+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Building a PC. in General; ...
    Thank Post

Building a PC.

I wanna start to build a computer over the summer holidays. B

i've starting to get back in to my gaming and my last computer was a Intel C2Q @ 2.4,

I haven't got that much to spend. but ideas needed? Looking around the £600 mark.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    It might be worth having a dig around the OcUK forums general hardware section;

General Hardware - Overclockers UK Forums

There's often a spec me a pc for £xxx on there.

3. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

newpersn (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you. Will post up a topic on there at some point today.

Thank Post
    A few links:

ebuyer.com
    bigpockets.co.uk
    komplett.co.uk

Thank Post
    I've an old quad core 6600 4 meg ram and an nvidia 460gtx (from Ebuyer 108+vat) Its runs crysis on max res OK also Flight Sim X ... Make sure you power supply is rated at least 500watts though So it seems that if you put your money into the graphics side of things you can get a decent rig ... Novatech do a good range of barebones PC's ... Just add a hard drive and graphics board.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    im running an older Intel Q6600, 6GB Ram and a Nvidia 8600GTX and i can run call of duty: black ops at full res/detail levels with good frame rates 45fps+

definatly make sure, as mentioned, you get a 500Watt+ PSU, and make sure the case has decent cooling, the antec 900 case is avaliable for a reasonable price now, id go for that if i did a rebuild of my home system

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Thank you. Will post up a topic on there at some point today.
    If you're posting on OcUK make sure you read and understand the rules regarding mentioning OcUK's competitors.

Thank Post
    If you buy good quality base kit it'll last you for this PC and beyond...

- PSU, 500W or over from a quality brand (Corsair, OCZ etc), note the current rating on the 12v rail as cheapie PSUs don't supply enough for fast graphics cards. Modular is nice if you like to keep everything OCD-tidy inside.
    - case, something with good airflow will help... another vote for the Antec 900 here... quality case and pretty quiet as well

I'll need a new rig soon for Battlefield 3, my current E8400 \ 8800GT runs current stuff fine but the new breed of games will most likely need a faster CPU (probably i5 for me) and then an upgrade to something like a 560Ti and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Would also recommend an SSD for your main system drive (80 \ 120GB is plenty) then use SATA HDs for your data and large program storage like Steam, once you go SSD you'll never go back to an HD for your OS!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would highly recommend this case bundle, a great CM 690 Coolmaster case and 650W Coolmaster PSU, for £100 your getting a great case, loads of room to have your cables tidy around the back, brilliant cooling (the top front and bottom are all mesh with removable filters on) there are also rubber coated holes for water cooling systems and mounting for Lots of fans! Im only using the stock 120mm blue fan on the front and 80mm fan on the back without any issues

Oh if your not a fan of the blue LED fan on the front, the button up top toggles the LED's on/off

Coolermaster CM690 II Lite with Coolermaster GX 650W.. | Ebuyer.com

CM 690 II Advanced - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

I'll be updating my build soon, currently fairly gaming budget PC and the graphics card is from my old build (the most outaged bit of kit)

Coolermaster CM690 II with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU,AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3, 9800GT 1GB, Asus M4A87TD/USB3 870 Socket AM3 , 2TB Samasung 7200RPM HDDs & Ikea flat pack desk area.

As for tidy inside I get bored about half way and kinda shove them in a little.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 25th May 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Aria PC are a good bet, as already mentioned. Their pre-overclocked i3 bundle is a steal at the moment on their super specials. It has also had great reviews, and my technician used it for a system build for a friend and said it absolutely flew.

I specced up a gaming rig using that as the starting point for about £600. Not bad for something that'll match an i7 in everyday use and gaming scenarios!

Thank Post
    Wow. I like the case. Given me some ideas now.

Would like to build up at i5 or i7 2nd gen. But been reading about the problems with the chipsets and its but me off them. (someone talk me though it and recommend me a good motherboard)

Thank Post
    I've got a Corsair 650D case recently, absolute dream to work with and I've got all the cables routed round the back to improve airflow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Wow. I like the case. Given me some ideas now.

Would like to build up at i5 or i7 2nd gen. But been reading about the problems with the chipsets and its but me off them. (someone talk me though it and recommend me a good motherboard)
    Problems with the chipsets have been resolved, make sure to buy a motherboard with a B3 revision if purchasing a 1155 socket board.

Thank Post
    Just to echo what other people have said in this thread. OCUK forum is a really useful place to ask for help and guidance when it comes to building a pc (I'm a member on there myself). They also do pre-built systems which you might prefer if your out of touch hardware wise.

Having owned both the Antec 900 and the CM-690II I'd choose the latter. Antec 900 is a nightmare to keep clean (no dust filters) and there isn't much space to hide the cables). Was so glad when I got rid of my 900.

I recently bought myself a Sandybridge system and would recommend the following:
    CPU - i5-2500 (get the 'K' version if you plan to overclock) If you do get the K version then I would suggest you get an after-market cooler.
    MOBO - Either MSI or Gigabyte as there were problems with ASUS boards (although the problems may now be fixed with latest BIOS update). If you go for the P67 chipset over the Z68 make sure the motherboard is B3 revision.
    Case - See above. There is a 'lite' and an 'advanced' version.
    PSU - Looking at 500-600W. Buy one from a known brand like ones gshaw has mentioned and you can't go wrong really).
    GPU - Well depends if you want to go red team (ATI) or green team (Nvidia). Nvidia tend to have better drivers from personal experience. You might find this website useful for deciding which card to go for as you can compare the benchmark results of two cards of your choosing. I currently have a GTX 470 but will be looking at updating it at a later date.
    HDD - Get an SSD if you can get one in your budget for your OS, and games.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast