us on here so happy to give advice.
    Any of you work at or know much about St joseph's or Churchfields? (Though I doubt i'll get even an interview on that one!)

Thank Post
    many moons ago, I relocated from Swindon to London to work at Tottenham College. Worked out fine as I was renting and no family to drag with me. In 1999, relocated from London back to Swindon with a relocation package from my new employer (though spent a short while commuting from Uxbridge to Swindon while the house purchase went through). 2 and a bit years later found myself on a contract then permanent role near Heathrow and spent 8 years up and down the M4. Firmly in Swindon now and no intention of commuting or relocating again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asomodai View Post
    Any of you work at or know much about St joseph's or Churchfields? (Though I doubt i'll get even an interview on that one!)
    both town centrish with lots of accommodation options nearby. Potential for walk or cycle if that's of interest.

St Joe's is a Catholic School nice big fencing around it; new build from selling land (had been a two site school). Next door to a big Tesco.

Churchfield's has a difficult catchment area but does OK as far as I know. Opposite New College if you hanker for some evening/weekend classes, cheapish gym.

Local paper is the Swindon Advertiser :

News and features about life, celebrities, beauty and so much more, from the Swindon Advertiser

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i moved a short distance for this latest job. glasgow to sydney ;p

Thank Post
    I moved 50 miles for this job but I had no house or family to consider at the time.

Thank Post
    Well I have a Fiance and cats, I have no other responsibilities, I would be looking for a rental flat/house.

Thank Post
    I've done it a few times over the last 20-odd years Rugby to Sheffield to Hull to Cleethorpes to Northampton

Its OK but can be a wrench if you're used to having your bunch of mates or family around you.

Thank Post
    St Joe's and Churchfields both have difficult catchment area's. St Joes kids can be a nightmare apparently.

I know St Joes is an RM site.

Thank Post
    Well I have a Fiance and cats, I have no other responsibilities, I would be looking for a rental flat/house.
    If you do get a job, drop me a PM as I may know someone who has a nice 2 bed apartment to let.

Thank Post
    I cant move anywhere until I have job there! Thats the point, i'll be moving specifically for a job. I cant just up and move to Swindon just because there are two jobs going in Swindon!
    The point I was making was do you know anyone in the area who's address you could use?

Then when you get an interview you could say that you're staying there temporary until you find a place of your own.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast